Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

General performance stats for STi

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 03:37 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the 200+ thread has got me thinking.
I'm reasonably new to scooby driving, got my first in Nov last year, a STi Type RA. It lasted 10 (ten) days before I wrote it off (oops). I now have a STi III and was wonder what are the recognised performance stats running it with UK fuel.
I always use Super Unleaded.
What is the 0-60 and 1/4 mile timings.
I think the book speed for 0-60 is 4.8 but would be surprised if this is the true figure.
Old 20 June 2002, 03:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I dont think its performance stats that you need but some driving lessons.
Instead of investing in high powered cars that you write off in 10 days how about investing in some advanced driving courses and get use to driving the car before trying to let the back pass the front (i take it this is what happened?)
There is no point in owning a fast car and not being able to drive it or end up killing yourself or someone else on the road, performance stats mean nothing when your dead, remember that and get some lessons on how to drive this type of vehicle.

Tony
Old 20 June 2002, 03:56 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your very informative reply. Try asking a little about the circumtances before ripping into someone. The fact of the matter is the car was written off when travelling at less than 30mph. Maybe you could give me some lessons on how to spot oil spillages on blind corners.
I also didn't realise that I required advanced drivings lessons to ask a question about performance. I assume performance stats are very dangerous in the hands of those who don't know how to read them properly.
As I said, I am new to the bbs, if this is the type of response I can expect from a perfectly innocent question, I will soon be gone.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:00 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Tony, A bit hasty there m8?

hail-hail, the figures you gave are about right. Qtr mile is around 13.5 Secs, 0-100 about 12.5 and 30-70 about 4.4 secs

see http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 6/20/2002 4:00:52 PM]
Old 20 June 2002, 04:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Id read the way that you have phrased you first message, the words i wrote my car off in 10 days of getting it are not the best to put down are they? My reply saying that you need advanced driving lessons is a good one due to the fact that you didnt anticipate this sort of incident happening, yes it can happen to anyone but it was you, unfortunate maybe, but it still happened.
As for asking about performance stats, well, now that looks really bad doesnt it, ive written one car off and i want to know how quick the second one is... hmmmmmmm but if you want to know anything about your scoob then your best to look at www.sidc.co.uk and dont write this one off and do take advanced lessons so you can anticipate or avoid this type of incident again.

Regards
Tony

Old 20 June 2002, 04:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Neil,
i feel that my view was very acceptable and that the advice about advanced driving lessons and getting use to the car (as we all know that scoobs handle a little differently than other cars) was good and informative
Anticipation of a blind bend is what is needed, not going into it expecting nothing to be there, taught in advanced driving lessons
Worth spending your money on, thats why im taking them

Tony
Old 20 June 2002, 04:11 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

hello hail-hail

I hope you enjoy your Scoob as much as I enjoy mine - please don't get the wrong idea, we are not all so hasty with our comments as Mr Tony Burns. Please continue to ask your questions - I have had a lot of useful advice in the last 2 1/2 years since I got my Scoob and the vast majority of folks on this board are willing to give their opinions without judging

Have fun and enjoy

Jo

MY95 WRX
Old 20 June 2002, 04:16 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I'll make my point again for those who are hard of hearing. The car was crashed on a blind corner, at 30mph, because of an oil slick.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that there is an advanced driving course that gives the driver the abiltiy to spot oil on the road on a blind corner. If there is I'm sure drivers of Subarus and Mini Metros alike would be delighted to hear about it.
The next time somebody says to me "Nice car mate how quick is it". I'll just reply "Don't know, haven't been on an advanced driving course yet, so it's a secret"
If you have somehow read my initial post as bragging about my crashed car, I can assure this is not the case.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Sorry Hail, ive had a bad day as ive been to one of my friends funerals
but i still say that the advanced driving course is one of the best you can take, you will get chances to do training on skid pans etc, it gives you a better insite to driving your car and its abilities along with your own.
Its also ashame that you can no longer do the wetter the better course as that too would enlighten you to your scoobs capabilities (i missed out on the last one which was a blow )
Im sorry if i caused offence but you did make it look bad in your first post and i do get fed up of how quick is my car type posts.

Regards
Tony
Old 20 June 2002, 04:28 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Forgotten about it already, sorry to hear about your friend.
Ironically advanced lessons are something I have been considering for a while now purley because of the crash and the fact the I know I am driving a quick car.
The last thing I want is people to think I'm a boy racer that flys around the roads without a care in the world.

Old 20 June 2002, 04:31 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Hail-Hail,
bet you were putting a couple of marys behind your name after writin the scoob off after 10 days. Hope youhave fun with your latest.

Tony Burns, sorry to hear about your friend, funerals aren't fun (trust me I know at 33 I shouldn't have been to 5) hope you bounce back to your usual self (ie rippin me apart at every opportunity) only kiddin.

Neil-others talking of judging people in light of Tony's circumstances and his normal JOVIAL attitude I think he can be ecused from class this once.

Cheers Hawkeye

[Edited by hawkeye - 6/20/2002 4:34:02 PM]
Old 20 June 2002, 04:51 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Tony, You missed the winky and the smiley. May not have been the best time for such things, but we was'nt to know. Comiserations m8.

You were spot on about taking advanced driving course being the best mod for the car. It's the only mod you can use irrespective of the car you drive. Driver skill is also one of the largest factors in determining the performance of the car.
Old 21 June 2002, 06:02 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Ignore the figures and enjoy it - MY02 STi is quoted as having from 261 bhp to 280 bhp and running 60 in under 5 secs or just over 5 secs or spend £ 3.50 and it will run under 3 secs and have 335 bhp - lets face it if you are lucky enough to run a scoob then it is bloody fast, corners like it is on rails and sounds glorious so just enjoy it.

PS: I am new to this BBS and the reply you first received seemed out of character fr this sight.

Ian
Old 21 June 2002, 06:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ian, i was having a bad day
but your welcome to come along to the next Manchester meet and see us nice friendly people if you wish
just keep an eye out on the northern message board (end of this month is the next meet!)

Tony
Old 21 June 2002, 11:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autocar had 4.5 and 12.5 for 0-60 and 0-100 for an STi IIRC. The STi (non-RA) ratios are arguably a nice compromise for 1/4 mile times between the RA and the UKs.

You might consider adding a quality octane booster as well to get a bit more safety and a little extra performance since the car is mapped for 100 RON.