Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Going from blob sti to jdm hatch.

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2024, 09:34 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going from blob sti to jdm hatch.

So folks I知 seriously considering selling my mint blob widetrack and getting a jdm hatch. Anyone gone down the same route and regretted it?
The blob is very tidy and pretty much standard with 94k on it but I feel I知 ready for a change and quite like the looks of a hatch. I知 not wanting a 2.5 so it値l have to be a jdm, Ideally I壇 get a spec c but the budget won稚 stretch that far.

Old 05 October 2024, 11:30 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 246 Posts

I still have my Fsti , I bought a twin scroll 2008 jdm hatch , I do like the hatch but if I was selling one it would be the hatch to go first , the piston issues still effect the 2 litre engines so they need a sensible map by a good mapper , less prone to fail as the 2.5 but the same design of pistons , I am not sure I think the spec c have the same pistons , the plus on the hatch is little lag but more lag than the Fsti , from driving the fsti lacks torque , has decent mpg but still not as good as the Fsti , mine has the recaro interior which is nice , but still prefer the fsti seats , firmer ride than the fsti , the fsti is on coilovers , the hatch is standard set up , I did fuel pump map and back box , comfy on a long ride 👍 im not a small person it's easier in and out of the fsti v the hatch and it's recaro seats that do hold you well do to bigger bolsters which are more prone to wear as they stick out further 👍😁
Old 06 October 2024, 08:53 AM
man utd
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’d 100% stick with the blob, I went down that route and regretted it and actually went back, I bought hatch spec c, liked the car but found previous cars I’d owned a lot better imo
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Not a lot of difference in reality apart from looks, depending on what you are using the car for?
Also the only thing I miss is the burble of a UK car, if you're not bothered about that then go for it.

Both cars getting on a bit now in terms of age so suspension, bushes, hoses etc will need looking at.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

the hatches are great as daily drivers (9yrs ive had my hatch for) - would i have one as a special/weekend car? nope id stick with your widetrack blob.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd go for a drive in the hatch if you can.
Although my JDM hatch was the most expensive Subaru I'd owned it was actually the least enjoyable for me.
I'm back in a UK WRX wagon with upgrades and definitely prefer it.
I wouldn't buy another.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

I thought the hatch was more popular , not getting good feed back here ☹️👍
Old Today, 07:15 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 651 Likes on 475 Posts

I cant compare, but dont need anything else but my spec C hatch. I definitely wouldn't go back to my previous wrx wagon.
I expect this will be controversial, but I read somewhere that the totally different rear suspension set up on the hatch makes it slightly less easy to drive fast, but infact faster in the right hands. Maybe not so intuitive.
..............However, I am willing to trade for a blob type RA.
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

My reason for the hatch buy was people were saying about the lack of lag on a twin scroll , it is much better than the lag on a standard 2 litre but , when compared to a Fsti plus the extra torque of the fsti 2.5 , I don't think it would keep up with the fsti , I've not tried yet 😂😂 the hatch is very linear acceleration so feels a bit strange in that way for a scooby , for a long journey I do like it , plus first scooby I have had that has the economy driving modes and shows your mpg , sometimes it's the little things in a car can make it better 👍😁 I agree it would be a good daily , think I need to do my clutch soon in it 👍😁
Old Today, 10:24 AM
TheOriginalAquapanther
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Hawkeye to a Hatch and I've had it 6 years now, just bought a 2015 WRX STI but still keeping the hatch. Really enjoyed it tbh, used it as my daily, has 115k miles on it now and is still fine, no issues
Old Today, 11:16 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

When i was getting back into Subaru after being away from them for over 20 years i spoke to a few people as to which one to go for, Simon at Chevron motorsport said to me that the hatchback is one of the best ever handling Subaru's from the factory, a lot of his customers that wanted track or rally cars chose the hatchback. It's why ive had 2 of them, a modified one that was running just under 500bhp and a stock JDM Sti 20th Anniversary edition, they are great handling cars especially the limited edition JDM ones like the Spec C and the 20th anniversary. I liked both for different reasons, the JDM one is the best as an every day car as it feels more modern, it's more pointed and responsive and the engine is a lot smoother than the 2.5.
Old Today, 11:18 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
I thought the hatch was more popular , not getting good feed back here ☹️👍
I wouldn't go back to a newage car unless like Hedgecutter says and it was a special model like an RA or similar.