A july weekend at the ring

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 11:52 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

I made my second visit to the ring in 2002 and first time in my new STi5 TypeRA over the weekend. I decided to leave Manchester at 1pm Friday, so expected to get to Nurburg around midnight, how wrong was I!!! Manchester to Dover is almost exactly 300 miles, it took me 7 hours to get there, absolute nightmare journey, I lost count of the number of crashes or roadwork’s, I hit the M25 London ring road bang on 5pm so had to endure that rush hour mess too. I eventually arrived at Dover at 8pm, just in time for the 8:30pm ferry…..wrong, they had filled that so I had to wait for the 9:15 one instead, which arrived late so we finally left at 9:30… so far so bad!

The ferry was full to the brim with school kids going on school break holidays, so no chance of a quiet snooze there then! Talk about loud! I grabbed a bite to eat and had a quick read of autosport then stocked up on Red Bull ready for the next phase of the journey, at least in Europe you have a fighting chance of making decent progress.
The ferry docked at 11:15pm UK time (it was delayed docking) so adding the hour for Euro time it was now gone midnight and I had 300 miles to go!

The journey through France, Belgium and Germany was the way it always is, very fast, absolutely no idiots sitting in the way in the outside lane in a coma (very unlike the UK!) and no roadworks or crashes. I just stuck the car in 5th and blasted up to the ring stopping once for fuel, so glad my STi has the higher 5th gear and not the TypeRA standard 5th. I arrived in Nurburg at 3:45am; it took me exactly half the time it did to do the same distance in the UK! And that includes 50 miles on single carriageway cross country roads driving very sensibly and not rushed. The UK is a mess compared to mainland Europe when it comes to the transport infrastructure; it’s not getting any better either!

I wake Jon up to get me into my room, sorry mate. and am just about getting to sleep when the car alarm of mikes Scooby decides to wake me back up, nice one Mike! I doubt I got more than 4 hours sleep.

I managed to crawl out of bed about 10am, had a quick blast under the shower then was just heading out to the track when I got a call from Jon. He was out on the track and with a UK biker that had just crashed heavily at Eis Kurve and needed me to find some people quickly for him as the rider had been killed by the impact. Jon didn’t know the biker or the group that he had come with, but he stayed with that guy whilst the medical team tried to help him and then made sure that those that needed to know about this were found and informed. Jon was obviously quite affected by what he was witnessing, but was very professional in how he dealt with that and the people who had taken this rider across to the circuit. I won’t say anymore on the circumstances of the crash as I wasn’t there, but it seemed a very strange one where the rider had no chance of making the corner based on his line taken.

The track was closed whilst all this was being dealt with so after I had helped Jon I set about swapping my wheels to the track set and put some new DS2500 pads in the fronts. The track eventually reopened about 1pm I think. It was quite strange to think that someone had just been killed there and yet it was back to normal as if nothing had happened, I think a lot of people were completely oblivious to it, it was just another closure. I set off for a run out in the country to bed my pads in then it was time to do a lap in the STi for the first time. I took Neik and Rainey with me and we followed Jon who was instructing a chap new to the ring in his Elise. I must admit that was the most frustrating lap of the ring I have ever done, I don’t like driving to other peoples pace, especially when they are quite slow as its much harder work and I feel the danger is higher of being hit from the rear, I don’t think I’ll follow in that way again as it’s not fun. I stuck to it though as I agreed to film the guy, that will be useful for him and his learning process at the track. We immediately did another lap, this time with Jon driving the Elise and me following dutifully behind. This was much more fun but I found the Elise very slow compared to my new scoob, its rear end looked horrible on some of the more bumpy sections, very under damped and it had tones of rear bump steer. It was quite funny taking the **** out of Jon trying to drive this thing at a decent pace, I need to show him that lap on tape because he was doing some bizarre stuff when it came to braking points, Niek and Rainey were laughing along to my comments about how pants Jon looked, although we were still going at a fair pace I suppose, enough to make Rainey regret having a big pasta lunch anyway! LOL

Old 22 July 2002, 11:54 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So far so good on the new scoob, but I wasn’t anywhere near close to its limits yet. I then gave it a while to cool down, topped up the Intercooler spray bottle (which didn’t even last one lap at full chat!!), checked the brakes, tyre pressures and wear, oil levels etc. Everything was looking great, no real wear, no oil used; the tyres looked fine so far. I then took the car for another run, this time not following anyone and started to push it a bit more. I was hitting 140MPH at the fastest points, carrying speed in this car is quite easy, much less work than the Westfield, but it’s no where near as rewarding and it does feel heavy, I miss the agility of that car. I was struggling in the 5th to 4th down changes just on the entry into a few quite high speed corners, as my 4th gear syncro is shot, I eventually settled for using 5th rather than try a fast down change into a baulky 4th, it was safer to do that but a little frustrating as I didn’t have as much throttle control as I would have liked. From the Karousel onwards though the handling started to deteriorate, the tyres were certainly overheating, but this wasn’t tyre degradation, this was damper failure coming into play. By Pfatzgarten 2 the rear pretty much had a mind of its own; the damping was just non existent. I was still able to take the jumps at a good pace, but I was fighting the car much more than I should and was having to use opposite lock on landing, which isn’t ideal there! Basically the oil in the dampers was boiling and as the lap progressed they just stopped working like dampers. The setup I have is standard STI5 TypeRA springs and shocks, they are fantastic on the road, but taken on a very demanding circuit like the ring, which is far from smooth, they just couldn’t cope. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like its upgrade time! The question is, what is there that can cope with the demands of the ring; I need to do some research.

The rest of the day was spent giving passenger laps interspersed by track closures for accidents. I lost count of the number of times the track was closed but there seemed to be a lot of multi vehicle crashes, some cars and bikes, some cars only, some bikes only. We had the sight of a Porsche lunching its engine and dumping oil on the circuit that 5 bikers went down on also. That spillage was so bad that it closed the track for good for the day so it was time to head back to the guest house, get changed and then head to the lindenhoff for a beer and a bite to eat. I met up with Clare and Dave and then later met up with Ralf before meeting Jon and Rainey; we ended the night in the pistenclaus eating ice cream and strawberries whilst drinking Bitburger at 2am! LOL Neik then staggered in so that killed my idea of going to bed for another hour or so and more Bitburger was consumed. We eventually made our way up the hill from hell to the hotel and crashed out, a normal night in Nurburg then!

I managed to drag myself out of bed at 9:30am, pretty damn good for me, but I had a short day at the circuit ahead of me as I had to be leaving at 1pm. I topped up with fuel, grabbed some power aid drinks, had a bite to eat and then headed for the track again. Just as I pulled up to the barrier the red lights go on and its yet another closure, this time 4 cars and a bike I believe (but who knows with the rumor mills running at max rpm) so that was another hour gone before the track finally opened.

I decided to film a lap with the camera pointing backwards, just a bit of fun as I have no footage done like that. I think I chose the wrong lap though because the footage I would have had of how not to ride the ring as a biker would have been classic. I caught a woman biker near miss hit miss and sat behind her until she indicated to let me pass on the exit of ex muhle. She did this but then as I was starting to make an overtake move heading for barbeque corner she changed her mind and gunned it so I thought, OK, that’s a bit odd, but I’ll wait a bit longer. It ended up with me being stuck behind this idiot for half a lap, where the bike had the acceleration she left me, but anything remotely containing a corner she was getting in the way and baulking me badly, in the big picture she was bloody slow and very annoying to follow. She is damn lucky it was me that was following her, I can see quite a few of the car drivers would have tried passing mid corner and could have put her at risk. She knew I was there, she knew I was faster yet she wouldn’t give me a chance to pass her safely. In my book that’s one stupid biker who is going to meet someone who doesn’t care as much as me about safety, then no doubt the blame will be on the car driver when she gets knocked off.

I had the same with a car driver too. I caught this guy out of the Karousel and he indicated for me to pass, so I started to pass yet he kept full throttle on so we ended up taking hohe acht side by side, nutter! I never really had this problem before in the westie, as it was so much faster on acceleration so could pretty much pass anything within a couple of seconds, now I have a relatively normal power/weight I am seeing how many idiots there are out there that don’t understand how to be passed safely, they don’t seem to understand the concept of blending out of the throttle a split second to make the maneuver safer, why is beyond me?

Apart from the odd frustration I had a good couple of days on track, I filmed most laps with the camera on the screen or rear window and I think I got some good footage at times, passing plenty of quick cars and bikes, and being passed on occasion by some quick cars and bikes too. I really enjoyed one lap where I followed a Porsche 944 turbo, was passed by a 911, passed the 944 then managed to stay with the 911 the rest of the lap, that was a lot of fun. I need to sort my suspension now though, it’s not appalling to the point of being dangerous, but it’s far from good once it’s done some time on track and started to heat up, I can’t live with it, that’s for sure!

I finally left Nurburg after swapping my wheels back at 2:45pm, just an hour and half later than I promised myself. I then had the usual blast through Germany, Belgium and France and made the ferry at 6:15pm, a very clear run as usual. It was fun checking into the ferry terminal; the woman doing my ticket booking was hanging out of her booth having a long look at the car, funny how Subaru sounds so different in French. She was a big fan, she still charged me for getting an earlier ferry though. LOL I then got the 3rd degree from a few people in the queue waiting to board, it does get noticed, which is fun really.

The ferry set sail at 7:15pm and arrived in the UK at 8pm UK time, so I was just hoping that the roads would be clear and I may get home at a sensible hour. Fortunately there was just one hold up so I made it home just after midnight, just in time to watch the French GP highlights. Shuey overtakes under yellow and then wins the world championship, F1 isn’t fixed is it! LOL

So that’s my first trip to the ring in the new car, overall it performed very well, once I sort the suspension out and get the box rebuilt it should be a great ring tool, very much looking forward to the September trip now.

Old 22 July 2002, 11:55 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Old 23 July 2002, 12:08 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for that John, a great read as ever.
Old 23 July 2002, 12:32 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Top man
Old 23 July 2002, 02:07 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

From the Karousel onwards though the handling started to deteriorate, the tyres were certainly overheating, but this wasn’t tyre degradation, this was damper failure coming into play. By Pfatzgarten 2 the rear pretty much had a mind of its own; the damping was just non existent. I was still able to take the jumps at a good pace, but I was fighting the car much more than I should and was having to use opposite lock on landing, which isn’t ideal there! Basically the oil in the dampers was boiling and as the lap progressed they just stopped working like dampers. The setup I have is standard STI5 TypeRA springs and shocks, they are fantastic on the road, but taken on a very demanding circuit like the ring, which is far from smooth, they just couldn’t cope. As much as I hate to say it, it looks like its upgrade time! The question is, what is there that can cope with the demands of the ring; I need to do some research.
You have found out the difference between monotube and dual tube technology dampers Now get some monotubes. Brands include Öhlins, Proflex and Dynamic. I have tested all three and would say go for either Proflex or Öhlins as they are a little stronger. I couldnt get them to get wobbly although I promise I tried
Old 23 July 2002, 02:09 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

We had the sight of a Porsche lunching its engine and dumping oil on the circuit
Hee hee hee thanks for sharing that! A fantastic moment in your car enthusiast life when you hear them talk about reliability of German cars

Trending Topics

Old 23 July 2002, 02:16 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

It ended up with me being stuck behind this idiot for half a lap, where the bike had the acceleration she left me, but anything remotely containing a corner she was getting in the way and baulking me badly, in the big picture she was bloody slow and very annoying to follow. She is damn lucky it was me that was following her
I see that you have also found out how stupid stuck up Germans drive and yes, you are right, if she had had a more hot-tempered person like myself behind her, she might have got into trouble: I would have forced myself past. If she falls, too bad, should have let me past. Her choice. If she had been in a car, I wonder whether I wouldnt have pushed her. You dont realise that people are not all like yourself. I mean look at Montoya or Mc Rae, they're nuts I would let faster people pass me EVERY SINGLE TIME, I dont want to get pushed off. And I'm not joking, I know people who push other people on the motorway if they dont move! seriously...
Old 23 July 2002, 08:48 AM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Great read John, sounds like a top weekend
Old 23 July 2002, 08:51 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one John, I'll phone you later today. Think I'll come with you on the next one.

Mike.
Old 23 July 2002, 09:02 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Superb write up John, as always. I haven't been to the Ring yet (eh John!?), but the fact that everything continues after a fatality is pretty scary. As you said on the phone, do cars and bikes mix on the Ring?

Mossman
Old 23 July 2002, 09:18 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great read John, and Dave doesn't remember walking up the hill with us on Saturday night! Beer scooter in full effect!

Thanks for the lap - was great fun as usual. I loved seeing the armco coming towards me round Kellenhard, I actually laughed!! When Dave did it, it was a different matter

Jon Reeves drove Dave's car with me as a paasenger which was great fun. He showed me the right lines, and hopefully afterwards I was a wee bit quicker. You missed the best bit on Sunday evening when the track emptied considerably. I got some good laps in then and felt alot happier with my laps.

The girl biker who was in front of us at Ex Muhle was also a bit wobbly, was this the same one?? She was in danger of falling off. Very worrying, especially with what happened on Saturday. They must know the risks, but when it is an inexperienced rider, it is very sad. I'm sure the events made me even more cautious.

Still, all-in-all I am happy with how my driving is going. A few more trips and I will get the confidence back. I will never be as good as you John, but I hope I won't look like a complete novice forever!
Old 23 July 2002, 10:12 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Claudius, shame the biker wasn't German. If its the one I think it was it was a brit woman on ZX7R.

Cracking trip. Didn't do any damage to the car (a miracle), even though all 4 wheels were off the ground through Pflanzgarten on a couple of occasions (twice for me and once for the nice man I lent my car to!)

Agree with you that you need to something with the rear shocks John. Did seem a bit "floppy", more than mine even.

Clare, I have the lap on video of me following yours with Jon driving it. I can either burn it to CD or you can have it on tape. Mail me your requirements.
Old 23 July 2002, 10:42 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Question

John,

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I like the look of your wheels...

What are you running for both the road and the track?

Alloys - size, manufacturer?
Wheels - size, manufacturer?

I am trying to decide whether to go for another set of alloys for trackdays, etc.

W.
Old 23 July 2002, 10:54 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like it was a real blast cant,I get the impression from the pictures that it was very busy still talkin to tavia yesterday it sounds like you all did some bloody quick laps pity i could not make this 1 however i will be comin too the next 1 cant wait
thanks for the excellant write up as per usual
Old 23 July 2002, 11:17 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Wuss,

John's wheels are MIMS - Pete @ Scoobysport used to do them.

Mossman
Old 23 July 2002, 11:25 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

TaviaRS

the attitude was German but the driving capacity that of a woman unfamiliar with the ring...

When are you all going back? I need someone to show me the lines and my ring nutter friend blew his engine ...
Old 23 July 2002, 11:27 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

And BTW John, that's great / cool that you just drive to the ring after lunch on Friday and back on the Sunday, all the way from the north of the UK!
Old 23 July 2002, 11:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Looked like you had a great time john and i may try hitching a ride with you (if im not made redundant by next week )

Tony
Old 23 July 2002, 11:37 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I see that you have also found out how stupid stuck up Germans drive
On this occasion it was an extremely stupid English lady, regretably she was not "new to the ring" and has something of a reputation.

A snake of three cars followed this bike for miles. Surely that would indicate to anyone there was much faster traffic behind A YES (I think) eventually forced past on braking. A move presumably due to frusatration, as the bike had not acknowleged the overtake.

Better still, or should that be worse, parked beside me she had an animated conversation with her friends about her "hot lap".

Puts a whole new perspective upon the Dumb Blond designation

BTW Clare think I have a still of you being followed by some obscure black vehicle

[Edited by banshi - 7/23/2002 11:41:44 AM]
Old 23 July 2002, 11:43 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Claudius, I think most people are going w/e 20/9/02. I'm happy to go round with you for a few laps. Your car or mine. Or you can follow me. I'll drive slow so your Evo can keep up, after all, its only a 1.4 Skoda

Old 23 July 2002, 12:25 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

On this occasion it was an extremely stupid English lady, regretably she was not "new to the ring" and has something of a reputation.
The only person I have seen drive on video was Helmut Dähne. When you watch him on the Honda RC30 (I think it was?) you are intimatedly convinced that he could have died at any moment during his lap. Insane I have it as a video file on my PC and can share it, but it's kind of big I think.
Old 23 July 2002, 12:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

I met Helmut Dähne two trips ago. He refused to come for a ride in the Atom, he said it was too dangerous! LOL

Old 23 July 2002, 12:34 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Or if you want to see a lap of the Ring from within a Skoda 1.6i ( ) have a look here Skoda on the Ring. Nice smooth lap.
Old 23 July 2002, 01:10 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Claudius, I think most people are going w/e 20/9/02. I'm happy to go round with you for a few laps. Your car or mine. Or you can follow me. I'll drive slow so your Evo can keep up, after all, its only a 1.4 Skoda
What makes you think I have an Evo?

Seriously, I am aware that you can shït on people with Porsche GT2s if you drive your Passat well. It's all about knowing where to go, when to brake etc. I'm more than willing to learn the line and appreciate your offer Not sure I'll be there that late in September, I planned on going mid August. But my car isnt finished yet...
Old 23 July 2002, 01:12 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I met Helmut Dähne two trips ago. He refused to come for a ride in the Atom, he said it was too dangerous! LOL
I guess he meant with you driving it...
Old 23 July 2002, 01:14 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

TaviaRS

I'm not surprised you are not that much slower than me, after all 0.8l in capacity is not that high a difference...

Let's see when my car is finished, run in, mapped, suspension set up etc
Old 23 July 2002, 01:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

it was going to be Jon Reeves actually! Maybe that does explain it! LOL
Old 23 July 2002, 01:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The girl biker was a diferent one to the one we followed Clare. She was a bit close to high siding that thing out of ex mulhe for my liking, the bike looked huge to compared to her. She did the indicate then change her mind too thing, but at least she got out of the way a couple of corners later.
Old 23 July 2002, 02:42 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

Sounds like you had another mixed trip. The events of the past month have certainly persuaded me that I'll be sticking to 4 wheels whilst navigating the Ring. I might ride my bike out there, but would not take it on the track.

Glad that the STI behaved itself, but I know what you mean when you say that it feels slow and heavy compared to the Westie! Most things will mate ( apart from a pillion ride on my Busa of course!) LOL

What a tart though! Two sets of 17 inch Mims! One silver and one gold for whatever mood takes you! Outrageous!

Catch up soon,

Matt

Quick Reply: A july weekend at the ring