ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

No VPower :(

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2021, 11:24 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default No VPower :(

Gutted, two Shell garages tonight with fresh deliveries, but no V-Power petrol on either lorry, just diesel and E10.
My fuel light is about to go on, so until VPower stocks are back and queue's are normal, I can only hang up my keys and use my Passat for another whole week.

I've been using the Passat all week to size up VP stocks, parking nearby and literally walking to the pumps to check.
Did use the Scoob tonight, felt lucky - then deflation set in.

All of the Shell garages in Aldershot / Farnborough / Fleet have been dry all day. Lorries deliver late, hardly anyone around....perfect...but no VP.

I won't touch any supermarket fuel either, Tesco Momentum may well be 99 RON, but mine is mapped to VP so would rather use that.
I've heard that the further up north it gets better, whilst London and the South East remain hardest hit.
Old 04 October 2021, 07:28 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

Mine is mapped to 99 , never had an issue with the Tesco 99 , i rarely put shell in , also you have Esso supreme 99 + , both of them would be fine in yours , if there a lack of fuel there’s a lack of choice , i would not use 95 in a car mapped for 99 , i would not use BP sul 97 , but if i needed too then there’s no reason 97 would not be ok , just drive more sensibly but no reason you would have an issue , where as 95 would be too low to use 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 04 October 2021, 07:42 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Gutted, two Shell garages tonight with fresh deliveries, but no V-Power petrol on either lorry, just diesel and E10.
My fuel light is about to go on, so until VPower stocks are back and queue's are normal, I can only hang up my keys and use my Passat for another whole week.

I've been using the Passat all week to size up VP stocks, parking nearby and literally walking to the pumps to check.
Did use the Scoob tonight, felt lucky - then deflation set in.

All of the Shell garages in Aldershot / Farnborough / Fleet have been dry all day. Lorries deliver late, hardly anyone around....perfect...but no VP.

I won't touch any supermarket fuel either, Tesco Momentum may well be 99 RON, but mine is mapped to VP so would rather use that.
I've heard that the further up north it gets better, whilst London and the South East remain hardest hit.
It's even worse where i am, down here in Suffolk there's been no deliveries of vpower to any local Shell garages to me for nearly a fortnight, like you ive always ran it on vpower as it's mapped to run on that and im dubious about putting anything else in the tank if im honest, hopefully fingers crossed one of the garages local to me will have some by the middle of this weekive got probably 6 garages in a 15 mile radius so i'll just have to keep phoning them regularly to see when one of them finally has some in
Old 04 October 2021, 08:01 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 645 Likes on 471 Posts

Nothing wrong with using both V power and Momentum; I've done 40000 miles in a mapped spec C on a mixture of both.
Old 04 October 2021, 08:47 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

My car was mapped for V Power when I lived in Australia. Haven't had the car mapped in the UK yet (it's been here 4 years) and I use Tesco Momentum here at well over 600 bhp without any issues.
You'll be fine on momentum, it's good stuff.

Last edited by dazdavies; 04 October 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04 October 2021, 08:55 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Nothing wrong with using both V power and Momentum; I've done 40000 miles in a mapped spec C on a mixture of both.
That's fair enough Hedge but ive always been a bit wary of Tesco fuel after my local station had a tanker of dodgy diesel in and load of cars had problems after filling up there, if push comes to shove and vpower doesn't rock up soon i'll have to bite the bullet and stick in some high grade from Tesco, kinda stuck really coz don't have a driveway/garage and cars parked on the street so can't just leave the battery on trickle charge till vpower is back in these parts, coz if the car sits unused for a couple of wks or so it's pushing the battery on whether it'll start or not
Old 04 October 2021, 09:10 AM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Would have thought as long as the octane rating isn't lower there shouldn't be any problems. I have a mix of vpower and ultimate in the tank now. I feel dirty.
Old 04 October 2021, 09:21 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

As said, Tesco99, Esso99 or Vpower are all good, I've been using all 3 of them without any problems.
Old 04 October 2021, 10:32 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

i was told by the mapper who knows his stuff , to avoid bp ultimate as it has a lot of additives , i would always look to fill in order of first tesco 99 , shell 99 , esso 99 , then if no other 99 then if i have to a 97 octane bp being at the bottom of the list 👍
Old 04 October 2021, 03:16 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
i was told by the mapper who knows his stuff , to avoid bp ultimate as it has a lot of additives , i would always look to fill in order of first tesco 99 , shell 99 , esso 99 , then if no other 99 then if i have to a 97 octane bp being at the bottom of the list 👍
Yeah, same here. AF said BP wasn't worth it as it caused det almost at the same level as normal fuel but that Tesco 99 was interchangeable with Shell V Power. I suspect the age of the fuel in your tank will have a greater bearing on octane than whether or not you've gone for Tesco 99 or Shell 99.
Old 04 October 2021, 06:07 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

There's an Esso on the Hog's Back near me, I must admit....I had absolutely no idea Esso even did a 99 RON.
I assume Esso 99 is still E5 and not E10?
Old 04 October 2021, 06:08 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

There's an Esso on the Hog's Back near me, I must admit....I had absolutely no idea Esso even did a 99 RON.
I assume Esso 99 is still E5 and not E10?
Esso99 is E5
Old 04 October 2021, 06:51 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
Esso99 is E5
Its says that on the pump E5 but ive heard reports that esso 99 has no ethanol in it at all, its just summit they have to put on the pump because the law requires it 👍

Last edited by lockheed; 04 October 2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04 October 2021, 07:27 PM
Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My JDM has run on Tesco Momentum without issue and I mainly use V Power, going between the has been fine. You could stick a bottle of octane booster in with Momentum and pootle round off boost if needed.
Old 05 October 2021, 05:33 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Just managed to fill up with VPower. Topped up with diesel in the Passat at the Esso, sadly they didn't have Supreme 99+ as I was interested in trying it out.

Then checked the Shell in Farnborough near the Queens Hotel. They had VP and all the fuels, everything.
Only half the pumps are open, but the guy said they had enough for all day.

9am for the masses, 5am for the headcases!
Old 05 October 2021, 07:23 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Just managed to fill up with VPower. Topped up with diesel in the Passat at the Esso, sadly they didn't have Supreme 99+ as I was interested in trying it out.

Then checked the Shell in Farnborough near the Queens Hotel. They had VP and all the fuels, everything.
Only half the pumps are open, but the guy said they had enough for all day.

9am for the masses, 5am for the headcases!
I had no joy again yesterday with vpower, had to bow down to the sorry looking petrol gauge and stick in 20 quid of momentum 99 for now, will hopefully fill tank up with vpower b4 the wks out tho.
Old 10 October 2021, 09:12 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

OMFG Ł1.60 a litre I've just paid at my nearest Shell garage!!!
Old 10 October 2021, 11:12 AM
Mystical Sound
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh I was in the same boat! Shell Vpower is quite a bit more now. I filled up with Tesco Momentum 99 yesterday @ Ł1.409 a litre.
Old 10 October 2021, 02:55 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

OMFG Ł1.60 a litre I've just paid at my nearest Shell garage!!!
I finally managed to filled up on Thursday, Ł1.53 at my nearest Shell
Old 10 October 2021, 05:38 PM
Gazza82
Scooby Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve been trying to get any form of 99 for the last 2 weeks now with no joy until yesterday when I managed to get some Esso 99. 159.9 though!

Went out for for a good play as not driven mine for 3 weeks and done the lot and they still had some when I went past on the way home so filled up again ready for the next time!

The scoob seemed to be fine with my lead foot on the Esso 99 so happy days!

on the whole the fuel situation is improving though

Last edited by Gazza82; 10 October 2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12 October 2021, 08:27 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

I picked up a Sti Hatchback from Coulsdon in South London yesterday, it had just under a quarter of a tank and i had to get back to the North West which is a 4hr drive. I tried every Shell station in the area and surrounding areas, i must have been to 5 or 6 in total and all of them were out of V Power, it was soul destroying knowing you had a 4 hour drive and you couldn't get fuel, and the further i went looking the quicker the fuel gauge was moving.

In the end i got lucky, i decided to get on the M25 where i just about had enough Fuel to get to Cobham Services, it was an amazing sight when i pulled in to not see an "Out of Service" sign on the V Power pumps, it was Ł1.64 a litre and cost Ł81 to fill up but i didn't care at the time, i just wanted to get fuel and get myself and the car home.
Old 12 October 2021, 04:56 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Most expensive I have seen on Vpower so far is Ł1.55
Old 12 October 2021, 06:18 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
I picked up a Sti Hatchback from Coulsdon in South London yesterday, it had just under a quarter of a tank and i had to get back to the North West which is a 4hr drive. I tried every Shell station in the area and surrounding areas, i must have been to 5 or 6 in total and all of them were out of V Power, it was soul destroying knowing you had a 4 hour drive and you couldn't get fuel, and the further i went looking the quicker the fuel gauge was moving.

In the end i got lucky, i decided to get on the M25 where i just about had enough Fuel to get to Cobham Services, it was an amazing sight when i pulled in to not see an "Out of Service" sign on the V Power pumps, it was Ł1.64 a litre and cost Ł81 to fill up but i didn't care at the time, i just wanted to get fuel and get myself and the car home.
When all this started 3 weeks ago, I joked at work saying that Boris was going to put petrol up to Ł2 a litre as of midnight that night.....it's becoming a reality! Karma lol
Old 12 October 2021, 06:31 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

When all this started 3 weeks ago, I joked at work saying that Boris was going to put petrol up to Ł2 a litre as of midnight that night.....it's becoming a reality! Karma lol
You might be right. it deffo wouldn't surprise me on the motorway services as they are highway robbers anyway.
Old 13 October 2021, 11:51 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

Price of fuel hasn't risen much in 10 or so years so can imagine borris and his lot are itching to do it,
Old 13 October 2021, 06:34 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Still none near me in se20.
just seen a hoyer delivery truck at my local shell.
Do they have multiple compartments or just carry one type of fuel per delivery?
Old 13 October 2021, 08:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy
Still none near me in se20.
just seen a hoyer delivery truck at my local shell.
Do they have multiple compartments or just carry one type of fuel per delivery?
the Tesco at the sidcup roundabout (B&q on the a20) had momentum the day before yesterday if you’re desperate
Old 13 October 2021, 09:40 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

I think normally the Shell lorries carry two types of fuel. E10 and normal diesel was apparently on the Hoyer lorries when I was hunting at silly hours in the morning last week.
Old 14 October 2021, 08:01 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

I dunno if Shell is the worst hit amongst all the different fuel suppliers but since i filled up last Thursday all the local Shell garages to me av ran dry againluckily i don't use the scoob much this time of the year so the tank full will last me a fair while, to be honest i did stick in 20 quid of momentum to get me out of a muddle a couple of wks ago with no probs so ive always got that option to fall back on over the next few wks
Old 14 October 2021, 06:29 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

It's still the same here in the Guildford / surrounding areas. Shell around here have some fuel, but VP is scarce.
Maybe Shell are focussing on basic fuels...but VP has a big market too.

A mate at work has an EVO 10 FQ 360 and he had to put in a couple of gallons of E10 in desperation 3 weeks ago. He's pretty much stayed off boost, but he says it doesn't drive nicely with reduced RON. Hopefully he can find some his way tonight.

Shell must've lost millions of pounds in lost VP sales since fuel has come back to the pumps - but it would appear that their logistics department are not pulling their finger out. Perhaps it's Hoyer letting the side down, no idea, but Esso and Tesco will cash in - and fair play to them.

Quick Reply: No VPower :(