Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Pressure Washer

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 07:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of them washing by hand as them damn bugs just glue themselves to my front spoiler. Been tempted for a while and thought now is a good time to buy a pressure washer.

Whats a good make & model, wheres a cheap place to get em, are they easy to use. Is it an old wives tale that they damage the paintwork - if not what sort of power should I look at getting?

Simon.
Old 19 June 2002, 09:31 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

A Karcher pressure washer is fine and spares in plentiful supply should they be needed. Model 102 is great esp with an extra 6m pressure hose. Total cost around £110. I use one every day. Rgds Mark (Wax Wizard)
Old 19 June 2002, 10:22 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark. If its good enough for the legendary wax wizard then its good enough for me
Old 20 June 2002, 10:18 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

You are more than welcome. Its a good idea to get the extra 6 metre pressure hose as then you dont have to move the washer around with as you do the car. Mine went bang on Tuesday after nearly 9 yrs hvy use....within an hour I had it fixed and back running again.
Old 20 June 2002, 10:57 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark,

Fair enough, if you use one then i guess it works for you.

But i'd never go near a car with one again, having stripped off top-coat laquer around small stone chips on two occasions. They have their uses, but aren't they a bit harsh for top condition motors..?

Terry
Old 20 June 2002, 11:10 AM
scooby-dooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

I have a Karcher pressure washer model B602 from B&Q. I use it all the time to wash my car and so far not had no proplems. It also has 4 settings on the nozzel and is very powerful. Does a very good job on cleaning the driveway. Only downside is its cost, £300 but I think its worth every penny. Cleaned a rug with it on the weekend without any chemicals and it made it look brand new again.

evren

Old 20 June 2002, 11:11 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Teryy

Completely agree mate

I used to wash my MY95 with my karcher and it stripped paint off in quite a few places.

Now its had a respray I'm afraid its by hand or nothing....sounds familiar....lol
Old 20 June 2002, 11:16 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

I've got the 520M, great piece of kit.

I bought this particular model because of its portability (wheels ) and especially because of the variable power control via the lance. This is a particulaly useful feature which I think you should not be without when cleaning a car with one of these.
Using a pressure washer with a fixed output is very dodgy, with this you can adjust the pressure to protect delicate areas.

I think its going for about £150 at Halfords at the moment. 1600 PSI presure is more than enough to keep up with the big boys too.

I would not recommed buying a model without the Vari-Lance.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 6/20/2002 11:17:58 AM]
Old 20 June 2002, 11:27 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Terry

a pressure washer used incorrectly will and can cause damage that u have experienced. This comes mainly due to tackling jobs with size 13 boots and holding the nozzle far far too close to the paint.

Most pressure washers operate at 1500psi and commercial washers as in garages operate at anywhere from 2000 to 3000psi and also use steam. The later are clearly very dangerous in the wrong or untrained hands.

My washer has been adjusted by revalving...a relatively simple job to produce 500 to 600psi. This enables me to get almost within an inch of the paintwork with no damage and to be able to carry out detailed operations.

A pressure operating at around 100 bar (around 1500psi) the tip of the lance should not be closer than 6 inches from the paint surface.

Garages make the common mistake of using the YTS boy or a complete novice and then let em loose with a steam pressure washer operating at around 2500psi with a water temperature of around 100'c. That is why so many Subaru dealers are afraid to use them on the engine bay for instance....wrong tools, inexperienced or untrained personnel and using the wrong cleaning products.

Steam or hot water pressure washers are lethal and the number of cars that I have seen damaged by these is huge.

A standard and simple hobby pressure washer is absolutely fine esp if treated with respect when used on damaged paint. Most of those who have had problems with chipped p[aint have been trying to blast of bug splatter!!! However, if they had been using a real wax then the need for a pressure washer is obviated as bugs would just slide off particularly if the frontal areas are waxed around once a fortnight.

As always there are ways and means. Correct preparation obviates the use of a pressure washer expect for rinsing off and for wheel cleaning and underbody and or wheel arch cleaning.

When I turn up at someones door I do not know whith what I am going to be faced with. As each job I do I look at the car irrespecytive of the condition and just grin and bear the good or sad and sorry state and go back the beginning and basics and start over with a comprehensive clean.

On some cars I regularly look after I just hand wash and use running water to rinse off as more than that is not required.

Remember...treat pressure washers as a tool and a potentialy dangerous one at that. If treated with respect and think whilst you are using it you will not go wrong or have any problems.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:31 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Mark. i know this has probably been asked before........
But what area do you cover? and how much £.
Thanks.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:42 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Shaolin

Anywhere in the UK. However I never discuss prices on the board. Email at waxwizard@eurobell.co.uk and I'll reply in full with the requisite details.
Old 20 June 2002, 12:10 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I second Marks recomendation of a 6m extension hose - cost me about £30 but means I can leave the pressure washer in the garage and get comfortably round both cars.

Karcher are good - I think mines a 720 and I've never had a problem with it.
Old 20 June 2002, 12:30 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

FAO Wax Wizard....

Whilst you are around Mark, do you have a link to your description of how to clean the engine bay using a pressure washer and WW products in a thread from a few months ago?

If not I'll have to trawl the archives - I think it was started by PuffTMW. Stupid search is still not working
Old 20 June 2002, 01:03 PM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try This

Steve
Old 20 June 2002, 01:12 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Boost II...Just for you as you needed help.
Have fun.

Warm engine to normal temp either by idling or taking for a spin. Then switch off and open bonnet.

Spray engine cleaner over everything bar two items (intercooler and alarm). Allow to stand (soak in) for a few minutes. make sure you have also sprayed the underside of the bonnet.

With the engine still OFF, begin your power washing but keep the lance at least 12" clear of anything. Avoid at all costs aiming the lance at the fins of the intercooler (they will bend like buggery). You can always make a cardboard cut out to fit over the intercooler. Alos make sure that the alarm hooter is pointing downwards or is stuffed with an old cloth. If it fills with water you'll short the electrical circuit in the alarm hooter (it will sound off when the ignition is on...I know it happened to me a few years back.

Aim the lance into all nooks and cranies of the engine bay. When done check to see if all is clean. If not repeat the proceedure.

When done take and old towel (make sure engine is still OFF) and mop up excess water from areas ontop of the battery, air filter housing and trunking leading to inlet manifold etc and also from slam panel and the underside of the bonnet.

Now start your engine and allow to idle (do not rev it up) until normal temp is reached at the cooling fan has cut in at least twice. Then swithc off again.

Now spray protector over the engine, ancillaries and underside of bonnet and then close bonnet and allow engine heat to dry the protector off. Whilst this is happening you can get on with something else. (If not wait for aound 45 mins) and then open bonnet again. Using the damp towel that you used to mop up water wipe over the underside of the bonnet to remove runs and do the same to air filter housing, slam panel, radiator top and radiator cowling, battery etc etc.

Stand back and admire :-) :-)

I'll send u details in an article I have done re engine bay if u have email addy in profile.
Old 20 June 2002, 09:23 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Mark, many thanks for the info. Not stictly related to pressure washers anymore but one point of confusion - I've been using the Samurai/Subaru wax for a year or two now and I have always applied it one pannel at a time, buffing off after a few minutes. Now you suggest greater benefit by waxing the whole car and leaving it a fairly long time before buffing - just wondered why the change of opinion? Posted on here rather than e-mail as it may be of general interest but reply any how you like, cheers.
Old 20 June 2002, 10:13 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Boost II...The wax that you have is an older mix/formulation!!! The new formulation (Samurai) is applied to the whole as per the article that I sent to you.

Continue using the wax that you have in the manner that you are accustomed to and THEN when you buy Samurai wax follow the new instructions and wax the whole of the car.

Have fun and ENJOY!
Old 20 June 2002, 11:55 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Bought the K300M today for £99 - been cleaning the patio tiles and the chairs and its done a good job. Tomorrow the car - will use it for wheels, wheel arches and front spoiler only for the moment.
Old 21 June 2002, 11:08 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

And when you follow Mark's instructions, this is what you get :

This is my old MY00 after Mark had worked his magic last year. It really did look better than the day it left the showroom.

Cheers
Chris
Old 21 June 2002, 04:04 PM
pmortlock
Scooby Regular

i cleaned my engine bay using marks instructions but didnt have any protector - what product should i look for in halfords tonight?
Old 21 June 2002, 05:06 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

also - what is the engine cleaner product?

Is that something you can supply Mark or is it something like "Gunk"?

dela
Old 22 June 2002, 03:51 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dela...I make it myself from an extract of oranges and grapefruit! It is full biodegradable and 100% safe. I use it to clean wheels, engine bays, carpets, trim etc etc. It is called Multiclean and at the moment I make around 50 litres a week. Available in 500ml, 5 litre and 25 litre.

We also use the same stuff at home to clean the bathroom, kitchen and toilets.

The stuff that I dress the engine with afterwards is also another brew called "Clear".

Mark...waxwizard@eurobell.co.uk
Old 22 June 2002, 06:47 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Sounds good Mark, the cleaner reminds of some stuff I used to buy in the US to clean my mountain bike called "Simple Green".

I'll no doubt be in touch to get some of this stuff off of you.

cheers,
dela

PS - are you still offering a ScoobyNet/SIDC discount?
Old 22 June 2002, 08:46 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Cool

And I can confirm that the oranges etc do a bloody good job. Never seen flys and brake dust fall off a car like it does with this stuff.

Cheers

Mark
Old 22 June 2002, 08:58 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gizmo555 (Mark)

Made your stuff. Giviing you 30 litres so you have 15 each and drop it of at the house for you in 6x5 litre kegs. Thx for the grub yesterday!!!!
Old 22 June 2002, 09:27 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark

Food & Tea was the least we could offer.

PS Never known anyone drink as much Tea. Thought mother in law was bad enough but you'd beat her no probs in a session. I'll arrange a permanent drip for next time.

Dog not happy about not being allowed in car until we get a cover for the boot to keep the mutt hair out.

Mark
Old 22 June 2002, 09:50 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

just to add my tuppence-worth psi is not the only thing to consider when looking at pressure washers , look at the volume of water output , easy to produce psi with very low volume of water . I know I'd rather wash my car with lots of low pressure water than very little high pressure water . Shop about you will get a good washer with decent pressure and volume of water but probably not at B&Q .
Old 22 June 2002, 11:25 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I use a HD640 ? which is a commercial job. It was lying around at work, broken, so I had it and fixed it.

Used to use a small Karcher. I found to get the high pressure, it would reduce the size of the jet, down to a pencil size, which was lethal and would strip uderseal at 50 paces.

The one I have now is ace, as the highest pressure still gives a wide jet. Still careful not to get too close though.

Edited to say Mark's multiclean is fapping fantastic stuff.

Edited again to say I think I could drink as much tea as Mark, if not more. But, he would beat me hands down on the Gin. !!

[Edited by russell hayward - 6/22/2002 11:41:51 PM]