Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Highway code outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2001, 09:40 PM
Dan D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so from 70mph to 0 it takes i think about 100m but in the ice or snow you have to multiply your stopping distance by 10 so it takes 700m to stop.......
i dont think so what are your views should they be altered to be more realistic the cars they used for results were peddel power wernt they???!!!!
Old 28 June 2001, 10:55 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Yes it is outdated but most people could do with thinking that it takes that long to stop becuase it cant hurt to have a bigger gap.

Also the highway code is online at
Old 29 June 2001, 12:38 AM
Jaggy Bunnet
Scooby Regular

Wink

Looks like a Gatso picture to me, but can't see the lines on the road ....
Old 29 June 2001, 02:01 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

700m to stop from 70mph in snow sounds pretty likely to me in a Scoob with ABS, at least if my experiences last winter were anything to go by. I never went much over 30 in this -

- and still had a hard time stopping (but not pulling away again )

Steve
Old 29 June 2001, 01:25 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

LOL - no, they ain't caught me yet! The lines *I* left when pulling away were quite wiggly - compare with the perfect (ie not skidding) tyre patterns when I stopped...

Steve
Old 29 June 2001, 02:29 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Millband,

Nice piccy. If I'm not mistaken that's the A65 just outside Skipton
I'm interested to know how you coped in the snow this year? Cos I came a cropper tip-toeing down a steep hill. The backend decided it wanted to go first and I went backwards through a dry stone wall!!
What tyres do you use? How do you stop the backend wanting to lead the way when going downhill?

Cheers

Mojo
Old 29 June 2001, 02:32 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

correct me if i'm wrong, but ABS in freshly fallen snow is a bad thing.

Dave
Old 29 June 2001, 02:56 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Dave, Audi used to advertise their cars' ABS on/off switch as a good thing on gravel and fresh snow, because when it's off a wedge builds up in front of the tyre which apparently stops the car quicker. But there is always the caveat with snow that you don't know what the surface is like underneath - so having ABS would be better than not.

And I had a nightmare in the snow - only difference to millband's car is mine's a MY99 in DBM, so 16" wheels, but it was understeering, oversteering, wombling free. My fiancee's diesel Clio was miles better... is there any way round this(short of getting spiked tyres)?

Simon
Old 29 June 2001, 05:44 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mojo - thanks Yup, A65 on New Years Eve. Bad news about you going through a wall though - how much damage was done?

My car was on 15" wheels with faily new S02PP's.

I was fine in the snow, but didn't do any steep decents. Didn't have any problems with breakaway, but I did find the ABS was pretty lethal though - I experimented in a car park with a slope and found the car actually followed the slope by drifting sideways when ABS triggered, and I also overshot my parking space at home a couple of times and had to reverse back up our road - and this was from *very* low speeds I'll probably find the fuse and disable it during snow this winter.

On the flipside the traction for pulling away was great - at one point on the A65 I was able to go past a whole queue of cars who were nervously waiting for an Omega which had got stuck climbing a hill past Settle - I had no problems at all climbing it.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 29 June 2001, 05:47 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

One thing - were you using the brakes to tip-toe down the hill or engine braking? I find keeping a low gear and my foot off the brake works best for me in snow.

S
Old 29 June 2001, 07:09 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

My MY93 WRX has 3-channel ABS, and in the snow are hopeless. The only way you can get the damn brakes to work is to keep the car in gear - otherwise you have no brakes!

On several occasions I had to jam the car into 1st to make it come to a complete stand. Best bet is to remove the fuse, then you can rely on you right foot to do any cadence action.

Regarding going down hill, yes keep the car in gear, but also lightly use the brakes when required. Going up hill is never a problem!