Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WELL DONE BMW.................a lesson to Subaru!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 02:21 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Worth a post even tho I know its wasted on here a bit as you all think youve got the best car in the world. :
Just given back the M3.
Faults and if there are any I will find them............drivers footrest a bit too big and too close to the clutch .
Read all the hype only this time you better believe it. The best performance coupe ever??
I think so .
Old 06 June 2001, 02:30 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

I thought you weren't coming back?

Old 06 June 2001, 02:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

BMW can, and do, really **** it up too.

Friend had a 318 (yes, well...) that just died at regular intervals.

After leaving him stranded 5 times, they ended up taking it back as they couldn't fix it, despite replacing the ECU and some fairly major other parts.

However, they gave him his money back. I suspect that this is different to your case

Old 06 June 2001, 03:08 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Chiark, interesting, I had the same experience with a 318iS (E30 model, MY89).

The car just "expired" from time to time. Paid about 1.500 UKP to get it "fixed", only, they never fixed it - they were unable to

Out of warrenty, so no car back, no money back.

Made me feel less than sympathetic towards BMW, but I do believe that the new M3 is a great car.
Old 06 June 2001, 03:12 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Wink

Love the M3. Specially over here in Greece. Perfect roads, never bumpy or slippery, never unexpected stuff happening around every blind corner, loads of grip, endless highways etc. Ahh forgot only 3x the price
Old 06 June 2001, 03:15 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

It is obvious to see that there are a huge number of BMW`s on the road so any cases will be shown up.
Subaru win JD POWERS because there arnt the numbers on the road......there are more now and more problems so down they slip on the list.
As a mass produced car the BMW is simply superb.
Old 06 June 2001, 03:44 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Best performance coupe?

More "look at me, 'aint I great 2 door saloon" IMO.
Old 06 June 2001, 03:48 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

best performance coupe.....

hmmm having driven the new m3 i would quite happily have a p1 instead bearing in mind the cost and wait etc.
Saying that, a porsche turbo would probably beat it as well (see evo).
or even a nolan would be quite pleasant
Old 06 June 2001, 04:06 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Arron, I recollect you saying you weren't coming back. Must have found your teddy bear. I don't know you but I recollect you raving about Scoobies. Do the words fashion victim come to mind???? Probably go off in a huff now.My dads bigger than yours.

P.S.New M3 is A superb car shame about the drivers.
Old 06 June 2001, 04:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

For once i agree with George W
Quote -
New M3 is A superb car shame about the drivers.

Arron - How's the Chat going on the beemer board - are they a nice lot?

Old 06 June 2001, 04:31 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hmmmmmmmm........i have a e30 m3........what is wrong with bmw drivers..........we own the road ......when you buy a bmw you get a contract saying you can cut every one up....and look at every body like they are on the bottom of your shoe......that is the law of having a bmw..........he he he he he
Old 06 June 2001, 04:56 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Comments as I expected.
I`m sure that somewhere out there in sensible land somebody will read the post with some interest.
Subaru P1= great drivers car and **** build quality.
As far as drivers go reading some of the 5hite on here I doubt theyre as sad as a lot of you.
For example getting married and having a Subaru parking section(see members gallery)
I rest my case.
PTHOLT if you actually believe your last post you need therapy.
Paul I dont think theyre childish enough to have a chat.
George I expect comments like this and thats unfortunatly what spoils this board in my opinion.
Old 06 June 2001, 05:25 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

arron,

Put your dummy back in.

Local Beemer dealer has got a black one for demo - looks nothing - 330 coupe.....

Saw a Silver one the other day

Noww that IS VERY VERY cool.

Get it in a light colour won't yaa and bring it to track days.

Will be interesting to see it on track - would imagine it to be very quick.
Old 06 June 2001, 06:15 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Arron

I agree with you, but then having one on order I would.

Just a shame the dealers are ****e. Give me my Scooby dealer any day of the week. Ive never had as many problems getting a test drive in the M3 in my life - and I already had an order with them

Have to agree about the colour. In black its hard to distinguish it from a 318 coupe. It needs light colours. Just wish BMW would give a few more options. Still at least they delayed the car longer than the P1!!

Jonathan
Old 06 June 2001, 07:43 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Phew ! - I think the sooner you get your beemer the better Arron.....
How old are you matey ? Mid-life crisis so soon - so sad.....
So - when are you *officially* leaving the bbs ??? Are you always this miserable...........

Gastro

[This message has been edited by Gastro (edited 06 June 2001).]
Old 06 June 2001, 08:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

What is it with you people? Just how much money do you earn?

Yeah Aaron, you give me another 17 grand and I will also be pleased to compare an M3 with my Scoob.

For those of you who can't tell the difference between 16.5k and 35k (or whatever the exact figures are), please can you employ me?

"And my Porsche GT3 is way better than your M3" . Bloody should be for the price of my house.

Can someone hand me back my rattle, I can't reach it from here.

BJH
Old 06 June 2001, 08:45 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

brendan
having read aarons posts in the past ( who can forget 'em ), i think his comparison is between a P1 and new M3. not much in it cost wise, and if you add other bits and bobs to the P1, it seems very close price wise. it seems he's had a lot of grief with his P1. its funny how many people on this bbs offload P1's after a relatively short time.i thought they were the best of the best?
is the new M3 THAT good? i have not driven one, but would love to hear some reviews by people who are on this bbs.
35k? its not cheap, but it seems a lotta car for the dough IMHO.
Old 06 June 2001, 08:53 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Arron - I hope you enjoy your M3 - it is a truly excellent car.
I am in the fortunate position to be able to purchase an M3 - and having had an hours test drive recently I have to agree with Mr Holt - he doesn't need therapy - he just thinks a P1 is 'better' - a very subjuctive term.
I prefer my MY00 and will be staying with it - I think in my terms its 'better' than an M3 for all sorts or reasons - I don't think I need therapy either!
Thank goodness we don't all think the same - what a boring world it would be.
Yours patronisingly
David
Old 06 June 2001, 08:59 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Saw a lovely M3 today in a fab pastel blue colour, looked ace.
At the end of the day though it's in a different class to the Scoob, and I don't mean image or quality. People that are considering an M3 aren't likely to be looking at Scoobs are they? Surely it's more Porsche territory?
I can't wait to meet a new one on track!!!!!

Stef.
Old 06 June 2001, 11:27 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

The MY00 scoob is clearly much better bang per buck than the M3, since it's half the price. Pound for pound, the scoob IS the best performance car in the world.

However if you have £40k and want to buy the best sports car possible, the M3 is a better-built more luxurious alternative to the Evo VI/VII or P1, whether that is worth an extra 6 or 7k is up to you. Haven't driven one, but I'm not sure the M3 would be quite as hardcore and focused a car as either of the 4wd efforts, which is either a problem or selling point depending on how & where you drive. I bet there are more rich commuters who want the occasional blast (most M3 buyers) than enthusiasts who go 100 miles just to blat around some welsh back roads (most P1/Evo buyers), so it will probably be a big sales success.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:06 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Angry

Arron,
If the people on this board are so sad why do you:
a)Read it?
b)Post on it?
c)Boast about your superiority on it?
I very rarely post on this but you irritated me.I remember you bragging about your P1, your bike etc. etc. I agree with Gastro why bother if you're so miserable???
Old 07 June 2001, 12:08 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Arron,

When you say you were expecting "comments": It is the _second_ time you have made a big thing of posting up a thread declaring that you would not be posting anymore because the bbs is, in your well aired opinion, going downhill... and yet you keep coming back shortly thereafter and posting again.

It was a loss to the board when Firefox decided to stop contributing for a while. Obviously we don't have to worry about losing your contribution.

Moray
//moderator hat off
(Thinks: "Pram, Back, Toys, In.")
//moderator hat on
Old 07 June 2001, 08:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by matt d:
<B>Pound for pound, the scoob IS the best performance car in the world.

[/quote]

Not even close I'm afraid - My vote goes to the Caterham SuperlightR/BlackbirdT/R500 for the best pound for pound performance car. Mclaren F1 power to weight (1.7 times the PWR of a Diablo ) 60 in a smudge over 3 secs, all for the price of a moderately loaded MY00 .....just a shame it has no roof, doors......
Old 07 June 2001, 08:30 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Add practicality in too then Gary

It's good to see that we're all different. Keeps the banter going.
Old 07 June 2001, 08:36 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

You want practicality in your performance car?? PAH!! I laugh at your girli-ness

mmmmm.....I drive a 330d Auto touring...I'd best shut up now
Old 07 June 2001, 11:47 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i do believe my last post funnily enough, I'd rather buy a P1 now, then wait the 18 months - 2 years to get an M3 by which time something better might have come out.

I think you may have miss read it, im not saying i dont like the m3, im just saying that as a drivers car i prefer the P1, i've driven both and that was my conclusion.
However, if i could purchase an M3 for the same money i was being quoted for a new P1 at the beginning of this year it would be a hard choice between the two.

However if I was buying a car that i was everyday transport my family as well, rather than just for me, i'd probably take the beemer.

If you were referring to my other comments about the porsche's being better than the m3, than i'm not so sure its me that needs therapy, i think you've still got your rose tinted glasses on.

Old 07 June 2001, 01:03 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Question

Having owned a P1 from September 2000 to May 2001 and spent a fair bit on it, upgrading brakes, braided hoses, exhaust, 18" rims etc., I am not missing it one bit. I have had a new M3 on order from the same time Arron ordered his, as we both placed the orders together.

We all know the P1 is a raw performance car and shows its heals to many supercars far in excess of £31K but it has not got the quality of some of those including the M3 or 911's.

After having had the P1 for a few months I got sick of the rattles and crap quality of the interior, the best thing about the interior were the front seats and that's it!

I've now owned three M3's and still have my E30 M3 EVO Sport and I can't wait to get the E46 M3 as I will then have two M3's

I remember a few months ago everyone was slating the P1 as too expensive and an STi V in drag, now though you can't get enough of them and decide to slate the new M3, what will it be next that gets slated

A comment from above: "In black its hard to distinguish it from a 318 coupe" ....sorry mate but were you wearing a blindfold?

"It needs light colours. Just wish BMW would give a few more options".... perhaps a nice brown or pearl pink or something? remember you can have a bespoke colour for extra cost.
The P1 was only available in 'Sonic Blue'.

I am sorry to rant but until you have had both cars for a while, then come back and slate the M3

Old 07 June 2001, 01:19 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Arron,

You seem to be defending your choice of vehicle with aggressive postings. I'm sure that whatever vehicle you own, you will be welcome to post and discuss on here. It's just opinions at the end of the day mate.

My local BMW dealer would not give me the time of day a few years back when I enquired about second hand M3's. When I rang back and complained to the manager he came to the conclusion that it must have been the jeans and t shirt I was wearing!!

It was a hell of a lot better than the response my poor brother in law got;

"Go and ask about the insurance cost and then come back pal"

Nice cars, but wouldn't pay the dealers in washers.

IMHO of course.

blubs
Old 07 June 2001, 01:33 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I would have bought an m3 but for two reasons.

1. the over 40k asking price which i was being quoted for the spec i wanted.
2. the 18 months - 2 years waiting list.

If i want to purchase something i want it now, not in two years !

But i do think this is an unfair comparison.
When people buy evo's and scoobs do you think most of that money went on refinement and a nice good quality interior ?
er no. Your paying for the drive train.

Enjoy your beemers guys as they are good cars, just remember to make soom room when i come past but hey at least your dash won't rattle when i do.

note for the easily offended - that was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, not to be taken seriously.
Old 07 June 2001, 01:51 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q. What's the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW ?
A. The ****** are on the inside in the BMW.

It's an oldie but a goodie.

I've driven both (currently own a P1, have owned the M3"mk2" and had a weekend in a new one) and they are totally different cars.Both great in different ways (by the way bmw £42k, P1£31.5k), but don't compare apples and pears.

Yes people on this site stick up for subarus because...this...is...a ...subaru...bbs. Was that slow enough for you? Enjoy BMW land and stop trying to invade foreign territory - be it Scoobynet or Poland.

Quick Reply: WELL DONE BMW.................a lesson to Subaru!