ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

22 or 24MM rear arb 2003 sti?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2021, 11:05 AM
Scooby0
Scooby Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 22 or 24MM rear arb 2003 sti?

Hi, been reading up about which to get on my blob sti . I have standard front and a whiteline 22M rear at the minute , but the whiteline stuff has rusted so fast that I want it replacing for a super pro one . Just not sure whether to get the 24 mm or another 22mm? Which is best as there the same money.
Old 09 October 2021, 03:15 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd be interested in this thread too for my Hawk STi. I have a rear 22mm (I think) but it's a Whiteline one for sure, and after only a few years the paint peeled and started rusting, badly.
If I had looked sooner I suspect it was rusting after just one year.

I'll never buy another Whiteline product again. Not only that, my front Whiteline ARB (not sure of the mm) carved two nice grooves in my ally lower arms. So I went back to standard on the front.
Shocking items by Whiteline.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09 October 2021, 03:33 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 202 Likes on 177 Posts

if whiteline 22mm ,thanks to rust it will expand to 24mm within few months😝
24mm adjustable one ,paint it before fitment
Old 09 October 2021, 04:04 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby0
Hi, been reading up about which to get on my blob sti . I have standard front and a whiteline 22M rear at the minute , but the whiteline stuff has rusted so fast that I want it replacing for a super pro one . Just not sure whether to get the 24 mm or another 22mm? Which is best as there the same money.
What suspension do you have?
I found thicker bars can make the ride harsh on coil overs, flat surface brilliant bumpy road no Bueno.
Of course all these things are subjective to ones preferences.
I also found the 22mm whiteline bar made the car a bit tail happy on its hardest setting.
I also painted mine with a zinc rich weld thru primer and it was as good as new when i took it off.
Old 09 October 2021, 04:12 PM
Scooby0
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
if whiteline 22mm ,thanks to rust it will expand to 24mm within few months😝
24mm adjustable one ,paint it before fitment
Hahaha tell me about it ! I’ve read up that super pro are really good and don’t seem to rust so will be getting one of there just don’t know whether to get another 22mm or 24mm
Old 09 October 2021, 04:13 PM
Scooby0
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by lockheed
What suspension do you have?
I found thicker bars can make the ride harsh on coil overs, flat surface brilliant bumpy road no Bueno.
Of course all these things are subjective to ones preferences.
I also found the 22mm whiteline bar made the car a bit tail happy on its hardest setting.
I also painted mine with a zinc rich weld thru primer and it was as good as new when i took it off.

Im on tein lowering springs with standard shocks , I can’t fault the 22mm one I have now other than it went rusty quick ! Just wanted to see if there was any gains from getting the 24mm
Old 09 October 2021, 04:14 PM
Scooby0
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I'd be interested in this thread too for my Hawk STi. I have a rear 22mm (I think) but it's a Whiteline one for sure, and after only a few years the paint peeled and started rusting, badly.
If I had looked sooner I suspect it was rusting after just one year.

I'll never buy another Whiteline product again. Not only that, my front Whiteline ARB (not sure of the mm) carved two nice grooves in my ally lower arms. So I went back to standard on the front.
Shocking items by Whiteline.

agree mate whiteline stuff seems to suffer for rust !
Old 10 October 2021, 12:29 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone run Whiteline springs?,I have some waiting to be fitted-is it worth painting/treating them before they go on?
Old 10 October 2021, 02:12 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 645 Likes on 471 Posts

Hahaha tell me about it ! I’ve read up that super pro are really good and don’t seem to rust so will be getting one of there just don’t know whether to get another 22mm or 24mm
I have both a Whiteline rear, and a Superpro front arb, fitted at the same time 3 years ago. I'm surrounded by the Atlantic on 3 sides, 2 miles away. You can guess which doesn't have a speck of rust on it!
Old 10 October 2021, 08:08 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're happy with its function then just take it off and repaint it, or get it powder coated (probably cost about £30 if you go to an industrial place). You could have it DIY painted and back together with very little effort and would save yourself about £200 for what is ultimately an almost identical part.
Old 12 October 2021, 09:39 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a 22mm Whiteline adjustable rear bar for my 2003 STi last month. My car has Prodrive springs, KYB shocks and Whiteline drop links. I was in the same position and finally decided on the 22mm. I am very glad I went for the 22mm. I have it on the middle setting and the turn in is much improved. I would not like it any stiffer as I think it would feel too twitchy as a daily drive. Front bar is original apart from the drop links.
Old 12 October 2021, 11:13 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 202 Likes on 177 Posts

i have adjustable 25mm rear swsy bar -middle settings - and 24mm front,adjustable drop links and oem widetrack struts with goupN top mounts,hardrace engine mounts,billet pitch mount,very good handling,perfect setup