Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed cameras, case for selective persecution?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 08:25 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hiya guys

I was wondering this morning, is there a potential case for speed cameras to be submitted to the EU human rights type people.
(You know those who say everyone has to be treated identically and cant be persecuted or treated badly for a certain reason).

Well speed cameras are selective and discriminatory when in use!

How, well take a dual at 70mph, and say they have the camera set at 80mph. A car with an acceptable speed of 70mph would have to exceed the limit by 14% to get caught, but a lorry with an allowed speed of 60mph would have to exceed by 33%! to get caught.

Surely this is discriminatory!?

discuss

robski
Old 29 June 2001, 08:36 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Smile

Robski

I doubt if we will be lucky enough for this to work, but as another example;

Forward facing cameras discriminate against cars (with front number plates) in favour of motorcycles. However, the EU are on to this one, and a trying to bring back front number plates on motorcycles (although I think they are suggesting they face the direction of travel rather than the old bacon slicer style! ).

Duncan
Old 29 June 2001, 08:39 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I also have a strong suspicion that the new cameras that read number plates, can't read all the different styles that are used throughout the EU, and therefore discriminate against British motorists in favour of European visitors.

Isn't that discriminatory too?

Andy.
Old 29 June 2001, 09:16 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robski:
<B>

How, well take a dual at 70mph, and say they have the camera set at 80mph. A car with an acceptable speed of 70mph would have to exceed the limit by 14% to get caught, but a lorry with an allowed speed of 60mph would have to exceed by 33%! to get caught.

[/quote]

Speed cameras can differentiate between different vehicles, and even trigger at different speeds for different vehicles.

IE roadwork Gatsos are normally set at 55 for trucks and 60/65 for cars! - watch out Impreza Wagon drivers
Old 29 June 2001, 11:04 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

how do they differentiate!?

ok then smart **** can it tell the difference between a car with a trailer and one without?

robski
Old 29 June 2001, 01:42 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was once told that Gatsos differentiate between types of vehicle on height although it would be much simpler for them to differentiate on length (and they are simple )

Talking about everyone being treated the same, have you ever heard of ANY motorist asking for, and/or being given, a caution for a first-ever speeding offence? Your average thug-in-the-street probably gets a caution every week at no personal cost, yet your average driver caught over the speed limit has to cough up 60 quid and gets 3 points nearer losing his livelihood. Doesn't sound fair to me ....
Old 29 June 2001, 01:56 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robski:
<B>how do they differentiate!?
[/quote]

Buggered if I know??

<B>
ok then smart **** can it tell the difference between a car with a trailer and one without?

robski[/quote]

Dunno - but if it can tell when a car has a caravan - do you think they could be armed with a heat seeking misile?

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2001, 04:23 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Works like this....The Gatso camera can tell the difference between different size vehicles by the amount of radar energy returned, so a lower threshold can be set for large goods vehicles and coaches.

J
Old 29 June 2001, 04:38 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Red face

My wife got caught last night, anyone know the average length of time it takes for the fine to come through, and what is the best radar detector for gatsos.
Old 29 June 2001, 05:05 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Taken from
Old 29 June 2001, 09:18 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

<B>how do they differentiate!?
[/quote]

robski,

spot on!!

So, a radar gatso can tell it your GVW is over a certain tonnage - my ****! Or maybe an A14 Truvello can instantly determine your driving licence categories - MA again!

Bring back Dixon of Dock Green!

mb
Old 30 June 2001, 11:23 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

robski,

i just noticed a slight error in your argument!

The maximum speed of an HGV on a dual-carriageway is FIFTY miles per hour, and not sixty.

Thus the discrimination is even worst

mb
Old 30 June 2001, 05:41 PM
rogermcb
Scooby Regular

Talking

If like me you are sick of being persecuted as a motorist, then consider joining the ABD, who do sterling work on behalf of the motorist. Check them out at
Old 01 July 2001, 08:42 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rogermcb:
<B>If like me you are sick of being persecuted as a motorist, then consider joining the ABD, who do sterling work on behalf of the motorist. Check them out at
Old 01 July 2001, 10:10 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Gary,

for a start, the ABD help re-balance the propaganda from Transport 2000 and other car-hating groups. Check out their web-site, in particular the press releases!

mb (an ABD member)
Old 02 July 2001, 08:12 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by boomer:
<B>Gary,

for a start, the ABD help re-balance the propaganda from Transport 2000 and other car-hating groups. Check out their web-site, in particular the press releases!

mb (an ABD member)[/quote]

Looked at website many times, yes they are very 'pro-car' (which is good ) but what do they do apart from release a load of press releases? and produce a newsletter, the content of which is available on the various 'speedtrap' websites etc??

They never seem to be quoted in/on anything notable, if they are a lobbying body - they don't get much (any?) success/results? How and to who are they 're-dressing the balance'?

Not specifically criticising, nor trying to pick fault - I'm all in favour of joining such action groups, but can't see what the 'action' is?? what the benefit is or even what they do? At £15 per member, and presumably 1000's (10000's?) of members, it seems lot of money for an organisation that simply issues a load of press releases??

Perhaps I aught to start my own 'pro-car' action group. "Campaign Against Speed Haters". Few dozen press releases a month, couple of letters in car mags and lobby my MP once a month. Special introductory price of £10 per year, cheques payable to "Campaign Against Speed Haters" - or C.A.S.H for short
Old 02 July 2001, 10:28 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

No flashy name, Just an action group dedicated to the ritual burning down of every speed camera there is. Happily become a mamber of that. Remember these things cost 30000 ponds to put up so if they are burnt enough times then they wont be able to afford to put em up anymore. Then they might spend some money on solving proper crime like theft, mugging, rape, murder etc....
astraboy