ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SCOOBY RATTLES?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2000, 02:15 PM
WAYSIDERS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Reading the posts about Evo VI versus Scoobies, I was surprised to read about Scooby rattles and poor build quality.

Admittedly it's a 2-door shell so stiffer, but my Type R feels like it's cut from a solid block of steel on bad roads. Not a squeak from the car, only my fillings rattle. IMHO this car's build quality is excellent where it matters. The interior may be a tad lightweight, but you surely can't say that about the shell or the suspension/transmission.

I've done 18,000 miles, much of it on B and C roads. Am I just lucky, or is the 4-door car so much weaker?

Perhaps some owners expect champagne quality for beer money!
Old 31 January 2000, 02:34 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The 1999 nissan micra I bought for my girlfriend earlier this year doesn't rattle at all, and that was picked up for soft-drink money.

When I'm spending £20K+ on a car, I think I have a right not to expect squeaks and rattles from the cabin.

Gary.
Old 31 January 2000, 04:56 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Interesting one this.

I think 'build quality' has a far broader significance than how a door sounds when slammed, or whether the trim rattles a bit.

Of greater importance is how durable the car body, fittings, and mechanical components are. Because these aspects are difficult for car mag journalists to evaluate, the car slam door test has become a benchmark which is supposed to be representative of how well it will last in the long term.

Although you wouldn't mistake the interior of a Scooby for a Mercedes (apart from possibly the M-Class, the true indicator of quality and design is reliability combined with a long service life. These are both attributes which the Impreza has in spades.

My 4-door has one rattle because the idiots fitting the speakers to the front door broke a clip, so you could probably say that the body is well engineered and sufficiently stiff.

For a (relatively) bargin price, you are getting some fairly exotic and complex components, so I can live with the low-rent interior. The development and production budget has been spent where it is of greatest benefit to keen drivers i.e. the suspension, engine and transmission.

Cheers,

Alex

Old 31 January 2000, 05:18 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Mine squeaks a bit, mainly from where I had to take half the interior out to fit in my 6x9 speakers on the rear shelf.

Still that can be easily eliminated with the volume control

The only rattle is from the plastic surround of my (Kenwood) stereo. Keep meaning to get the blue tack out for that..

Apart from the dash material and other bits of trim (which aren't quite VW quality) the car is very well built.

Oh, the headliner and passenger sun visor are a bit dodgy.

But who cares!
Old 31 January 2000, 07:13 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Waysiders.
My 4 door STi4 is absolutely solid and I regularly drive on some pretty nasty roads.
I haven't heard a single squeak or rattle since picking it up.
As for the interior my first impression of the Evo, after reeling at it's ill proportioned ugliness (and the fact that it looks like a Vectra from behind) was the nasty interior which looks like it has been made from the back of an Amstrad TV.
No offence.
Seriously though I must say that I am a fan of all the Japanese supersaloons and like anything that reminds Porsche and BMW that they don't have a monopoly on technology and driver experience.
Old 31 January 2000, 07:44 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Maybe the STi is built on a different line, or to higher quality control standards, who knows? Mine rattled, my mates 99MY also rattles.

Neil >>> I'm surprised that you didn't like the interior of the Evo. The recaros look and feel great, and although the dash is no work of art, it's at least as good as the scoob (especially around the centre section, which is very tacky on the impreza).

Difficult to argue with anyone who thinks the Evo is ugly. It's not a pretty car, but it looks mean, special and distinctive, in a "don't f*** with me" sort of way. But to compare its looks to a vectra???? What planet are you on?
Old 01 February 2000, 11:52 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mine don't rattle, but she sure does hum (and I don't mean smells!).

Somebody mentioned lack of door frames. I sealed em up by applying a smidgeon of Mister Sheen to the rubbers where they contact the windows. Keeps yer rubbers supple too!

Old 01 February 2000, 02:11 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

GCollier.

I guess it's all down to taste then.
My comments were a little tongue in cheek but what else would you expect, singing the praises of the Evo over an Impreza on a SIDC website!
I honestly think the Impreza interior is nicer although thinking about it, I am talking about the new 98 interior as fitted to mine.
The Recaro's in the Evo were nice but the STi seats give better lateral "location" and just feel more supportive.
After a 3 hour non-stop motorway / B road journey to Shropshire recently, which involved a period of sitting in traffic on the motorway, I felt fresh as a daisy when I stepped out, better than any other car I've driven.....
Again, I have the seats with the hight / tilt adjustable base which I believe was new for 98?
As for the Vectra, you'll see what I mean next time you approach one of the V6 jobs with the rear spoiler from behind in the dark!
I was scaring Vectra drivers for weeks with that mistake, mind you it would be the same if it had have been a real Evo anyway! ;o)