ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Cobra alarm/immobiliser strange issue

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2021, 09:43 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cobra alarm/immobiliser strange issue

I have a Cobra 7928 alarm/immobiliser on my car which has been playing up. The car is knocking on 20years old now (cobra fitted from new by Subaru dealer which is odd as I understand the cobra system is quite rare on a newage as they usually come with something else...sigma?). I know a common route is just to get them ripped out at this point, however it seems like it’s all kind of fully functional - but it has the strangest problem...

it will only react to a fob press if one of the doors or the boot is open! If all doors are closed, the car does not respond to a press. So i can’t use the remote to lock it.

Equally it will not allow me to deactivate the immobiliser unless one of the doors is open. So basically once in the car, in order to start it I need to pop the drivers door open a fraction.

(it’s almost as if the default behaviour of it has been completely reversed).

Anyone happen to have any clue as to what the issue is/encountered anything similar?

I’m trying to decide at the moment whether to get the thing ripped out altogether or not, if it’s something fixable I’d like to keep it. If the control unit is on the way out then probably best to throw it all in the bin.

cheers
Old 15 October 2021, 05:08 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

try all the door sensors see if is a sensor playing up , is it always a certain door that needs to be open ? a new key pad sigma alarm fitted is around 300£
Old 15 October 2021, 09:16 AM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

No, it seems that any door can be open. So I guess that suggests the problem isn't to do with a single sensor, more so that there is a fault with the control unit, faulty wire or a bad earth or something?

Like I say it seems like the circuit behaviour of the cobra has been reversed somehow. So rather than only allowing the car to be de-imobilised or only allow the remote central locking to work with all doors closed = instead at least (any) one of them needs to be open.

If anyone has any recommendations for someone in/near the south-west who could look at this issue or maybe pull it out and fit me a new kit, let me know. I'd be open to just chucking the whole thing away but if I guess if I can get it sorted for a few hundred or less I'd sooner keep a system in, even if its just to prevent insurance issues.
Old 15 October 2021, 10:52 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 760 Likes on 631 Posts

http://www.moonscarradio.co.uk/produ...obilisers.html
Old 16 October 2021, 05:41 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amv#01
No, it seems that any door can be open. So I guess that suggests the problem isn't to do with a single sensor, more so that there is a fault with the control unit, faulty wire or a bad earth or something?

Like I say it seems like the circuit behaviour of the cobra has been reversed somehow. So rather than only allowing the car to be de-imobilised or only allow the remote central locking to work with all doors closed = instead at least (any) one of them needs to be open.

If anyone has any recommendations for someone in/near the south-west who could look at this issue or maybe pull it out and fit me a new kit, let me know. I'd be open to just chucking the whole thing away but if I guess if I can get it sorted for a few hundred or less I'd sooner keep a system in, even if its just to prevent insurance issues.
Cobra system central locking is controlled by the Master central locking solenoid in the drivers door. I would start looking there.
Old 16 October 2021, 08:32 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 389 Likes on 309 Posts

quite often find aftermarket central locking issues are as simple as the control rod has slipped / come adrift in the Drivers door
Old 18 October 2021, 01:27 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips... sounds like its worth getting the door trims off then and doing a bit of poking around in case it is just a simple issue. Just to note - there is no issue with the central locking itself, it works fine when putting the key into the door lock.
Old 20 October 2021, 08:39 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

With the age of it i'd want to check the contacts on the master central locking solenoid and give them a clean and spray with contact cleaner as a starting point.