Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone Bought New via a "Car Supermarket"?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2001, 01:11 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Asked same question on Evo forum.

Anyone any 1st hand experience? Would welcome your comments.

Am currently 95% set on personal import, but prices quoted at some of the "supermarkets" look keen.
(note - not a Scooby unfortunately)
Old 07 June 2001, 01:24 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Old 07 June 2001, 01:27 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My dad has: Skoda Octavia TDi 110 for £5K off list from Motorpoint in Derby. He's been well happy with the service, the car is truly as new with just 11 miles on clock & all paperwork, etc. His is a Republic of Ireland-spec car, as it has Blaupunkt CD etc (which UK spec cars don't get) so it's an even better bargain than it first appeared.
Old 07 June 2001, 02:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yes, my company brought a Vectra 2.5SRI - 6 months old 8K miles FVSH (FVSH or miles could never be varified)
Initially they seemed fine, the car was OK and cheaper than others in local Dealerships.

Test drove the car - Blowing manifold and airbag light on - Car sup assured us these would be sorted prior to collection.

Got a call to collect the car, arrived - no tax - they said it would be
Manifold still blowing - Airbag light still on.

I refused to accept the car until these where sorted.

Waited a week, went back to collect the car
Still the same faults!
Eventually sorted (so we thought) - they did not call us to tell us it was ready - i got a phone call to say we would be charged for storage if it remaind there any longer!

The car was filthy inside and out, no spare key, no spare plipper for the alarm, no service book.

They promised to sort these out.
They never did in the two years we owned it.

They treated us like idiots and lost interest as soon as the deal was done.

The warranty - one of those nasty insurance type warranties where you pay out and claim back was not worth the paper it was written on and the company the warranty was with went into recievership about the time the gearbox gave out. We where never reimbursed

We had a thoroughly dissapointing experience and one i would never repeat again.

Old 07 June 2001, 02:11 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Paul -- this wouldn't have been a supermarket somewhere near White City would it?

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 07 June 2001).]
Old 07 June 2001, 02:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Carl
No, Sunny Northampton perhaps they are equally a 'good' as each other

Paul
Old 07 June 2001, 03:15 PM
Alan McCaskie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Looked at an MR2 with hardtop for my wife from Motorpoint and Trade-Sales but ended up getting a good deal on a fully loaded demo from a main dealer (8months old, every extra inc Tracker for £16k - no trade in). Equivalent car (less leather and tracker, Cd and alarm) from the supermarkets mentioned was £16.9k on the road - none until September. It would be £18.2k in like-for-like. Not a bad deal but didn't want to wait...
As far as reputation goes I know that they are both considered reputable and my Company (Bank of Scotland) finance cars for both - we don't deal with anyone. One thing to remember is that the car will be pre-registered to the supermarket so technically you are the second owner. If you do not mind waiting and are not financing why not import yourself and cut out the margin skimmed by the supermarket?

alan

Old 07 June 2001, 03:27 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Canm I ask how much deposit you left on the car (if any) ?

Its been a few years since I bought a car but my plan of attack for the future is this. If we agree on the deal, I'll agree to a 50 quid deposit, subject to the car being satisfactory when I pick it up.

If it's not, then I would walk away and not go back. Simple.

My take is this. If they have failed to sort the car BEFORE you've handed over your money, how motivated will they be to resolve any issues, once they've got it?

C
Old 07 June 2001, 03:33 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folx.

Not interested in 2nd hand, and as I said originally ~ 95% certain on importing....just put off by the timescales (since I am currently car-less due to being care-less).

Had heard that you are officially 2nd owner, which doesn't concern me *too* much. Prices seem keen, but spec choices limited. Just really wanted to know if there were any major issues / pitfalls.
Old 07 June 2001, 04:51 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

mik,
just picked up a new focus yesterday form trade sales, all pretty painless, my only gripe would be customer service when you go to pick it up.
They are so busy (50+ cars a day) the car wasn't clean out side and your told were it is if you want to go and check it over on your own. They are up front about it though, there is a sign on the wall telling you that "as there is such a high turn over we can't clean the cars" so know what to expect.
saved nearly £3000 on list and it only took me 2 weeks from order to pick up.

plus they've got Evo VII's in the show room.

Phill
Old 07 June 2001, 05:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

CA
To answer your questions

We left a £ 125.00 deposit on a £ 14K motor

Did not pay the balance 'till i picked it up. The car was not for me, i had a bad feeling all the way along and sadly i was proved right.