Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2nd Hand 'Classic' Scoob Prices at Dealers - Who are they trying to kid ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 01:04 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I'm sure this has been done to death but, why do the dealers mark up the prices on the old-shape Impreza Turbos soooo much ??

Its scandalous for those of us who are hunting for one but don't want to run the risks of buying private.

The average price at a dealer seems to be marked up by a good 2 or 3 grand, and for what ?!? I know there's the warranty and commission aspects and costs of cleaning up etc.. but they seem to be more than a little OTT !! Some late old-shape Scoobs are going for more than just run in MY01's !! Are they just being greedy or am I missing something ?!?! Are they really selling that many ? surely with many people 'upgrading' to newer, higher spec Imprezas the market must be flooded with part-exed old-shapers !?

I realise its a quality (in most areas) product and you are getting a performance bargain etc.. but why try and sell a 2 or 3 year old car for a not a lot less than list price ??? I thought the days of minimal Scoob depreciation were over !?!

Sorry if this is too boring...

Cheers,
Old 20 June 2002, 01:24 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jerry, yup, know what mean.. although my local dealer seems to be quite good at not doing what you said above..

seems in general though, that even the dealer prices have taken a hit lately.. due to the apparent lack of buyers.

Alex
Old 20 June 2002, 01:30 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean.. when I was looking for one I couldn't belive how much more you had to pay to get one from the dealers.. I've seen rb5's for 18K OMFG However the bigger joke is what they'll offer you as a trade in.. they must make (or try to) at least 4 grand on them (assuming 14k offered on a rb5). just makes me mad when u see the finance and options on a new one
Old 20 June 2002, 01:34 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Jerry,

As I sold my MY00 to a dealer in February I know exactly what you mean...

My car was coming up to 2 years old (i.e expensive service due), had 17,000 miles on the clock, totally standard and didn't have air con. Had the shock of my life when they had it on the forecourt for £16,495. Now I don't know if they actually got that for it but 6 weeks later it was sold.

I tried to get rid of it for a while and they were the only dealer (70 miles away from where I live) who would even look at the car, let alone offered to buy it. At £16,495 that is only £4500 less than I paid for it nearly two years earlier. Who in their right mind is going to buy it when for a grand more they could get an Import brand new WRX (i.e not an obsolete old shape).

Oh well there are still people I guess who think the old model is better!!

Old 20 June 2002, 01:43 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i'm just going through the unhappy process of selling my MY00 May 2000 scoob due to a company car and a house purchase.

did not want the hassle of a private sale and i want the cash quick for a house.

my dealer has got another dealer a couple of hundred miles from me interested.

i think the price is fair and i'm hoping to hear the ok this afternoon that he wants it.

i would be v interested to see what price he puts it on the forecourt at :

2000 'W' DGM 21,700 miles.
FSSH
Air Con
Ex P1 Gold Alloys
Pro Drive Quick Shift
Sebring Back Box
Tweeters / Light Covers
2 new S03's, 1 other needs replacing very soon
Excellent Condition - and it is honest.

anyone care to guess wot its worth ?

steve
Old 20 June 2002, 01:45 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

At a guess dealers offering you between 12 - 13k?
Old 20 June 2002, 01:48 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Going by what I got for mine I would guess at £12500..
Old 20 June 2002, 02:56 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

Steve,

I could imagine it would end up on the forecourt at not a penny less than £15,995 !!

I've seen what they're like on part-ex offers too.. I remember the fun and games Rum* had when trying to part with his P1 and UK300.

The prices certainly have fallen a little in the last 12 months but I still think that MY97's with 60k+ miles on them going for £12,495 and above is really daft. Yep, its a lot of car, but the 'Trader's littered with them for under £10k. The later cars (like I'm after..) are going for more or less what they were being imported for new !!

Shame I don't like the new shape 'cos they're going for less than some of the MY00 'classics'.

Methinks I'll have to take a few risks and go private...

bo**ocks - you only live once....

Cheers,
Old 20 June 2002, 03:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

J*,

Go private and buy off someone you trust. You can have mine for 16k

nick
Old 20 June 2002, 03:23 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

jerry,

how much you want mine for then
Old 20 June 2002, 03:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

steve YHM
Old 20 June 2002, 03:29 PM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

Buying and selling is a game.
Dealers mark the prices up so they can make you feel you have a bargain when they knock thousands off, give 0% finance or offer a decent part exchange. They will tell you this offer is only available today and that they have other people interested. They will offer extras and further discount if you sign now, and disappear for ages whilst checking with their sales manager if it is "really ok" to let the car go at such a "cheap" price.

Most salesmen work on comission. The more they rip you off the more they get paid and the happier they are. Car salesmen are no different to Double Glazing or Timeshare agents.

What really makes their day is when some pore unsuspecting soul pays the full asking price.

Never be afraid to ask for proof of what a dealer paid for a car. If they say they don't have the invoice or details, report them to the Inland Revenue. You can also ask to see the logbook, find the previous owners phone number through Directory Enquiries, call them and politely ask how much they sold it for.

Above all - NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU.

And remember - "Just because you're not feeling paranoid - deosn't mean the're not out to get you"

Old 20 June 2002, 04:08 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

saxo boy : wont be able to receive mail on that address til tomorrow nite when i get home from work.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:25 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Never be afraid to ask for proof of what a dealer paid for a car. If they say they don't have the invoice or details, report them to the Inland Revenue.
Why would the Inland Revenue be interested
Old 20 June 2002, 04:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I basically asked what you've been offered cause I'd maybe try and outbid the dealer if you'd reconsider the private sale thing. Blunt, but I've made my point
Old 20 June 2002, 05:40 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Joey the MY00 I drove recently was up for 16.5k (~25k miles). At 14k I might have thought about it but I just couldn't believe the prices of all the old shape stuff, especially when you hear what people are actually being offered as a PX. Most other dealers seem content to make just a grand or so on a PXd car simply to get it out the door and free up forecourt space.
I will be buying privately or not at all.

[Edited by TurboBoost - 6/20/2002 5:42:45 PM]
Old 20 June 2002, 06:01 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Bought my current Impreza for £10.5k private. Exact colour, spec and mileage(ish) from a dealer was £13995-£14995.
Old 20 June 2002, 06:53 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

sorry saxo boy

dealer phoned back a while ago and said the other dealer wants it.

its goes on monday

sad day.
Old 20 June 2002, 07:19 PM
David1965
Scooby Regular

Pangbourne
silver x reg £16995
blue x reg £16995
Blue s reg wagon £11995

they have lots of staff to pay.
Old 20 June 2002, 07:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

How much for if you don't mind me asking Steve. Might help be gauge how much I could try to knock a dealer down by.
Old 20 June 2002, 10:36 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Lol

So basically, you're miffed that the car you want to buy (old shape scoob, dealer supplied) is too expensive?
Dealers price cars to a balance of profitability and saleability. They're not charities - it's supply and demand. If a car sells at a price then they'll mark it up at that price, simple as that.

They don't care that you can go and buy the "same" car £2k cheaper privately. They're offering a product and the market sets the price. If nobody buys at the price on the screen then the dealers don't make any money and eventually go bankrupt. While people pay the screen prices the cars will continue to be marked up as such.

PS. I want a P1. I think it's scandalous that these old shape, out-dated cars are selling for as much as a second hand STi7. I think they should be cheaper so that I can afford one. When I eventually come to sell it, however, I shall expect it to make at least twice what I paid for it. etc etc.......
Old 20 June 2002, 10:39 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

saxo boy :

soon as i get the money in my hand i'll post.

good deal imho. i did not want hassle of private sale.

all i say now is less than 14k
Old 21 June 2002, 08:45 AM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

Carl

All purchases/sale must be recorded for tax reasons. Failure to supply the taxman correct info can result in very large fines.
Old 21 June 2002, 08:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bit of a scandal

My local dealer has an MY 00 22K miles for £ 16,000

They offered a sad £ 10K for my MY99 with 48K miles six months ago.

AR$E
Old 21 June 2002, 09:11 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

All purchases/sale must be recorded for tax reasons. Failure to supply the taxman correct info can result in very large fines.
Isn't it Customs & Excise that would be interested, though?
Old 21 June 2002, 09:43 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

our dealer has an RB5 for £17k and a UK300 for £23k .... 23k??
Old 21 June 2002, 09:48 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 (51k miles) up for sale - bargain at £12950 if anyone is interested.

Jamie
Old 21 June 2002, 09:52 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I can only suppose that the dealers must be selling them or they would have to drop their prices. All comes down to supply and demand.

Chip.
Old 21 June 2002, 01:05 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought that the dealer 'rule of thumb' was to add £2k + to any car. This gives enough for a profit, fix faults, valet, service, advertising, support staff (admin), accomadation, cleaners, wages etc.

Anyone who runs a business will understand this, if you don't, you won't. Just accept that they will offer to buy the car at a price, which will most probably give them a profit after deductions.

Some garages go silly low on the offer but this should tell you that they don't need your car. A good price means that they have customers waiting.

IMHO.

F
Old 21 June 2002, 01:21 PM
davecoombs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Its not so risky buying private. If you are not sure what to look for you could always ask someone on here to meet up and look with you. Then theres the AA and RAC who will check the car over but in my opinion its a bit expensive, most of the stuff the AA and RAC do is probably covered in an MOT.

Quick Reply: 2nd Hand 'Classic' Scoob Prices at Dealers - Who are they trying to kid ?