ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To car cover or not to car cover

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2021, 12:12 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To car cover or not to car cover

The age old question. With the weather changing and the car sat outside on the drive where it doesn’t get the sun over the winter months I’m in two minds about putting a cover on it. I’ve read load of pro’s and con’s, do’s and don’t do’s and I’m on the fence. Like a lot of things on the internet do you only ever hear of people having problems whilst there’s thousands of others who don’t bother to post about how great their car cover has been?

Fitting one is a potentially expensive mistake to make. I’d only ever use it when the car is clean and dry and try to strap it down to keep the wind from blowing too much dirt or rub the paint too much.

What’s everyone’s experiences with outdoor covers?
Old 30 September 2021, 02:29 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 673 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_
The age old question. With the weather changing and the car sat outside on the drive where it doesn’t get the sun over the winter months I’m in two minds about putting a cover on it. I’ve read load of pro’s and con’s, do’s and don’t do’s and I’m on the fence. Like a lot of things on the internet do you only ever hear of people having problems whilst there’s thousands of others who don’t bother to post about how great their car cover has been?

Fitting one is a potentially expensive mistake to make. I’d only ever use it when the car is clean and dry and try to strap it down to keep the wind from blowing too much dirt or rub the paint too much.

What’s everyone’s experiences with outdoor covers?
personally mate before I had storage I had a Halfords car cover for 60 quid odd and it was sound. I’m not sure what the weather is like by yours right now Tim but I couldn’t leave my cleaned waxed Subaru outside in these horrific conditions. People say they leave marks etc but as you say just strap it down good.
Old 30 September 2021, 05:18 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

It might be down to the cover - but I stopped using mine many years ago when I found that dust was getting blown under the cover and up onto the paintwork ; then rubbed into the paint work when the wind blew the cover about...!

Last edited by albob; 30 September 2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 30 September 2021, 08:23 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 647 Likes on 473 Posts

Too much rubbing in 60mph winds down here at Land's End
Old 30 September 2021, 08:36 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Not good on a white car.
Old 30 September 2021, 10:16 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If its outside I use a old duvet cover between the cover and car, stops the marring of the paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDM_Stig:
Old 30 September 2021, 11:04 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
If its outside I use a old duvet cover between the cover and car, stops the marring of the paint.
I did exactly this with an old beetle I had in the past, duvet and a Halfords car cover over the top, it was fine, although was in a sheltered area outside (on the hunt for another if anyone knows of one may swap/px current Subaru for a good one!)

It really depends on the quality of the paint currently on the car. If it is marred and already scratched, you aren't going to notice much difference with any additional marring or scratching the cover will induce. If the car is polished, you are going to see any damage induced by the car cover.

Having tried both, I prefer to leave it uncovered with an old school wax applied (ie Collinite 476S). Winter weather alone is not going to damage the paint (certainly short term anyway), paint is damaged by contact washing and anything else rubbing against it.

By saying paint I am talking clear coat.

Just my opinion, like you say, bit of a minefield, some say yes, others no. I am in the 'no' camp these days, plus the car will look amazing when you wash the winter crap off of it.

Last edited by scooobydont; 30 September 2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01 October 2021, 03:05 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooobydont
I did exactly this with an old beetle I had in the past, duvet and a Halfords car cover over the top, it was fine, although was in a sheltered area outside (on the hunt for another if anyone knows of one may swap/px current Subaru for a good one!)

It really depends on the quality of the paint currently on the car. If it is marred and already scratched, you aren't going to notice much difference with any additional marring or scratching the cover will induce. If the car is polished, you are going to see any damage induced by the car cover.

Having tried both, I prefer to leave it uncovered with an old school wax applied (ie Collinite 476S). Winter weather alone is not going to damage the paint (certainly short term anyway), paint is damaged by contact washing and anything else rubbing against it.

By saying paint I am talking clear coat.

Just my opinion, like you say, bit of a minefield, some say yes, others no. I am in the 'no' camp these days, plus the car will look amazing when you wash the winter crap off of it.
I use collinite on my cars and I haven’t covered the Subaru in the first year of owning it. I don’t cover my other cars but they’re not twenty years old, only 2 and 4 years respectively.

The bit I’m most concerned about is water damage leading to rust. I’ve already changed the boot seal and rear light seals due to them leaking, I just don’t want to end up with a car full of water knowing they rust from the inside out because there’s no way I’ll be able to properly dry it out until the summer if it does leak somewhere else again. I have undersealed it and it’s a toy so not driving on salted roads isn’t a problem for me.
Old 01 October 2021, 03:51 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I've used covers before and always found they marred the paintwork over time. Now I'll only use one overnight to keep the car clean for a show the next day, I wouldn't use it at any other time.
A good coat of wax and a decent sealer a couple of times a year is probably a better option.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01 October 2021, 06:46 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine ceramic coated and kept it topped up with wax for approx 3 years and it did it no harm over winter as long as it was washed often and leaves taken off etc. I’ve now built a car port for it though and it is obviously better. I wouldn’t personally use a cover, windy where I live in winter also.
Old 01 October 2021, 06:52 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 673 Likes on 521 Posts

Few negative opinions here regarding car covers, maybe I got lucky but i cleaned my old blob like I do with this one and never had any problems with unexpected marks etc, when you clean your car as much as I do you notice new marks etc ...it’s was wrapped good and never had any issues in 3 years of ownership 👍
Old 02 October 2021, 02:59 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

All good advice, thank you. It doesn’t get particularly windy here but it does often have a continual lower level breeze between the houses. I’ll stick with my waxing and not driving it in salt.
Old 02 October 2021, 04:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by burt2000
I had mine ceramic coated and kept it topped up with wax for approx 3 years and it did it no harm over winter as long as it was washed often and leaves taken off etc. I’ve now built a car port for it though and it is obviously better. I wouldn’t personally use a cover, windy where I live in winter also.

This what I do these days . I have an Altea that's stored outside over winter, we've had it from new for 14 years and it still looks mint and mechanically original bar the turbo (see below).

I regularly pressure wash to get the gunk out the crevices around the lights, plastic trims and around the window seals, snow foam, sponge off and rinse and apply carplan Hi-Wax in a snow foam dispenser (to damp to properly wax) before drying to keep the water beading off it.

Just don't park it under a tree, that will quickly cause a build up green algae/moss all over it. And if left it does etch the paint.

Biggest issue I have is humidity causing condensation underneath and in the engine bay: I use ACF50 where I can reach but still it rusted up the turbo actuator linkage last time (can't get to it with removing subframe). I thought parking over block pavers would'nt be an issue but unlike tarmac, it turns out they soak up moisture from the ground just like a building without a damp-proof course.

Oh yeah, mildew in the interior: Condensation busters (those boxes that fill themselves with water) and wipe contact surface with diluted Zoflora and spray a light mist on fabrics (including seat belts) should keep the fluffy stuff from growing - so long as the car interior is relatively clean in the first place.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 October 2021 at 04:06 PM.