ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My biggest driving mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2001, 10:30 AM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ok we all said we were the best of the top ace of the outerspace (and its near suburb..)

Now : You screwed it sometimes! Dont deny it...yes you did! Admit it and tell us...I always appreciate a good one in the morning!

Maybe I'll tell you one...if u'r gentle ...and after you told yours...hehehe
Old 25 May 2001, 11:04 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

Good grief, where to begin? Half-spinning the car during the emergency stop on my driving test (the road had just been gravelled, and I'd never done an emergency stop ... my dad 'taught' me). Guess whether I passed ... of course not!

Or the sheep avoidance manoeuvre which saved the sheep's life but saw me hit a telegraph pole at 50mph. My first company car, and I'd only had it three weeks.

Bros

Old 25 May 2001, 11:07 AM
Low Flyer Maverick
Scooby Newbie

owwww that was so nice of you to the sheep
Old 25 May 2001, 01:06 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

One morning I got up very early for work after a hard session the night before..

Got my gleeming Fireblade out of the garage and squeesed it past my car, and parked it on the drive... decided I'd move the car over so I could get back in easier on my return... yep you guessed it... reversed straight into the back of the bike knocking it over...

jumped out the car and went to find my bike on its side alarm blaring and two indicators that were still attached flashing...

Ended up with a new mirror and a few scrapes down one side... car was unhurt...

Doh....
Old 25 May 2001, 01:17 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Red face

First visit to my girlfriend's mum's house managed to totally ****-up entering the drive, knocked lumps out of the brick gatepost & cause £500 damage to my (company) Corrado.

Relations with the mother-in-law have never really recovered.

Hugh
Old 25 May 2001, 01:22 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Cool

A few weeks after passing my test, taking my new (to me) Fiesta out in the snow to learn how to control a skid. Spent about an hour on quiet roads doing well, managing to correct everything and having great fun.

Time to quit and go home...a few yards up the road I start to fishtail and overcorrect again and again...end up hitting a tree with front wheels over a ditch. Have to get a bloke walking his dog to help me get the front wheels back on terra firma so I can drive off. Luckily only a small dent in bonnet and a huge dent in my ego!!!

Sean
Old 25 May 2001, 01:23 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Trying to find joy riders who had just stole my sisters car.
Found them driving about, chased them, got rammed by them, which disabled my RS2000 at the time.
Had to pay from my own insurance as they never caught the joy riders.

PLEEEEEEESE belive this story, or I am going to........

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2001, 02:04 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ork - I think you made that up You couldn't possibly have caught your sisters car in your RS 2000
Old 25 May 2001, 02:08 PM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bugger this man
Old 25 May 2001, 05:09 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Drove into a 4 ft pile of sand out side a building site....on a pizza bike.
I nearly tore my bollocks off and the builders had a great laugh...
Andyp
Old 25 May 2001, 05:37 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Talking

Geez... where do I start ?

Had me driver's licence for 6 months... Was driving a friend around, and we see a termometer with a very weird display... Nex thing I know, I'm hitting a parked van...

Been driving for 1 year, was "playing" with the beautifull blue eyes of my rear seat passanger. Next thing I know, traffic has stoped in front of me... guess what happened next

Getting in a car driven by Low Flying Maverick !!!

Overtaking on a 270º highway exit (1 lane exit) on the outside, without knowing the "track" conditions... Sand on the outside, go sideways, overtake the guy looking at him, but not touching a thing (but it was sooooooooooooooooooo close !!! :-) ALIVE !!! I AM ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 May 2001, 05:43 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Picture the scene... first car ( Mini Clubman ) had it 3 weeks, showing off to me mates on a twisty road, ditches on either side..... second bend....... bang, straight in the ditch....Write Off !
I blamed the Cross Ply tyres at the time
Old 25 May 2001, 06:24 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Wink

This was not one of mine (honest), but a friend was in a hurry to meet up with some other canoeists, put his roof bars and uprights on in the garage (1st time he'd done this) and drove out at speed .... only to find that the garage door was lower than the top of the uprights. 2 big "bangs" later he ended up with 4 nice dents in the roof of his Rover, which has not helped the resale value much

Steve
Old 25 May 2001, 09:34 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ork:
[B]Trying to find joy riders who had just stole my sisters car.
Found them driving about, chased them, got rammed by them, which disabled my RS2000 at the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take the M1 Abrahms next time
Old 25 May 2001, 10:46 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Mistakes?? I did make a small one once....

[damn it - nobody lets you link pictures these days!]

[This message has been edited by Boost II (edited 25 May 2001).]
Old 26 May 2001, 01:15 AM
ork
Scooby Regular

Mattd

"Take the M1 Abrahms next time"

Whass at?

Old 26 May 2001, 04:35 AM
Yankee Doodle
Scooby Newbie

I got my license on a Saturday, accident that Monday. A dusting of snow on the road, see a school bus in opposite lane about to stop traffic, I panic stopped. (Not thinking of the snow) Needless to say got rearended.

That guy was so pissed, he got the ticket.

Once took a turn to fast, lost control and the oversteer and ran the front of my '85 CRX up an inclined concrete divider. The front just slid like an axle grind and stopped in this riduculous postion. Embarrasing.
Old 26 May 2001, 06:24 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

ork

M1 Abrahams = BLOODY BIG American battle tank

Richard
Old 26 May 2001, 10:44 AM
ork
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeh, that would have done the trick nicely. Fire at will!
Old 26 May 2001, 11:18 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Smile

In my first car (a yellow Vauxhall Chevette, old even when I had it). Parked at work in the morning, worked very late, reversing out onto the road (on an estate, no lights working except mine). Didn't notice that someone had parked a skip 10 feet behind me until too late. Cost me and my Dad a weekend of panel straightening and cost me a lot of embarrassment explaining it!

In the Scoob: Discovering what lift off oversteer is when changing from second to third at speed on a very sharp left hander. Dipped the clutch and whoops - just saved it but got a real shock!

Laurence
Old 26 May 2001, 07:34 PM
MarkG
Scooby Newbie

Smile

First car was a nifty little Citroen AX GT. I was playing at the lift off/oversteer/take corner sideways lark on the way into work, carrying too much speed and slammed head on into a grass bank on the other side of the road.
Was driving my next car , a Honda CRX, down an unfamiliar and narrow road, took a corner too fast, and lost control. Hit the opposite hedgerow, flipped over and slid down the road on the roof, wedging the car up against the nearside bank. Broke every piece of glass and dented every panel on the car.
Old 26 May 2001, 10:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Was out with the wife (at the time, girlfriend) - I was staying with her and her parents (18 @ the time). Went for a drive in her Fiesta Popular Plus. Became rather "hot & sweaty", so we went to "join the golf club"....

Got there and decided to park up on the grass - yep - I grounded her car on the pavement and damaged the underside of her car!!!! I put it down to a pair of very heavy *********!!!
Old 27 May 2001, 08:33 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

My worst and only accident was when driving an Audi a4 fast down a wet country lane. I ended up crashing into and out of a pond and then into the field behind. I accelerated up to about 90, tried to take a long sweeping corner and the car oversteered (which is strange for an Audi), I tried to correct it, over corrected and spun three times. Luckily I spun further down the road and lost a lot of speed before finally veering of to the side, crashing through a shallow pond, knocking about 20 fence posts down and then ending up in the middle of a field. Also luckily, the car impacted directly backwards so I was squashed back into the seat instead of getting whiplash, or any other injuries.

I've learnt my lesson and got 4WD now!
Old 27 May 2001, 12:48 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Playing with lift off oversteer thing on a large wet roundabout (or mound) in my first car a very tail-happy AX GT. Ended up in the middle of the roundabout about 7 foot above the road. I had only been driving a month or so at the time, and was amazingly cautious thereafter!