ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

p1 or stick?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2001, 12:52 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Why not PPP your current car, uprate the brakes and suspension and you'll be quids in?

[This message has been edited by Scooby (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 08 June 2001, 09:19 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Have a my99 currently, but want a bit more power. Nearly bought an evo VI, but couldn't get a decent deal from Mitsubishi. Don't like the WRX (01). Have been offered a new P1 for 27k. Have driven the car and it was nice, but I couldn't give the car a serious workout due to an overly nervous sales person.
Am I going to get a serious performance increase for my extra money?

Are the running costs much greater?

Your opinions please.

Thanks

Paul
Old 08 June 2001, 10:13 AM
AL_SATION
Scooby Newbie

Maybe you should try and get another test drive, the P1 comes alive when driven hard.
And although £27000 is a great price for a new one I think you deserve the right to have a decent test drive and take the car somewhere near it's limits.

The change up at 7000+ revs is awesome. I have a my98 and a P1, they both need to be driven differently to benefit fully from their differing power/torque levels and suspension setups.

As for costs, the P1 does drink more SUL and burn more oil. The 7500 mile service on the P1 was £130 and the tyres are around £115 (I've had 2 punctures so far!). Any damage you encounter from stone chips to the front spoiler (well publicized) should be covered by the warranty, if you can handle the inconveniance. Mine's just been resprayed, they tell me it should outlast Prodrive's efforts but we'll see. (great job by Quenby's baldock - thanyou). Insurance will be higher of course, and I think you will probably get through the standard P1 disks/pads a lot quicker than you will on a standard turbo.

Perhaps, because I regularly back to back my two cars the differences are too obvious to me to highlight, and I don't want to bore everybody.

The P1 may face stiff competition from many cars often mentioned here for whatever reasons, but I own one, and I love it.

David.
Old 08 June 2001, 10:59 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
twist!
Old 08 June 2001, 11:11 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

why not just go for an sti??? not much in it....and a damn site cheaper!! The P1 is a lovely car granted and I wouldn't say no!! but to be honest having 6k depreciation on my car in little over 18months. There seems little point (personally) in losing more money just for driving the car off the forecourt....I'm afraid logic will prevail on this occasion (what little i've got left! )
Old 08 June 2001, 11:23 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul,

I'd be nervous too with some unknown test pilot in the car. With some of the recent deaths whilst test driving, you'd think dealers would arrange more track-days to do that sort of thing. At least you'd have proper training and very good safety precautions. I haven't test drove a car in ages, but I was asked to keep myself restrained when I took out a P1. With the death of a sales guy and his customer the year previous I could see their point. Anyway, I know my limitations as a driver and keep well within them. I gueSs everyone thinks their Michael Schummacher when it comes to driving.

The P1 was awsome, but it wasn't different enough. The new EVO doesn't appeal to me and I'm not convinced I'd buy a MY01. If only I could afford an M3

My RB5 costs me about £25 a week on fuel and I cover about 800-miles a month in the car. That's for 95ron, so expect to pay a lot more for the P1 running on SUL. If you want to drive the car hard, then expect the thing to guzzle fuel. Even in a MY99, you can literally see the needle dropping when your having a blast.

As far as the other costs, then it should be no different to any other MY99/00 scooby as it shares most of the wear & tear components. It's only the major parts that would be more expensive, suspension dampers, springs, intercooler, etc., but for as for tyres, servicing, brake pads, discs then they are the same as a MY99/00 - unless they've been upgraded of course.

Why couldn't you get an EVO VI for under £27K? Was it a typo and you meant EVO VII?

Stefan
Old 08 June 2001, 11:48 AM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

If the P1 you are thinking of buying is brand new and is the same one you drove, then it shouldn't be driven hard until it's had a 1,000 miles and a service. I suggest finding a dealer with a well run in one to test, and then see if they can do you the same deal. If you buy a P1 you will have a great car, as for depreciation don't worry about it. If we did none of us would buy new cars, just enjoy the car and see what happens.
Old 08 June 2001, 02:04 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

stefan, it wasn't a typo. I had my eye on a demonstrator makkinen at 27.5 k, but they wouldn't give me much for my car. I've been offered a lot more by the scooby garage (more than if I sold it privately even!)

The running costs of the makkinen also look scary!

Paul
Old 08 June 2001, 02:06 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

stefan, it wasn't a typo. I had my eye on a demonstrator makkinen at 27.5 k, but they wouldn't give me much for my car. I've been offered a lot more by the scooby garage (more than if I sold it privately even!)

The running costs of the makkinen also look scary!

Paul