Origin Blue i - Help Required

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 08:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Nigel
Mine was the same - no sat lock, I actually posted on here about it. I E-mailed Origin describing the problem and finished up sending the unit (not the whole kit) back to them. It was obviously duff. They sent a replacement unit which seems to work ok although I have not as yet given it much work to do.
E-mail or phone and ask for Mark.
JohnD
PS I have mine velcroed onto the pull-out cup holder (99my)for easy removal and have the antenna held by velcro onto the dash top. I usually get 8 - 11 sats. locked on.

[Edited by JohnD - 7/6/2002 8:16:44 PM]
Old 06 July 2002, 03:05 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After taking advantage of the group buy the Origin Blue i was delieved this morning. I read through the instructions before starting installation. I have two problems that some one may be able to help with. First who's found a decent place to fix this unit (my01), I am looking at the area next to the handbrake in front of the mirror switch, although its tight.
Second problem and biggest is I can't get it to lock to a signal. Instructions say allow 10-20 mins for first time, I have had it connected for 2 hours while cleaning car on the drive followed by a 20 mins drive, still "no sat signal". I have placed the GPS antena in the front screen next to a-pillar (drivers side), maybe this is a bad place.
Any suggestions.
Nigel
Old 06 July 2002, 03:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Apparently some units are duff and need too be sent back Also try putting the aerial on the back window shelf.
Old 06 July 2002, 08:51 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks, tried again with GPS in rear & front and still no lock, looks like its going back.
Nigel
Old 06 July 2002, 09:27 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I'm now on my 3rd Unit.
Like the product but reliability seems a little to be desired.
Recieved the 3 rd unit yesterday, took ages for me to get it to work with the modem.
Also having problems with it locking on to satellites.
Old 06 July 2002, 11:49 PM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

not impressed with mine (can't hear it with the radio on) great idea more r&d needed i think. shame cos the new (i.e driver notification) toggle is spot on, but i can't help thinking a UK map with positions marked updated monthly would do the same
p.s sat lock no problem in berks
Old 07 July 2002, 12:05 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Yes, comments here about some units not being up to scratch may be true. My experience mirrors some on here.

However Origin were quick to sort it out and my new generation unit is now working fine.

Aerial placement is important. If your windscreen has those fine heater elements in it then you will have problems. However in general if after a weeks usage the unit speeds more time hunting for satellites than working then you need to talk to Mark at Origin.

Don't give up, this is a fine piece of engineering when you get a unit that works.

WB

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2002, 08:16 PM
NBS
Scooby Regular

If you don't smoke it will fit in front of the ash tray with a bit of padding under the bracket. However hearing it could be a problem.Trying to look at it with sunglass, it lives up to its name Blue! Had 2 week problems with mine before it was sorted. Sometimes loses satelite lock when in use - not ideal.
NBS
Old 08 July 2002, 02:18 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Get a Road Angel - a very neat and clever British product. Very pleased with mine.

I had an Origin Blue-i for a couple of days and although mine worked fine, it gave far more useless information than necessary and the product packaging is hopless. It's bulky and won't fit anywhere properly, and the mounting bracket only makes things worse. Miles of cable to try and hide. Not designed to be easily and quickly removed from theiving eyes.

Harware differences apart, Road Angel really have their act together. Ultimately, the best brand will be the one with the best data-base and customer support.

Richard.