ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Points on License - Inevitable or not?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 10:11 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just ordered a MY02 WRX, can't wait to get it. Wicked car, first scooby and very excited.

One of my colleagues test drove one and loved it but bought a Vauxhall instead!!! Sicko! He thought he would get too many points on his license.

Now, almost everyone I have told about my new purchase has either said you "you be careful" as if I am about to swim the Pacific!!! or "I'll give you 6 months before you get banned". I must add they have all turned a vague hint of green and promptly asked for a go when I get it as well.

What is it I have bought, a surefire way to get a push pike!!! No. I have bought a high performance car that will be used at that high performance for maybe 10% of the time. But I don't care. I know I have it on tap if needed. I have a clean license and I want to stay that way.

Old 29 June 2001, 10:23 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm

Wait till after your first service, when more power will be un-leashed. You'll soon get used to cruising at 70-90.

Also you'll get the feeling everyone is suddenly driving slower - when this happens glance at your speedo.

JP
Old 29 June 2001, 10:24 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have had 3 scoob's now and still have a clean licence. I try not to speed in built up areas but once in the country. I will only need to get caught the once and it will be good by licence.
Old 29 June 2001, 10:32 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

Bob

You speak words of wisdom. I am determined to keep the license clean. If that means backing off so be it. I just dread to think about the insurance premiums with 6 points or more! That should be motivation enough!!!

Yeah we all speed and I will probably do more with the scooby. But the people who think BHP equals points are fools. One friend of mine drives a piddly 1.4 Saxo, nine points in 12 months - we keep ribbing her it's coz she likes getting her picture taken!!!
Old 30 June 2001, 06:52 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

And the simplest and yet most challenging way to prove your "manhood" and also keep your licence clean??????

Simple........

Keep it for the Track.........

I recommend doing one of the Nurburgring trips that the BBS kinda organises..

Ya'll scare yaself ****less and get alcohol poisoning at the same time

Richard
Old 30 June 2001, 07:46 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by matt d:
<B>
2. Drive as if every car is an unmarked plod car (unless it's a 911 or something) until you can see it has only 1 driver [/quote]

Police don't have to be pairs I have been done by a 'lone copper' in an unmarked car 82 on the motorway even had the gall to commend me for safe driving and good lane discipline before issuing a FPN Still I was in a black car at the time - 8 points in snooker
Old 30 June 2001, 12:46 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Simple methods to avoid points:

1. Stick to the limit in busy areas (30 and 40 zones, urban, main A-roads, M-ways). Save your speeding for quieter roads. Obeying the speed limit (or not much over it) is actually quite relaxing once you get used to it - you realise how pointless it is for everyone else to get so stressed & be in such a hurry all the time. Make the journey safer & more interesting by practising defensive driving techniques (e.g. call out hazards - or do it mentally - as they appear).

2. Drive as if every car is an unmarked plod car (unless it's a 911 or something) until you can see it has only 1 driver i.e. in NSL don't do over 75 around other vehicles and you should be ok (get a talking to at worst unless you are actually driving dangerously).

3. Don't speed excessively on straights even on empty roads - it's boring and that is where plod is waiting for you. Do 70-75 on straights, then speed up for the corners (assuming clear visibility round them).

4. Drive at night - much less enforcement (although don't get silly - I've seen plod marked & unmarked between 1am and 4am from time to time)

Obviously no one is a saint and we'll all speed riskily (to our license, not other road users I hope!) from time to time. Buying a radar detector and/or geodesy is a big step. Apart from that, just keep the frequency low and you should reduce your chance of points.

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2001, 09:46 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Agree with Richard - keep it for the track

Mind you, its easier with Richard - his scoob is 6000 miles from him - less chance of being caught for over exuberance

Richard

Where's your scoob today I wonder? Oh yes! Being driven round the ring by Harj