Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Laser defuser ..... A bit controversial .. but .....

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 02:27 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a thought.
Was reading with interest, the thread about the laser defuser
Old 24 May 2001, 02:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I did not realise that plod used the number plate to take the reading - surely any flat surface on the car would do - on the scoob that would be the front of the car then!

May be wrong (has been known)

Paul
Old 24 May 2001, 03:08 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

They aim at the numberplate because its flat. So im gonna get out tonight and have a go!!! Cant loose anything! It may give a few secs extra notice on the detector!!

Jza
Old 24 May 2001, 03:22 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Question

You gonna bend it Jza ?
Old 24 May 2001, 03:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Looks like i stand corrected

This sounds like a good opportunity to buy a stick on number plate and stick it on the air intake for the rad.

Paul
Old 24 May 2001, 03:49 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

I thought about this too Paul, but wasn't sure of the legal aspect of these plates. Still, if it's good enough for a Dodge Viper, eh ?
Old 24 May 2001, 04:05 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Although I know diddly squat about lasers, I'm sure plod relies on multiple reflections from the car ie its not like he's firing a ping pong ball at you and if it hits something at the appropriate (right!) angle it flies off in another direction rather than returning to the laser (ping pong) gun.

...and after all, they're normally up on their little hill by the side of the hard shoulder and your're in Lane 3 so its unlikely they'e getting a stright on shot at you anyway. You might end up making the reflection even better if they are up a hill as well

If they do aim at the number plate, its probably just to make (simple-minded) plod's job easy

Sorry to be the party pooper but I can't believe it'll make any difference
Old 24 May 2001, 04:10 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Now this is a bit "James Bond" but no more so than a pop up spoiler on a Corrado.... What about a spring loaded No.Plate "hanger" that is pushed back at an angle ( 15 - 20 ) degrees by wind pressure as the car exceedes 50mph. Through town and if pulled, "Plod" would be none the wiser. Better wind resistance too .......... sorry guys.. already patented
Old 24 May 2001, 04:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

mixit - i like the way your mind works

I am not too sure on the legal implications - as long as the plate and letters are the correct size/spacing and readable it should be OK - famous last words...

Yep The Viper, MX5's, MG's etc do it so why not - I was thinking of getting a couple of the domed number plate screw covers, colour coding them and fixing them (with number plate screws) so's i do not have two small holes in the bumper

later
Paul
Old 24 May 2001, 04:39 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

Mixit,

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I was done for speeding by a lasergun-pointing police man who zapped me as I came towards him. The front of my bike is is anything but flat, and doesn't have any number plate, flat or otherwise.

Bros

Old 24 May 2001, 04:41 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mixit:
<B>Now this is a bit "James Bond" but no more so than a pop up spoiler on a Corrado.... What about a spring loaded No.Plate "hanger" that is pushed back at an angle ( 15 - 20 ) degrees by wind pressure as the car exceedes 50mph. Through town and if pulled, "Plod" would be none the wiser. Better wind resistance too .......... sorry guys.. already patented [/quote]

Maybe prodrive could do a version for the UK300 ...... that covers the whole of the front of the car and applies paper bag to drivers head!!

Jza
Old 24 May 2001, 04:54 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

LOL.. nice one Jza !
Old 24 May 2001, 06:37 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

More James Bond ideas: Howz about mounting the number plate on vibrating "thingy", causing it to move forwards and backwards at high frequency. Thus at any point in time it may actually be moving forwards or backwards relative to the laser gun, and so the registered speed would oscillate rapidly also.

Trying to do you for "somewhere between minus 50mph and plus 150mph" probably won't stand up in court

mb
Old 24 May 2001, 08:52 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

One stage further then.... a roof mounted, P.S.M ( Plod seeking misile ), triggered by the presence of laser scatter and able to home in on plod, secreted away behind the motorway bridge pillar and pepper him with the force of a thousand "Paint ball pellets", all on his freekin Rz ! ....

Enough allready....
Old 24 May 2001, 09:58 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mixit:
<B>Now this is a bit "James Bond" but no more so than a pop up spoiler on a Corrado.... What about a spring loaded No.Plate "hanger" that is pushed back at an angle ( 15 - 20 ) degrees by wind pressure as the car exceedes 50mph. Through town and if pulled, "Plod" would be none the wiser. Better wind resistance too .......... sorry guys.. already patented [/quote]

I once had a similar idea where I would create a plate that flipped around similar to the Kenwood Mask systems.

My idea was to have a little switch on the dash - when you fancy a mad moment, flick the switch and your plate would spin round to reveal a false plate

DW
Old 24 May 2001, 11:07 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

DB5 anyone ?
Old 25 May 2001, 02:51 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Military aircraft (including the royal flight) have laser spotting detection systems (i.e. spots when someone points a laser at them) and have some rather nifty response systems.

If I were to design this, I'd just use a very powerful laser to point back to the source and blind the *******. This was a trick commonly used by soviet trawlers in the 80's during the cold war.

I'm sure I heard an urban myth about a bored cop on the A38 pointing his radar gun at a passing Harrier which activated countermeasures and the situation ended up getting quite ugly with the Devon police.

Deep Laser-Absorbing Mica isn't an option yet.

rapiddescent
Old 25 May 2001, 05:23 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ooooh... Counter measures... maybe one of them little penlight lasers........ yeah!... take that Plod !!