Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

read this if you drive or know someone who drives

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 06:55 PM
pmr147
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be aware of the new speed cameras which are being erected the complete length of the 'A' and 'M' roads.They are recognised by a tall blue coloured poles and a small aerial pole next to it.We may have a possible stay of execution at the moment it is being debated within parliment when exactly they're being switched on .SPEEDCHECK SVVD or SPECS went on-line last week-end on the M1 ,netting 4,300 offenders in a single day.

The system does not use instantaneous speed like the cameras we're all familiar with.Instead it measures the average speed of every vehicle over a distance of about a mile.It reads your license plate and then matches it up camera-camera.There's five overriding reasons for the habitual speeder to be afraid of this system.

1) It works 24 hours a day
2) Needs no film!
3) Uses no flash!
4) uses no radar!...
5) It's been proven to be over 99% accurate in almost all weather conditions.
It does'nt do spot-speed checking .The regular, current cameras can only check the speed of a vehicle within a certain range,so the tactics most drivers use now is to slow down for the camera and then speed up again once past it.SPEEDCHECK measures average speed over a known distance.So if you do 60mph under each camera and then speed up to 80mph in between,your average speed is likely to be near 70mph -10 over the limit imoposed,you're nicked.Its hooked up to the DVLA computers, and can automatically process the fines and send out notices in the post.It's Big Brother.Don't believe for a moment that this technology will only be used to catch speeders.It can be used to keep track of where every single car in the country is at any given moment in time once the network of these things becomes broad enough.

WARNING to M25 Motorists.if you are a driver then this is important!Even if you are'nt,you know people who are,so it is still important!.Please pass this one on to as many people as you can.There are 60 new cameras that start operating on the M25 on MONDAY 14 JUNE 2001.These are between the A3 and M40.They are digital and linked directly to computers,use no film or flashgun.They can deal with 60,000 tickets EVERY HOUR.The cameras are also(aparently)linked and can work out your average speed between them.
Old 06 June 2001, 07:02 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

yeah, yeah, yeah, bin there, read that, twice!

Sorry I don't mean to appear funny but it's been posted before and it's a load of guff!

Bob
Old 06 June 2001, 07:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Yawn,

and if you read this message on your PC a virus will immediately infect your BIOS and destroy your hard drive (IBM and AOL confirmed this only yesterday). It will then travel along your electrical wiring to your garage and render your ECU void, whilst taking another digital photograph which will be passed electronically to the DVLC who have direct access to your bank account. Meanwhile the US will read all your e-mails and you will wake up in a bath with your kidneys missing.

mb

Old 06 June 2001, 07:37 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Blimey, I thought I was being harsh
Old 06 June 2001, 08:20 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

.....and there was me stupidly thinking they were Trafficmaster......
Old 06 June 2001, 08:24 PM
satori
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol@boomer
Old 06 June 2001, 09:14 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Red face

C'mon guys, what's the score on this thread?

Who's pulling who's leg, is this a wind up or do I need another reason not to sleep at night (or even break into a sweat by re-living my last journey in my dreams)

Matthew
Old 06 June 2001, 09:19 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Angry

They are Traffic Master digital cameras which monitor traffic flow and *nothing* else. The only thing that the paranoid wouldn't like is that they "read" the centre digits of your registration plate as a means of tracking car a from point x to point y.

All very mundane and boring.
Old 06 June 2001, 10:35 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

You know what. I reckon this is actually someone in government being extremely cunning.
Write some screed that will read really badly, sew a seed in peoples mind that it might happen, but people will realise "phew, it is a hoax, as they are only TrafficMaster cameras".
Then, when in 3 months time, it is announced that it is actually going to happen, people's reactions will be a lot less severe, as they have been primed.
Classic tactic...
KF.
Old 06 June 2001, 11:16 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'll have SPAM SPAM SPAM egg chips and SPAM please
Old 06 June 2001, 11:18 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Folks,
If you do not belive that this is real then take a look at these:
Old 06 June 2001, 11:33 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Red face

Look lets get a couple of things straight:-
1. Yes SPECS exists

2. Yes it measures your average speed

3. NO IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BLUE POLES WITH CAMERAS ON

Just had a look at both of your links and they totally justify my position, NO evidence of blue poles in any of the pictures of the SPECS systems, not one, not even grey/blue, they are GREY, with dirty great big cameras on them with bits sticking out the side. Not at all like the Trafficmaster thing.

Just had a look at the trafficmaster site and lo and behold
Old 06 June 2001, 11:39 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hang on chaps..

I'm sure I heard that the traffic master system is to be used for speeding offences from June 1st (which has gone! )

Can anyone confirm this for definite one way or the other?

and I mean for definite. Not just shooting someone down in flames for posting what they thought was a warning to all of us, and not just saying "yes I definitely heard it"...

does anyone know 100% either way?

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 06 June 2001).]
Old 06 June 2001, 11:45 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Straight from the horses mouth Simon, off traffic master site.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
Passive target Flow Measurement (PTFM) uses number plate recognition technology to ‘grab’ the four centre digits of a vehicle number plate. This is turned into a four figure electronic ‘tag’ on site – no number plate data is retained.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

also Suart H answered a question on these not long ago, to even get the information from traffic master the system would have to be redesigned to be up to legal standards, rather than company standards. etc. etc.

And also using the excellant speed trap bible site from dteagles link above.
Old 06 June 2001, 11:58 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Cool

As a man once said to me " THE MAN WHO KNOWS EVERYTHING DOESN`T SAY ANYTHING " You work it out. . .O`YEAH what year is it 1970 OR 2001..CHAPS
Old 07 June 2001, 08:02 AM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Question

Does pmr147 want to come back and comment on the source of the info?

Darren.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:14 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've just had a brain wave, this is almost THE classic piece of spam, as it also has self condradicory phrases within the message!

from first paragraph

We may have a possible stay of execution at the moment it is being debated within parliment when exactly they're being switched on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and then the NEXT sentance

SPEEDCHECK SVVD or SPECS went on-line last week-end on the M1 ,netting 4,300 offenders in a single day.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, is it on or isn't it? Never realised parliment was that quick, went from debate to active status in MINUS 4 days!!!

Now the last paragraph I have no idea about, it could be that 60 new cameras wil go live next week, but if I were you keep that date in your mind, because this email/message will be round in another couple of months with different dates on it, guaranteed.