ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Airbag De-activation

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 01:32 PM
JonoSA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a MY99 Turbo and would like to know if the passenger side airbag can be switched off. There is no key switch like fitted to other cars but I was wondering if they could be switched off via the ECU ?
Old 20 June 2002, 01:45 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I don't think it can be turned off.

Try checking your owners manual to make sure.

[Edited by MATTeL - 6/20/2002 1:45:33 PM]
Old 20 June 2002, 01:46 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
No...and Subaru (UK) will not advise you of how do to it either......too scared of any liability in the event of an injury caused by the airbag not functioning.
Old 20 June 2002, 01:47 PM
ScoobyJono
Scooby Newbie

Little bit silly. What do they do in the US where this is required by law ?
Old 20 June 2002, 03:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You answered your own question

The price to pay for entering the US market. The US courts would probably hit a manufacturer harder for a non switchable airbag that went off and injured a user, than one that was switched off and caused the user more injuries in a crash without it......right to freedom, and all that.

I had a *big* debate with IM about decativating the side airbags on a MY01, and they couldn't run away from the issue fast enough. Even wrote me a recorded delivery letter absolving themselves from all liability.

As a generalisation, Euro manufacturers tend to make bags switchable, Japanese manufacturers don't.
Old 20 June 2002, 11:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Any idea as to what happens to people that wear glasses and the airbag goes off? Would the glasses end up breaking, with possible eye injury from the broken glass?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 21 June 2002, 12:06 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Interesting point Dave. Why were you anxious to consider deactivating the side bags?
Old 21 June 2002, 07:53 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Any idea as to what happens to people that wear glasses and the airbag goes off? Would the glasses end up breaking, with possible eye injury from the broken glass?
It's not them breaking you need to worry about. It's them being dislodged on imact and then driven back into your face by the airbag inflating.
Old 21 June 2002, 08:50 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Harry

Because it was a MY01 with the crappy side airbag sports seats in, and I wanted to replace them with Cobra Suzuka race seats
Old 21 June 2002, 09:29 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave - A sensible reason if ever I heard one ;0)
Old 21 June 2002, 11:06 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Only reason we have airbags is because the US government refused to make wearing seatbelts compulsory.

Ever seen the video of the NCAP tests? Try to watch the Renault Clio test if you can, the crash test dummy's head bounces off the airbag and smacks into the A-pillar...
Old 21 June 2002, 12:56 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

A number of pipe smoking drivers are killed in the States every year by airbags (I guess I don't have to spell it out). I've not come across any records of injuries from glasses.

The main reason people want front seat passenger airbags de-activated is so they can use child seats. Pregnant women also should consider having them done.

An inflating airbag accelerates at 200mph. So anyone who likes to sit very close to the wheel should consider adjusting their driving position.

They are generally designed to inflate in a head on impact over 15mph. Hence if the impact is offset (eg on the front quarter) they may not go off at higher speeds. Or as seems to be the case in the the Clio driver moving forward meets the inflating airbag and is bounced off, either backwards or towards the window or A-pillar.

Also, if you are in any way involved (either a participant or helper) in a crash and the airbags have not deployed you should NEVER place yourself near them, keep a distance:

5" from side airbags, 10" from drivers and 20" from passenger.

Having said all this I've seen more than a few incidents where they have saved lives (including my mothers) or reduced injury.

[Edited by IanA - 6/21/2002 12:58:17 PM]
Old 21 June 2002, 04:44 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cheers IanA and DocJock.

Wrexy.
Old 22 June 2002, 09:45 PM
ScoobySu
Scooby Regular

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I am hoping that my experiences will be a reassurance to those concerned over proximity of airbags.

I was involved in a head on collision last year, which ended up writing off both mine and the other driver's car (no - not the scooby - we didn't buy that until March - but that's another story).

Prior to that, I had been concerned over the airbag on the drivers side - I am only 5' tall - and as you can imagine I tend to sit fairly close to the steering wheel - and I also wear glasses. At the time I was driving about 20k miles a year.

I am pleased to say that I needn't have worried - I HAD NO INJURIES TO MY FACE AT ALL. On the day in question I was actually wearing non prescription sunglasses as I was wearing my contact lenses - these ended up somewhere in the back of the car but the plastic lenses and frames were fine - in fact I still wear those sunglasses now!

I did have a some markings to my neck/chest from the airbag, and also my suit jacket sleeve was marked/burned from the airbag activation - but IMHO that was a small price to pay for being practically unscathed.

Again, apologies for the length, but I hope it is of use.
Old 22 June 2002, 10:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Question

The Alfa has a key switch on the passenger side of the dashboard to turn off the passenger side airbag. You get a warning on the dashboard lights if you have turned it off.
Dont know why more manufacturers dont do it.

Lee
Old 23 June 2002, 01:08 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cheers ScoobySu.

Wrexy.