Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi V5/6 or P1

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 02:54 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't want to reopen another debate on the pros and cons of spending the additional money on a P1. However, I'm simply amazed at how many 30k miles STIs have quoted "new engine and gearbox". I thought these Scoobies were reliable. That's ridiculous. Surely that alone is worth buying a P1 with 18 months warranty left.

There must be someone out there who can truly give a rounded overview of both cars. I've refered to EVO magazine and they rate the P1 over the STi. So why couldn't Subaru sell them ? They cost not more than a new STi6.

What is the average annual cost of running an STi ? How much would a replacement engine be ?

Any guidance would be grately appreciated.

Regards

Marcus
Old 26 June 2002, 03:04 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

By the time the P1 was actually available for delivery new STI6's were available for £24k, so it was a 7 or 8k difference. A new engine is probably ard £4.5k? It's a tough call now the P1 is £23k and an STI5/6 is £15/£16 - is the difference still worth paying?
Bear in mind that International Motors has a pleasant habit of offering a further 2 years warranty for about £400, so an unmodified P1 should have at least 3.5 years left effectively....

I bought UK because the price differnce was much less when I got in, and because the access to parts and servicing wasn't as well established back then - also I supposedly had an STI that could run on UK SUL as opposed to 100RON.
To be honest the main advantage, in my mind, of a P1 over a standard STI is the ability to run on 95RON if needed (running out of fuel nowhere near SUL is a horrible feeling), access to parts via Subaru UK is good also.

Ta
Chuck

(UK 22B, new engine (£8k worth!) provided under warranty by those lovely people at IM - warranty duly extended for another 2 years
LOL

[Edited by chuckster - 6/26/2002 3:13:35 PM]
Old 26 June 2002, 03:16 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Chuckster

Thanks for the prompt reply. What on earth is 100EON. Is that what the STis need to run on ? Is this a Japanese grade. That could explain the common engine faults when run on SUL.

Regards

Marcus
Old 26 June 2002, 03:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yes Marcus. RON is the octane number (Research Octane Number IIRC). UK standard unleaded is 95, Super Unleaded is 97, Shell Optimax is 98.5 AFAIK and the Japs usually run 100 cos they dont have the same restriction as us. Most people agree that Jap Imports should be run on 97ron or higher. Some also add octane booster to get closer to the 100 mark.

Simon.
Old 26 June 2002, 04:27 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Is that why the STis go through engines ? Do Skylines/Evos have similar problems.
Old 26 June 2002, 04:59 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Well, I love my STi 5... I wasn't able to afford a P1 and for the money I paid for it, I thought I couldn't go wrong.

ALWAYS run on Optimax, I even had the ECU recently reprogrammed so it had a P1 ECU effectively, which would detect knock and therefore lower output if need be to protect the engine. Car is always warmed up and cooled down. Never redlined either. So whilst setting up the boost controller (running circa 0.7 boost at the time...) a few days ago, my passenger suddenly notices a noise...

Turns out my Big End is gone Thank God I was with someone who recognised the problem immediately therefore minimising more damage. The car is now with someone who couldn't come more highly recommended and I am sure will be able to sort it out for me.

At the moment I have no idea of cost but as I looked after it so bl00dy well I am well miffed that this has happened

Is there no way to prevent this from happening on these cars? And is the gearbox going to do the same soon as well??? The car came with an RAC 5 star warranty but it looks like they only cover £1000! What use is that when it might cost 3/ 4k to fix (about a grand I guess )

Point of the story is, that if I had known that my STi would do this I wouldn't have bought it. But, I could never have afforded a P1 and the ownership has been wicked fun - nothing (bar EVO/ Skyline...) comes close. Even after fixing I hope to have spent less than a 2nd hand P1 and I personally prefer my 4 doors. As does my daugther

Hooked on Scooby's now...

PS The car has done 40k
Old 26 June 2002, 06:38 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Hi Kingsize,
You mentioned that a passenger noticed a noise from your car which turned out to be your big end bearing gone.
Could you please tell me what that noise was like, think i may have the same problem.

Regards

Gez

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2002, 06:40 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

There are a couple of pics of my car with the mudflaps on in my website

www.vuvz.co.uk