Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Legacy RS

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 11:57 PM
mrlegacy69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After overboosting had mine adjusted to slightly more than factory. This made it .7 on primary and .9 on both together. Does anyone know of gains to be had on b4s with the ecutek upgrade?

[Edited by mrlegacy69 - 8/2/2002 12:00:28 AM]
Old 30 July 2002, 10:20 PM
1977S
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Does anybody know anything about these cars?

A mate has seen one for 9k (P plate) and is interested. All I know about them is that they have twin turbo's. This one has the Tommi Makkienin (Spelt wrong!) body kit.

Can somebody tell me more.......
Old 30 July 2002, 10:40 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's expensive

always thought the jap legacy was known as GT and GTB post 94.

260hp gt and gtb auto
280hp gtb manual

paul
Old 30 July 2002, 11:12 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
RS is the saloon version I believe! - Nice cars, nearly bought one once...

Mick
Old 30 July 2002, 11:18 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes you are right.

never seen such an early saloon for sale, they all tend to be estates up until the B4.

I was scared away from a japanese import legacy due to insurance woes etc, but there wasn't much of a saving to be had on what I bought.

Paul
Old 31 July 2002, 04:18 AM
mrlegacy69
Scooby Newbie

what year is this rs? sedan shape has both RS(or Rsb after 95) and gt(or gtb after 95) variant from 93-99. rs better interior- seats, momo wheel, stereo @ fabric, suspension and wheels(16 instead of 15s. Rs 183kw and 309nm torque(manual and auto). RSB 205kw and 330 approx(cant quite remember)manual, auto detuned to 190 kw. the b in these models refer to bilstein suspension also have 17,s std.

I have a 93 with exhaust,aftermarket 17s, cross drilled/slotted discs, earthing mod.
Watch out for overboost if you change muffler/exhaust as this will kill primary turbo quickly. easily fixed with wastegate adjustment.

here is a link for twin turbo owners, mainly for the newer b4 but use search for info on rs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legacyb4/

these cars go hard! as good as mildly worked wrxs round town and can blow them away on motorway/highway. harder to gain big power from though than a wrx.

Old 31 July 2002, 11:22 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

9k should buy you a low milage '96 or good condition '97 but you won't find many for sale. The twin turbo set up has its advantages and disadvantages. Briefly, the smaller primary turbo gets the car moving and then the secondary takes over. The mechanical re-routing of gasses gives a brief 'stutter' in the acceleration and this can be annoying until you learn to drive around it ie. keep the revs above 4300 for spirited driving. The handling is very good without the understeer of its smaller brother, probably because of the longer wheel base.Internally the fittings are much better with plenty of leg room in the back and a huge boot.
Upping the power is difficult and a subject much discussed. Opinions are divided but in general; ITG filters are Ok but anything more stuffs the air flow sensors. A Cat back box will, according to its design give more low end torque or top end acceleration. The ECU 'may' be more sensitive to de-catted systems and definately don't remove the primary turbo Cat. Its a different car to the Impreza being a larger saloon and fairly restrained in its looks but once the second turbo spools up then you won't be disappointed. Be careful with body kit. If it came with the car it may only be available in Japan and if you break a bit......

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2002, 08:50 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

obi has said most of what I'd say. I ran a '96 Legacy RS-B for 2½ years until I traded it a couple of months ago. It's a storming car, very comfortable, much better build quality than an Impreza (sorry guys, flame suit on and everything, but it's true ). Turn-in's not as crisp as an Impreza so it's harder work on twisty roads but it's as quick in a straight line to 100. I preferred the comfort and suspension set-up to my Impreza (I had one of the first turbos in '94) and the Bilstein suspension is very good indeed.

It's not cheap to run, though. Most parts are shared with the Impreza turbo or earlier UK Legacy turbo - filters, plugs, brakes, etc so servicing's easy enough. Some parts are very expensive - a pair of rear Bilsteins will set you back £800 + fitting + VAT, for example. The bodykit is standard UK Legacy 4CAM with the exception of the bonnet (so don't damage the bonnet! ). Tuning is difficult and problems hard to fix - I had a boost problem with mine that took months to sort out because there's not the knowledge about Legacies that there is about Imprezas. I averaged 25-26mpg with fairly spirited driving which is OK (and a lot better than what I get now!).

It is a great car , but buy one with your eyes wide open.

Brian
Old 01 August 2002, 12:09 PM
mrlegacy69
Scooby Newbie

Question

Hunter what sort of boost problem did you have on your RSB. Was it over boost or another problem? Just wondering for future reference, never know when a problem will occur.
Old 01 August 2002, 01:46 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Boost reduced to around 0.5 to 0.6 bar on the first turbo and 0.6 to 0.7 bar on the second (instead of 0.9 to 1.0 and 1.0 to 1.1 respectively). This reduced the power to around 220PS (from around 260PS - UK fuel ). It appeared to co-incide with a change to a larger cat-back exhaust (3" pipe, 4" tailpipe) but it may just have become more apparent because of the change the exhaust made to the power/torque curves. Took ages to get to the bottom of it which turned out to be a combination of a faulty AFS and a contaminated O2 sensor. Changing one or other made no difference, changing both sorted the problem. Real pain to sort, diagnostics were clean and the voltage on each sensor was "within the manufacturer's tolerance level". Very limited knowledge of twin-turbo Legacies in the UK and dealers are not officially allowed to touch them so it was very difficult to find knowledgeable people locally. Lots of good pointers on the B4 BBS and much thanks to these guys for helping me get there. Since defected to the Dark Side
Old 01 August 2002, 03:59 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Basically, the 2nd generation Legacy runs from 93-98 & the range was facelifted for MY97 (mid-96). The twin turbo versions initially had 250ps, which was subsequently increased to 260ps (auto) & 280ps (man) for MY97. If u want to know whether the car u're after is a post-facelift version, check the headlamps & grill. The facelifted car has projector lights for dipped beam & a 'corner' lamp next to the front foglights. The grill on the pre-facelift car is mesh styled. Post MY97 cars should also have Momo wheel with airbag.
It is very rare to find post-facelift RS as most sales of the Legacy range then was the GT & GT-B (both are estates). There is also a saloon version of the GT, which is identical to the RS but with smaller rear brakes, leather interior option, no rear spoiler, non-Bilstein suspension & 16" rims (same as the UK Legacy 2.5 4Cam for MY97).
The bodykit u talked abt should be Tommy Kaira, which will be a pain if damaged cos parts have to be specailly shipped from Japan.
Old 01 August 2002, 05:45 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Had mine a month and love it('98 gtb,66k), picked it up for less than 7k, bargin!
All the above replies give me nothing really more to add, but if you want the street sleeper effect, possibly no finer car for the money. All are jap spec so loadsa toys.

p.s. as for tuning, filter and pipe will give you close to 300bhp, how much more do ya really want.
Old 02 August 2002, 03:03 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I think that once anyone has driven a well looked after TT Legacy it is pretty hard to look back unless you are looking for the frenetic pace of either an STi (coz it'll take a modded Rex or STi to show a Legacy a clean pair of heels - esp. later TTs - flame suit on ) or local dealer warrantee/support.

The bigger interior and Q-car-ed-ness should be positives for some buyers, too (although I bet the insurance companies don't agree ).

Old 29 September 2002, 09:47 PM
dolbre
Scooby Newbie

I've got a 2000 Legacy B4 RSK - bought it in Cyprus last year through Subaru dealer. 280 bhp with the twin turbos. preferred it to the impreza - smoother ride and build quality is better, leather interior etc
Want to sell it as I'm leaving Cyprus - is there much demand for them in the UK?
thanks, B