Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 versus Evo

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 09:06 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both great cars. P1 will have a better warranty if thats your bag.
Evo is more raw - suspension is harsher, cabin manages to be even uglier(neither are masterpieces in interiors though lol). Both need servicing every 6 months..Evo every 4.5k miles if sooner, P1 every 7.5k miles - so if u do alot then Evo running costs build up. Evo has a smaller range - ie holds less petrol. For me Evo insurance is higher than P1 as well. Make sure you are not too far from a decent dealer in whichever you choose.
Drive both. I did, and preferred the Evo..but then drove a 22B and own that now - but I am a tart. LOL
Oh, WRX STI - hmmm haven't driven one, too ugly and tried to be too civilised for my liking - wait for the PPP to test drive one of those if you can - rumour has it you'll be able to try a dealer demonstrator this month.
C

[Edited by chuckster - 8/6/2002 9:11:35 AM]
Old 08 July 2002, 09:45 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

I was the passenger in Roscos Evo at Donnington when he had a little play with Mellow and I was surprised to see the Evo pulling away from you, being a Scooby owner I was a little miffed as I wanted Mellow to uphold the Scoob vs Evo thing !!

If I could afford an Evo for the w/e then I would have one, however my Scoob is cheaper to run and insure.

Mellow - didnt you say you were thinking of going the Evo route ???

J.

[Edited by lordlucan - 8/7/2002 9:49:21 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 08:30 AM
Bond
Scooby Newbie

Question

Guys,

I am in the market for either a P1, WRX STi or an Evo VI (don't like look of VII's).

Has anyone out there owned both or at least know enough to be honest about the pros and cons of each car.

I've had Japanese before in the form of RX7 & Skyline but since have been in a Porsche 993 and 996 for the last 3 years and so know nothing about the more recent motors.

Cheers,

Steve (srose@closecom.com)
Old 06 August 2002, 09:06 AM
Barry Stir
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You'd be better speaking with Mellow yellow, he has had an awesome P1 that spanked many an EVO and of late he has a STi RA V Ltd which for sure has been spanking every EVO so far
Old 06 August 2002, 02:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Smile

Barry,

You will find that Mellow rates the STI V type RA V limited (takes breath) higher than the P1 - it is a better package than the P1 can be for less money

Bond,

In terms of whether you go for a P1 or Evo bond, I personally think you will sway towards the Evo.

You need to test drive them, getting other people's opinion is great, but if you buy a car based on other's opinion and not on what you want then you will end up hating the car.

IMHO don't look at the P1, look at top range import STI's against hte Evo

The P1 is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong, I just think it is way too expensive for what it is!

Michelle.
Old 06 August 2002, 03:07 PM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Barry,
I own a P1 and have done for the last 20 months or so. When I was about to buy I also drove an Evo 6 GSR. I found both cars to be fantastic and there wasn't much in it at all, what Chuck says is entirely true.

My decision to get the P1 and not the Evo was due to the fact that I found myself being able to drive the P1 completely 'normally' whereas I found myself driving like a tw@t in the Evo. As I wanted to hold onto my license for more than 6 months I bought the P1. Also I just like the way the P1 looks.

Cheers

Adam
Old 06 August 2002, 04:50 PM
andyp1
Scooby Regular

Use the bus !

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2002, 07:56 PM
Evo Rosco
Scooby Regular

Barry Stir - Did he catch me at Dono then! When I saw him come up behind me I ended my cooling down lap and had a play. He was 50 yards behind me and still was after another couple of laps! He only caught up after I had to give up due to my power steering hose split! And there are several other Evos I know he hasn't had on track! Mellow is very quick, but he ought to be after 50 track days and a lot of driver tuition!

Chuckster - Good comments! I went from a UK Scoob to my Evo VI GSR. Reason I bought it is because I found other Scoobs like Mellows and a few others would leave me behind on a track day, but never did any Subaru leave me behind like a couple of Evos had. From that I decided it had to be an Evo. As for fuel, I don't find it hardly any worse than my Scoob was MPG, but I do fill up more frequently! I don't do many miles anyway, so the servicing isn't a real pain in the a$$ for me.

If it's outright performance you want, it has to be the Evo. If it's an everyday car you need, it will be the Scooby.
Old 07 August 2002, 08:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

If it has a Type R or RA badge on the back then EVOs run and hide

Best EVO IMHO if you are in the market for one is a EVO 6.5 aka TME
Old 07 August 2002, 08:20 PM
Evo Rosco
Scooby Regular

I'm not biting again
Old 07 August 2002, 08:30 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Smile

"cough" bollocks "cough"
Old 07 August 2002, 08:33 PM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Bond
I'm currently running a p1 and I have also had an evo6.Both cars are excellent and I think it is just down to individual taste which you prefer.I would say the p1 is slightly easier to live with day to day as the suspension is not as harsh.Best think to do is test drive both for yourself and then make your own mind up.Which ever one you choose they are both great cars.
I would appreciate it if you could tell me what you thought of your 993 as I'm thinking of doing the opposite and going from a p1 to a 993.Do you still have the 993?
Old 07 August 2002, 08:33 PM
Evo Rosco
Scooby Regular

Oh sorry, was I telling Porkies? I'll just go and check my cam corder
Old 07 August 2002, 08:41 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Rosco....

Choose the time, track etc.... I'll even pay for the privilage and I'll guarantee to spank your little botty....

Now **** off back to the MLR board you to$$er !
Old 07 August 2002, 08:46 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Just to add ,

Oliver is spot on...both excellent motors....individulist in many ways....the scoob has to have a lot of money and mods done to it to match even a std EVO on power.

Just a shame some peoples ego's tend to inflate when they think theirs is the better car being driven better than anyone else around...... not !
Old 07 August 2002, 08:49 PM
Evo Rosco
Scooby Regular

Oooooh. Did I rattle your cage?

Mellow all I was simply pointing out to Barry is that you don't spank every Evo!
So tell me again what times were you doing at Castle Combe the other month? Next time we're both at a track together we'll have another play for sure, but don't take it to heart, I'm by no means "The Fastest"

Old 07 August 2002, 08:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
"the scoob has to have a lot of money and mods done to it to match even a std EVO on power"

hmmmmmmmm seeing as the P1 and the standard evo have the same power........
Old 07 August 2002, 08:54 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

He only caught up after I had to give up due to my power steering hose split!
Mellow all I was simply pointing out to Barry is that you don't spank every Evo!
The ones he cant catch all he has to do is wait for them to break down . Joke .

[Edited by chrisp - 8/7/2002 8:58:01 PM]
Old 07 August 2002, 09:18 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was undecided between an EVo VI makinen and a P1.
Things that swung it for me...

evo - small fuel tank, no tracker as standard, servicing every 4500, and insurance £700 a year more. Also the driving position seemed very high on the evo (i'm 6'5" tho so maybe that was it )

On the road, there is very little between them as far as I can tell (can't say for the track as I don't go near them)

If you want a car that you're not going to do too much with (modding)and keep a good warranty I'd go for the P1 (well I did anyway)

As for imports. You save yer money and take your chance. I've done it before and been stung BADLY. Third party warranties aren't roth the paper they're written on (IMO).

And the P1 looks and sounds better