ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY01 PPP driven - 6th Sccoby on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2001, 06:35 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Whilst I wait for BMW to get its act together and sort out my M3, Ive been out looking for a new car. Had to be a Scooby. As I said in an earlier post, it was either a six month old P1, or a MY01 PPP.

Ive now had a chance to drive the MY01 with PPP and 18" wheels back to back with the P1. Prodrive certainly have done a great job on the conversion. I'm not sure the journalist at Autocar was driving a PPP car or not. There is a lot more get up and go about the car, and 3rd gear feels great. Whilst the response is still very linear it pull from low down is loads better. Ultimately its not as quick as the P1, but as has been said many times before during day to day driving the response of the engine and powerband probably make it a quicker car. When the P1/STI overtakes you they will be doing highly illegal speeds. It feels more torquey than any of my other Scoobs, but I could be wrong.

Before I get jumped on by P1 owners

The P1 does have a greater sense of occasion, it is a rawer experience, it does still look great and is a fantastic drive/car. Everytime I see one it will set the pulse racing. Unlike Dave my other half doesnt like Scoobies, otherwise we would own a P1 and MY01. For some the P1 is a better choice than the MY01. I surpose also having owned an P1 before counted against it.

For me I like the extra refinement, the power delivery and for me superior handling. I am crap driver and the MY01 flatters me more than the P1.

Ive gone for the UK300 PPP as my dealer sorted me a great deal, with a buyback when the M3 arrives. I was think of buying a std MY01 and adding all the right bits, but the sums in the end for a short term ownership didnt add up.

Any MY01 onwers that want boring more about my PPP drive, drop me a line.

Jonathan

Old 07 June 2001, 06:58 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Nice to hear Jonathan.

I too have gone for a UK300 PPP, and what you say is good news. the question i want to ask you is, does the PPP 01 give you back the kick in the back of the old Scoob. as i have driven a standard 01 and it was too smooth.

Scott
Old 07 June 2001, 08:08 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

It is still a different power delivery from the old shape. I personally would like some lag, and then the push. This is still very progressive, but you can really feel the torque. You can feel the extra 50-60lbft.
It will be interesting to put a MY01 PPP on the rollers against a P1 and overlay the graphs.

The feeling most people should get is exactly the same as the guys that just had the group PPP and fit. Their feelings mirrored mine when I had the PPP fitted to my old RB5. The same will be true for MY01 owners.

Jonathan
Old 07 June 2001, 09:07 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

congrats chins!
not long now till u own another car
only six months till the beemer? u could easily squeeze a few more in between now and then
by the way, why HAVE u owned so many scoobs? and which was your favourite?
i'm thinking of a wrx ra next(old shape)..mod it, thrash it, love it
Old 07 June 2001, 09:46 PM
Neil Barnes
Scooby Regular

I have owned a MY00 with PPP and I know own a P1 the main difference between the cars is the power delivery. When you have two cars so closely matched ie about 4.6 to 5.0 secs 0-60 There is not much difference but the P1 does it much smoother and seems to a lot easier. I would think this would be the same on the UK300PPP

Neil
Old 08 June 2001, 07:30 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Neil

I think your pretty spot on with your analysis. Only difference being the MY01 is a slightly smoother car than the old shape.

Spudgun

Why so many Impreza ?. On off love affair mainly. Some days I want the luxury, other days the Scooby.

Favourite Scooby. All of them have been good, and position somewhat is reflected in the price and the model evolution.

1st P1
2nd RB5 WR
3rd STI V
=4th Terzo & MY00

It will be interesting to see if asked the same question in 6 months, how it would rank. When I picked up the P1, I knew it would be number One. Not as sure with this car.

Jonathan
Old 08 June 2001, 09:24 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Question

Jonathan,

LOL, How much does car depreciation cost you each year?

Gary.
Old 08 June 2001, 09:44 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Gary

4K in a good year, 8k in a bad. Luckily as I'm in Sales I get a resonable car allowance and tax rebates against interest to help cover most of the costs.

Jonathan