Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Arghhh! --- about to by a BMW (no, no, no)

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 03:38 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hi folks,

I guess my wife wears the trousers in my house! She took me window shopping at lunch... result being that it looks like I'll be trading in my 1998 scooby for a 1997 BMW 328i SE Touring. How can she do this to me!

We've been thinking of selling the scooby for a while now - only 'cos the family has grown (one 2 year old, one 4 week old) and we'd like a little more room for all that junk (current I have a 4dr Impreza Turbo). I've been trying to turn my wife onto a Legacy GTB (or GT-VDC)... something in the £16K region, but she thinks they are ugly (point taken, but they do go like stink and have a HUGE carrying capacity).

So, how do I convince her that this beemer is not for us. Yes it's nice (full leather, a reasonably powered engine, all the options you could as for), but it's a year older than mine, has higher mileage, and they want me to part with £4K on top of the trade in for the privilage.

The sales guy is coming around to our house this evening so we can test drive it. Paperwork is all filled in (except for the final signature), so the axe may be falling on my neck and the scooby in a couple of hours!

Help me! I feel like someone is ripping my heart out!

-ColinU.
Old 24 May 2001, 03:43 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Make her pay for it!
Old 24 May 2001, 03:48 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Make her pay for it... you bet I will!

Thoughts running around my mind revolve around her pride and joy - a 1997 Mini Cooper S5 (genuine well spec'd John Cooper Garages custom vehicle... we paid £17K - yes £17K! - when bought new). If she get a beemer, then I'm going to take "ownership" of the Cooper, mod it even more, and eat every BMW (and a few scooby's ) that it meets on the road.
Old 24 May 2001, 04:08 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In real terms the BMW doesnt have a lot more room than the subaru. Have you sat in the back of it yourself with the driver/passenger seat in a normal position.

Old 24 May 2001, 04:10 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

The only thing "going" for it is that it's an estate... but I'm not convinced that it's got much more (or more convienent) carrying capacity.
Old 24 May 2001, 04:11 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Question

What's wrong with trading in your 4dr Scooby for a 5dr? It's not like your kids need the leg room, and you could take the opportunity to upgrade to an STI at the same time.

Just a thought.

Andy.
Old 24 May 2001, 04:11 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thats very true. The 3 series touring is limited on space.
By a convertible so you can stack your luggage as high as you like.
Put the kids in the boot and drill some air holes for them.
Old 24 May 2001, 04:17 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Trade HER stupid mini for a VOLVO or similar boring huge estate car.

Keep the scoob

JD

(My wife was delighted when I bought the scoob insted of a BM)
Old 24 May 2001, 04:23 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

We looked at the new 5dr WRX and I honestly think there's no more room in it's "boot" than in my 4dr (the old 5dr IMHO is slightly better on that front than the new one).

Trade in the Mini for a Volvo... there's no way we're parting with the Mini. It really is tyoo special to part with (even more of an emotional tie to me than the scooby... but only just).
Old 24 May 2001, 04:28 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Red face

The worlds going crazy

An old 3 series has less room in the rear than the Scoob, at least my mums did.

And to trade your MY98 in for an older car Your Mrs is mad Sorry don’t mean to be rude.

There must be another reason why, that your not telling us, as the scoob is roughly the same size, more reliable, and more sexy on the outside than a 3 series.

My family & company has sworn off them as they so bloody unreliable, and the dealers are just a joke with their stuck up attitude and damn expensive servicing. Then they’ll go brake something and charge you for it, or leave your brakes covered in brake fluid, and dripping out of the front skirt, and not even say sorry for nearly potentially killing you That’s why I have always check my car thoroughly after a service.

Stay away from BMW Scooby friend!!

M

Old 24 May 2001, 04:30 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Well I suppose having one car you really like has to be enough. More is greedy. My wife has a err.. Rover 214. We call it "Little Roger" becuase it rogers us time and time again - right in the wallet.

"Big Roger" is our Range Rover..... now there's a family car - or better a TD5 Disco - plenty of room and you can park anywhere..

The Scoob is the one we use now the family is grown up a bit

JD
Old 24 May 2001, 05:04 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Colin

Nooooooooooo..............

Make sure you print all this out before you go home tonight!

Mark
Old 24 May 2001, 06:23 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

3 months ago I went from a MY99 PPP to a BMW 330d touring, and have to say have not one regret and wouldn't change back!

The benefits far outweigh the downsides, and my BM has more room both in back and in boot than my MY99.

PLUS....after 18 months, the money I save on fuel alone will buy me a Caterham

Open your mind....
Old 24 May 2001, 06:46 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Buy an Impreza Wagon. She might wear the trousers but who earns the cash?

Old 24 May 2001, 06:50 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Red face

Gary,

If you prefer your Beemer to a Scoob, what are you doing as a moderator on this BBS, particularly when your next car won't be an Impreza either??

Hugh
Old 24 May 2001, 08:29 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Colin,

Wait !! - are you aware of the engine problems this model suffers from ?? - Ask the salesman about high oil consumption; worn cylinder coatings etc... ; supposedly caused by crap fuel in certain parts of the country but many have had replacement units as a result.

Cheers

Old 24 May 2001, 09:06 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

colin
are you SURE you want to do this??
your scoob plus 4k? is this car worth your car plus 4 k? i doubt it.
yeah, i chopped my my00 for a 330ci, but thats coz i never liked my my00. it sounds like you love the scooby.
if you just fancy a change, then perhaps you should try an audi instead. great build, and you get more for your money. i'm sure the guys here could offer even better alternatives, its just that this beemer dont seem worth it, if you see what i mean.
and with regards to bad service from beemer dealers, personally i have found cooperbmw ipswich LIGHT YEARS ahead of ANY subaru dealer ive had the misfortune to deal with.
is there any way of getting a family runaround for 4 k and keep your scoob? its a costly option, but it depends how much you love your scooby.
if i were in your position, i would consider a t5 volvo, or audi a6.
best of luck mate
Old 25 May 2001, 12:05 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Folks,

Thanks for your support (and the BMW info ranging from "good cars "through "service/reliability problems" to "is it really worth your car + 4Kpounds").

Well, the BMW man came around this evening. I went for a test drive with him, then my wife did the same while I looked after the kids. Her verdict - nice car, lots of power(delivered smoother than the scooby), very interested in buying it. My verdict - nice car (interiour / build quality), feels/handles like it weighs twice that of the scooby, handling is OK but not sharpe, engine is strong, but lacks punch. I had planned to throw it around the country roads, but it's relative lack of sure footedness and heavyish handling made me a little nervous to push it hard (only felt comfortable pushing 50%!).

Tried to fit some of the BIG kiddy stuff in the boot (a very large 3 wheeled double buggy) just to see what it's luggage capacity was like. Failed miserably! The beemer man was obviously wanting the sale and tried so hard to squeeze it in a dozen different way. He finaly managed to get it in - only by folding down half of the back seat... to which I said "so where does my second kid sit?". I had to chuckle.

The beemer man left with the good old "We'll chew it over tonight and call you in the morning" line (rather then signing any paperwork as he'd hoped).

I also printed off this thread (plus a few emails from many of you) for my wife to read. The beemer still appeals to her, but I think with your help/support I've managed to at least make her see some light and delay a move to BMW... and more importantly she seems reasonably OK with loking at some Legacy power house estates (GTB, GT-VDC, or even a non-turbo 2.5 quad cam). OK they may not be as well finished/equiped as a BMW, but IMHO they handle so much better, and have a huge load carrying capacity.

Cheers once again for your support.

-ColinU.

[This message has been edited by ColinU (edited 25 May 2001).]
Old 25 May 2001, 02:35 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Colin

Don't know if you're looking at the new shape Legacy.

The B4 RSK (4 door) is a bit cheaper than the estate - still loads of room, and better spec suspension than the 5 door I think. It's also much quieter, & you'll probably get leather seats. The interior/spec is light years ahead of the old model impreza. You will be buying a rare import car though, so they are fairly hard to get hold of, and there's not many people who seem to know anything about them.

One thing you will find different with the twin turbo is the way the power comes in - the first at around 3K, with the second above 4K. There's a slight gap in the power delivery between 4000 and 4200 as the transition happens. I haven't driven an old shape model, but I understand that this is much improved from the older cars.

There's still a very usable power band on the second turbo as the engine revs to 7800. You really need to keep it above 4k for rapid progress. (bit more like driving a VTEC)

Front brakes are only 2 pot & not really up to the job. Mine are 4 pot now & much better.

Much faster (& more individual) than a BMW & a real Q-car

Ed
Old 25 May 2001, 09:22 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

how about a galant vr4 estate?they look pretty tasty.