Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wanting to buy Blobeye STI 2024 (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2024, 04:20 PM
hjgrez
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wanting to buy Blobeye STI 2024 (UK)

Hi all,
Looking for general advice into buying an STI, and if it would be a good idea in my situation. It would be a 'daily', I work Hybrid and have about a 40 Mile (20 Miles there and back) commute 2 times, sometimes 3 times a week. Currently driving a Mazda3 which I've done about 4k miles in 7 months. I'm 22 years old and make probably bang on average for my age, but live at home and pay a very reasonable amount in rent.
I know a WRX may be more dailyable, but just wondering if it is a ridiculous idea for the STI to be driven in these circumstances. It would be my second car, a definite step up and I've considered waiting a while and getting something different inbetween and giving myself time, but feel like I might as well get the car while I am still living at home etc. and can afford to have some fun with it. Looking to keep it mostly stock, maybe some minor upgrades for the first year or two at least.
Feel like the longer I leave it, the more unrealistic it becomes of me affording it, they will get more miles, less on the market, more expensive potentially.
Just looking for general advice really - is this possible? is it worth just forgetting about the STI and getting a WRX? How many miles should I be looking for realistically for a car that will be able to be driven in this way? Is this too much to drive on an STI?
Quite new to seriously looking into this, but loved the Blobeyes for a while, any advice is appreciated
Old 26 June 2024, 10:16 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 201 Likes on 176 Posts

40 mile it's 10 quid fuel a day maybe a little more
Most blobeyes will need underside job due to rust,even imports will have tired bushes and suspension
Better mod sti than wrx
My is an import ,over last 3 years i spent 7k for engine,3k for job ,2.7 turbo with hose ,fitting kit and funk motorsport turbo heat shield,3k for other engine parts -rcm parallel fuel rails, fpr ,injectors,process west top mount intercooler,coolant hoses,rcm pulleys,rcm catch can ,5k underside -subframes,coilovers ,sway bars,roll centre ,alk ,jdm quick rack,bushes,hardrace trailing and lateral arms,2.5k to sort rusted sills and front end painting,1.5k summer alloys,1k winter set of wheels,3k brakes ,900 damd carbon steering wheel and hatch airbag ,act clutch and fly 800,200 aem air filter and box- filter is to big could not put top cover ,900 swave and summit braces,1k sound system ,sabret -tegiwa engine oil cooler kit ,engine coolant hoses,wind deflectors,perrin rad panel,sti mini strut brace,s204 black dials,bonnet lifters, hydrodipped wipers alt cover and rad clamps , perrin rear subframe and diff lockdown kit,4 cylinder cooling mod,rear diff cover,asperformance uprated gear linkage bushes,piaa silicone wipers,lightweight front crash bar,tegiwa brake stopper,3" milltek downpipe and centre ,hks silent power back box,car has lph340 fuel pump and spec c roof flap, thinking yet about chevron anti surge fuel pump assembly . Last bit left is link ecu approx 2.5k fitted and mapped

plus approx 10k for a car

my previous wrx with lpg -had it 9 years ,did over 100k miles on lpg

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 27 June 2024 at 12:27 AM.
Old 27 June 2024, 06:54 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 644 Likes on 470 Posts

Have you costed insurance difference between wrx and sti? Do you have at least 25% of purchase price in savings for maintenance of a 20 year old car?
I've had both, currently own a spec C, but would happily have another wrx wagon for commuting. A good, economical intro to Imprezas, cheaper all round