Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Teflon Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 12:47 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a couple of dents in one of my doors, which I'm thinking of having removed by Dent Magician. On there web site they promote this teflon coating stuff, which claims you don't need to wax the car.
Anyone used it or heard anything about it?.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 10 July 2002, 12:59 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

I found this on the web relating to teflon in waxes:

Although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." This is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.

Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont.
Old 10 July 2002, 01:07 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

i think that polishes the thread off nicely.say no more.
Old 10 July 2002, 01:11 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

rofl! I thought about using that pun, but then thought better of it
Old 10 July 2002, 01:27 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

i don't blame you - it would never stick
Old 10 July 2002, 01:29 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

You've just jump out of the frying pan into the fire now.
Old 10 July 2002, 01:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Interesting as I think that the Wax Wizard Sheild Wax has Teflon in it and Mark knows his stuff......

Matt
Old 10 July 2002, 01:53 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

now your being silly
Old 10 July 2002, 04:11 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The quotation of the above is very very old. seeiung that dupont do not make a car wax that is why they have no data. Swissol (made by Anwander & Co of Zurich) to whom I sold up to last have been making paints since the early 1900's. With my expertise in waxes and their expertise in paints and the use of their extensive labs we have produced a wax with teflon in it.

Our data and field trials over the last two yrs and some 5 yrs of research in making this particular wax have provresd that the addition of Teflon has many beneficial assets.

We coat all the Riva powerboats with this wax and trials have shown that the wax will last for some 9 months under optimum conditions.

On my car that was used as a test bed, the car was coated in it last year and has not been re waxed until very recently. The car stood motionless all thru out the winter and after one wash the water was back to beading again. A paint sample taken from the car shown that some 20% of the original wax coating was still in place.

This aint the first time that this quote has been made.

However, even we and the swiss company that makes the Supagaurd treatment recommend that the vehicle should be waxed on a regular basis to protect the under lying treatment.

We are about to launch a flourp polymer treatment together with a wax and will warrant the resultant finish for a minimum of 1yr and up to 3 yrs depending on the age of the vehicle.
Old 10 July 2002, 04:30 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

with regard to the new product: can we get that english? :P

what is flourp ???? means nowt to me (layman )
Old 10 July 2002, 05:39 PM
Billabong
Scooby Regular

I think Mark meant to type Fluoro?

Found this on the web, not sure how accurate a description it is, but I'm sure Mark will correct anything.

"Fluorination is the process of blending ³space-age² plastic with wax to make the wax as slippery as possible. This very expensive plastic is the slipperiest substance known to man"

Bill
Old 10 July 2002, 06:36 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

If teflon is non-stick, how does it stick to the car's paint? Presumably the teflon particles must be suspended in the wax which sticks to the paint. I would think that the overall "stickiness" of the finish would then be dependent much more on the properties of the wax itself. Perhaps having the particles of teflon trapped inside might make add some extra resistance to physical abrasion and scratching? Any evidence of this Mark or am I on the wrong track altogether?
Old 10 July 2002, 08:02 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I have my scooby teflon protected every 7 months or so. Not only does the car look stunning afterwards but its so easy to wash. No shampoo...just water & the results are consistent. The company even do the wheels which certainly helps with keeping them looking superb.

My father had his beemer done (K plate) & the car looks in showroom condition. The company do a full de-grease before applying the teflon coating & the results are great.

If anyone wants the number let me know.
Andy.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:50 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

fluoroadditives are finely divided white powders of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) resin.
fluoroadditive powders are designed primarily for use as minority components in mixtures with other solid or liquid materials. Even in small quantities, they can impart some of the unusual properties of PTFE to various hosts. DuPont offers a choice of particle size and morphology to facilitate intimate mixing with dissimilar materials for example carnauba wax.

fluoroadditive powders offer: lower molecular weight, smaller particle sizes (2 to 20 µm) and different particle shapes and morphology

fluoroadditive powders are designed primarily for use as minority components in mixtures with other solid or liquid materials. Even in small quantities, they can impart some of the unusual properties of PTFE to various hosts. DuPont offers a choice of particle size and morphology to facilitate intimate mixing with dissimilar materials.

fluoroadditives can enhance abrasion resistance, reduce coefficient of friction and mechanical wear, reduce surface contamination, and modify appearance. fluoroadditives also provide specific benefits to specialized products.

When used alone as a powder or in a paste or spray, fluoroadditives can be made into all-purpose solid lubricants. As a paste, for example, they can be used as high-performance sealants or as lubricants or as coatings for surfaces in hostile environments. The powder can be dispersed in water or an organic solvent to provide another option for direct use or as an additive.
High melting, hydrophobic, and inert to nearly all chemicals and solvents, the basic polymer of fluoroadditives is PTFE. It is ideal as an additive powder because it can affect the behavior of many materials without reacting with them or contaminating their service environments.
Outstanding properties of PTFE enjoyed through the use of fluoroadditives, can be beneficial to products made from many host materials. PTFE does not discolour or degrade in sunlight or at high temperatures.

Old 11 July 2002, 12:56 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Chrome...you said expensive?

Not really when a pot of Shield wax will yield around 50 complete waxings of your car...£1.60 per application!!!! Hardly expensive on a 20 grand car!!! A pot will last the user around 4 yrs if the car is waxed once per month. VALUE FOR MONEY me thinks!
Old 11 July 2002, 09:16 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Hiya Mark,
I meant expensive due to the quote saying that the plastic was very expensive... 2+2=5... what can i say
So for the teflon wax how much sterling we looking at?
Or is it more worth the while to go for the Shield wax (or is it one and the same???)

Yeah, if it lasts 4 yrs then no, not expensive...
altho the divine wax is a little bit on the obssesive side imho
Old 11 July 2002, 11:09 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Smile

Chrome

Its 80 quid on its own.

The Divine...what you actually get is the equivalent of 3 pots of wax. One is a standard ready use pot and the other comes in a solid teak container with a solid silver plaque on it with your name and batch number. It takes around 1000 sapling plants to get enuff raw material to make this amount of wax as it is pure virgin white carnauba and not refined white carnauba. You also get a complete kit thrown in as well and I have to come along to prepare the car...its all in the price. It sell very well on the Continent.;-)
Old 11 July 2002, 11:56 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

so; is the teflon wax the same thing as the fluro wax?????
or are they two seperate things?

brad.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:56 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Teflon is a brand name for polytetrafluoroethene (PTFE.) It is the large number of fluorine atoms in the polymer that give it it's properties - so fluoro wax / teflon wax are the same thing. Probably you need permission of duPont to use their Teflon brand name though.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:58 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

thanks boost, but I get that bit

MarkU wrote: "We are about to launch a flourp polymer treatment together with a wax and will warrant the resultant finish for a minimum of 1yr and up to 3 yrs depending on the age of the vehicle. "

So is this "new" wax the shield wax mark?????
thats all I want to know
Old 11 July 2002, 01:00 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chrome (Brad) YHM m8!
Old 11 July 2002, 01:11 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

marku; yhm in return
Old 07 October 2002, 06:09 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

...cool
I bet the wax is cripplingly (sp?) expenssive...

** http://www.snowboard-products.com/productlist.cfm?c=1&sd=7434853&rd=2113444125

seems pretty standard really... maybe for cars its more *special* ?

[Edited by chrome - 7/10/2002 6:11:33 PM]