Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone know the best way to remove rust marks from inside the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2002, 07:51 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know how many of you have seen this.

Since new, my MY02 WRX has had some disfiguring rust marks on the inside of the wheel. Like a dumbass I don't have any piccies, so let me describe in laymans english (as I don't know the technical terms).

The rust (or brown deposit of some sort) is not on the alloys themselves, but visible on the rotating part that joins the wheel to the car! (no, not the brake discs or housings). Its visible just as a single patch on each wheel (almost as if the car were parked for a lengthy period in the rain?)

In any case, anyone know the best product for removing this sort of marking?

cheers guys (and don't suggest I simply wash it - have tried multiple times!)

DaveR
Old 28 June 2002, 08:50 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wonder wheels is quite good at cleaning alloys.. takes the brake dust off and any marks real easy.

You can get it from any Halford.. and if it doesn't remove the stain you can use it for cleaning the alloys when you wash the car anyway so you haven't lost anything.

Either that or some white spirit but wash the area afterwards..

That is what I would try anyway...

JGM
Old 28 June 2002, 09:29 AM
JohnS

It sounds to me like it's on the brake discs, as these have an integral hub part to which the wheels are bolted.

These are made of cast iron, and although they have a thin ocating of silver paint, it doesn't take very long for the rust to show through. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it, other than remove the wheels, sand down the rusty part, mask off the rest of the brakes, and spray with a high temprature silver paint.

Most people don't bother, as it only takes a few months (especially in winter), for them to go a uniform shade of brown.

If it isn't the brakes discs/hubs, then it should be possible to clean the deposits off the inside of the wheels. Sometimes there is overspray from the underseal on the inside of the wheels, and sometimes some spots of grease which attract all sorts of dirt and grime.

John
Old 28 June 2002, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

My MY'98 had exactly the same, and it was v. noticeable once I got it on 17" wheels. I painted it over by hand with silver high temp paint after cleaning down with emery. It's nearly back though, so I look like having to do it again.