ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza WRX STI blob-eye - YouTube video

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2021, 12:52 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Impreza WRX STI blob-eye - YouTube video

Many years ago (1998) I bought my first ever Impreza (Turbo) and since then I’ve driven many varied and different performance cars, but I always promised myself that one day I’d return to own another scooby before they got too expensive. So this summer i eventually bought a late 2005 blobeye STI.

I do regular (weekly) YouTube videos so I thought that I’d do one on my new (to me) 2005 STI focused on what my initial thoughts are of the car. I’m not sure whether links are allowed but I’ve paste a copy below. Hope you enjoy ….

https://youtu.be/0ExM7-YCh30
Old 16 October 2021, 08:12 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

That's a good video, I just gave you a like!

The knocking is likely to be the rear suspension struts. Subaru still use a crap grease inside them which makes the piston inside the strut knock....very well known fault. Even from new the struts only last a max of 3-4 years before they knock - pretty harmless, just dead annoying. There are far cheaper alternatives out there for rear struts that don't knock.

I sometimes get it on my Hawk, plus if you reverse and brake, when you pull away you may hear the rear pads settling back down in the calipers - again harmless just annoying!

It looks a very nice and clean example, not "Got at" either...keep it for as long as you can!
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 October 2021, 08:29 AM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

HawkeyeD thanks for the “like” and the info - stuff like this in invaluable 👍🏻
Old 17 October 2021, 06:49 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep good video. Agree with most points but not on the key fob. I prefer one button and the indicators flashing shows whether locked (3 flashes I think) or locked (one continuous flash).

The previous post is right, the knocking is probably the rear shocks. Does the rear of the car sometimes drop just after stopping - that’s a sign. You can get them repacked with grease or just get a new set.

Oh and Hawkeye D the brake pad noise can be fixed by using genuine Subaru pads. They come with a shim that stops the pads moving/making noise whereas generic pads do not.
Old 17 October 2021, 07:03 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 672 Likes on 521 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by johno01:
Old 17 October 2021, 07:55 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info gents - I’m getting the car on a ramp tomorrow to have a good look around so I’ll definitely focus on the rear shocks 👍🏻
Old 18 October 2021, 12:04 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Nice video. I've watched one of your videos before, probably on the Clio if you're a Renault guy as I had a 182 cup previously.
I think you've picked up on most of the common nuances of Impreza ownership!
I noticed you mentioned picking the UK car for the sound. I'd invite you to come and drive my JDM model to compare them as they drive very differently, same old knocks and rattles though!
Old 18 October 2021, 08:29 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
That's a good video, I just gave you a like!

The knocking is likely to be the rear suspension struts. Subaru still use a crap grease inside them which makes the piston inside the strut knock....very well known fault. Even from new the struts only last a max of 3-4 years before they knock - pretty harmless, just dead annoying. There are far cheaper alternatives out there for rear struts that don't knock.

I sometimes get it on my Hawk, plus if you reverse and brake, when you pull away you may hear the rear pads settling back down in the calipers - again harmless just annoying!

It looks a very nice and clean example, not "Got at" either...keep it for as long as you can!
Thanks for the info - much appreciated including the thumbs up 👍🏻 🤣
Old 18 October 2021, 08:34 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Nice video. I've watched one of your videos before, probably on the Clio if you're a Renault guy as I had a 182 cup previously.
I think you've picked up on most of the common nuances of Impreza ownership!
I noticed you mentioned picking the UK car for the sound. I'd invite you to come and drive my JDM model to compare them as they drive very differently, same old knocks and rattles though!
Thanks for watching - much appreciated.

You don’t happy to live anywhere near Gloucestershire do you? I wouldn’t mind doing a UK to JDM comparison video. I’ve never been in a JDM but will do one day I’m sure. Still happy with my UK for now though.
Old 18 October 2021, 08:50 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Im on the Herts/Essex boarder so not exactly close no. If you’re ever heading over this way though I’d be happy for you to stop over and have a run out 👍
Old 18 October 2021, 09:25 PM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Im on the Herts/Essex boarder so not exactly close no. If you’re ever heading over this way though I’d be happy for you to stop over and have a run out 👍
Thanks buddy - not sure we could be further apart 🤣🤣 If I’m ever down there I’ll message you 👍🏻
Old 19 October 2021, 11:43 AM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Probably couldn’t live further east to west 🤣 ….. never mind, thanks for the offer if I’m ever down that part of the country. Thanks
Old 19 October 2021, 05:19 PM
Samu81
Scooby Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can drill a "grease nipples" onto strut towers rather than listen that annoying knocking for months. The knocking will only get worse ... This gease nipple fix was common thing to do back in the days. Unfortunately cant find the DIY guide for it, but in a difficulty scale 1-5 it was like 1.
The following 2 users liked this post by Samu81:
Old 20 October 2021, 07:31 AM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Samu81
You can drill a "grease nipples" onto strut towers rather than listen that annoying knocking for months. The knocking will only get worse ... This gease nipple fix was common thing to do back in the days. Unfortunately cant find the DIY guide for it, but in a difficulty scale 1-5 it was like 1.
This link has the information about the inverted struts...
Link
The following 3 users liked this post by jason7579:
Old 20 October 2021, 09:31 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Just watched the videos. Nice looking car. I have said it before why did i sell mine ??
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Y:
Old 20 October 2021, 11:36 AM
RichDobie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info on the struts - much appreciated 👍🏻
Old 20 October 2021, 01:22 PM
Samu81
Scooby Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Just watched the videos. Nice looking car. I have said it before why did i sell mine ??
I missed mine for years ... even after owning cars like Porsche 911 (997) and Ferrari 360. These "modern classic" STI's are kind of special breed, pure analogue driving experience, last of its kinds, IMHO. I personally think that now is time to get one if you want as original & as unmolested as possible w/o tons of miles on the odometer.

I found one, but had to pay thousands of pounds more for it compared what I got when I sold my ex over 5 and ½ ago! And ex car had freshly rebuilt motor, clutch, etc. all done and mileage was just over 100k miles. But TBH, my experience is from LHD car which IMHO are more rare than UK / JDM ones, if thinking standard (GDB) STI's - not special Spec-C etc. variants
The following 2 users liked this post by Samu81:
Old 21 October 2021, 09:44 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Y
JDM hawk A line for sale with a blown engine. Could be a good project for you mate. I know a guy in Brum who does rebuilds if you're interested.
Old 21 October 2021, 09:52 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
JDM hawk A line for sale with a blown engine. Could be a good project for you mate. I know a guy in Brum who does rebuilds if you're interested.
I think he’s already sold that Nossy.
Old 21 October 2021, 09:54 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 448 Likes on 372 Posts

I think he’s already sold that Nossy.
That was quick, but then I'm not too surprised based on what he was asking for it.