ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legacy H6 EZ30 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2024, 05:27 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy H6 EZ30 Exhaust

Hello Folks - haven't posted on here in what feels like a lifetime, having been a daily visitor for over a decade. Hopefully still a few folks around that know a thing or two about Subarus. I have a 2005 Spec B legacy - its my wifes car, the exhaust was starting to blow out where the main pipe splits in two directions. As the whole exhaust was looking a bit tired, I thought it would be an idea to replace it from the cats back with a custom stainless system, keeping a resonated section and fitting the two largest silencers that could be got - still smaller than those which came off. I did expect it to be a bit louder, but not quite as loud as it turned out.

Car sounds tame when at idle, and has a bit of a roar when accelerating, to the point where after 2 weeks, my wife now wants to sell it to get something quieter. Reason for going stainless was that the independent exhaust places told me they were struggling with long lead times to source decent exhausts for Japanese cars - they said if you want some crap from Poland on the car it was available, but none of them were keen to go that route, neither was I.

I think I only have two options - Subaru exhaust which will be wickedly expensive for a 19 year old car, or try for a larger resonator in the centre section of the exhaust to see if it helps?

Any other thoughts I should be considering, or aftermarket exhausts that will keep this car as whisper quiet as it's original exhaust did? Car is in perfect mechanical order and I spend about £3K last year on refurbing wheels, suspension, calipers, only 60K on the engine, so lots of reasons why I don't want to move it on.
Old 25 June 2024, 11:15 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 384 Likes on 306 Posts

why not simply install a resonator in the centre section which you presumably deleted in having this exhaust made??
Old 26 June 2024, 03:14 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

There are two options , you can either change the wife 😂😂 or get another resonator or 2 welded in , it won't cost you much at an exhaust place , and is a lot cheaper than changing the wife 😂😂👍👍
Old 26 June 2024, 08:07 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Offer to buy her the cheapest, used EV you can find - they're quiet ?
Old 26 June 2024, 04:24 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still has a resonator in place, but is smaller than what came off - diameter is about 5" - would a longer resonator (same diameter) see an improvement or do I need to aim for larger diameter maybe by looking for something oval to keep it from contacting the underside or the road?

I suggested noise cancelling headphones - but was given "the look".
Old 26 June 2024, 06:41 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

You could get two more resonators / silencers welded in the space you have , the more silencers will mean the quieter it is 👍