Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone else going to Castle coombe on Wednesday?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2001, 12:17 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Oi Oi, the 3-door is fixed (just had a call from Merv at PE to say so) and one of the things he said is that I need to rag it more. The track day Im doing on Wednesday should come in handy then
Has anyone ever been to Coombe before? I would like to know what sort of circuit it is. Is it forgiving or is it a "no mistakes" type of deal?
Also, Is there any where I can kick the back end out in relative safety?
thanks,
astraboy.
Old 09 July 2001, 12:27 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Excellent circuit - my favourite so far from Donno, Goodwood, Bedford, Mallory, Thruxton & Bruntingthorpe.

Bit scarey though, couple of corners with very little run off, and "Avon Rise / Quarry" is fun - 120 over a crest, then start braking into a tight right hander... so no you dont want to loose it and (IMO) you have to be far more careful than you would be at donnington. But it seems to reward smoothness and the technically correct line (whereas the straights at donnington allow the fast cars to really use there horsepower). If you get it right you'll pass far more powerful cars with ease.

If you havent been there before be sure to get someone to show you around - there were some good guys (and girls) there when I went. A session with an instructor makes a huge difference.

Enjoy

jon
Old 09 July 2001, 01:00 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

As Jon says, be careful at Quarry and Tower, and there is NO run off here if you get it wrong. Believe me, I know.
I personally don't find it anywhere near as exciting as Donno as it's relatively flat and nothing more than a roundabout with a couple of chicanes thrown in really.
That said, it is certainly very rewarding when you do get it right, and you'll be able to keep with far more powerful cars despite the couple of decent straights.
For a circuit map go to
Old 09 July 2001, 01:04 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Coombe is a fine track be be carefull at QUARRY, its the first corner after the start finish line. The yump unsettles the car if you brake on it. (Thats why the crowds stand there on race days!) I suggest you brake BEFORE the yump on the first few laps until you know the line.

There are two Chicanes where you sould be able to do some slidey fun without too much worry!

Have Fun.
Old 09 July 2001, 01:28 PM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

ask for a go in the reverse steer 2CV when you break for lunch - great fun!

Mark.
Old 09 July 2001, 02:41 PM
GP
Scooby Regular

ditto on quarry - last bend b4 finish straight (forget name) is perfect for big big rwd powerslides - that's where biggest crowd is also, for same reason (but also for as for quarry, so watch out)
Old 09 July 2001, 02:45 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Definitely agree with warnings about Avon Rise/Quarry.

Over the crest at 100+mph and its a then sharp right with about 3 inches of run off !!! Add that to the whole braking hard and turning experience going a bit light due to gravity and it is quite hairy !!

Dave

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2001, 05:19 PM
beaker
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

A friend of mine in a caterham touched the brake a about 105 going over the rise. Proceeded to hit the barrier backwards.
That'll be 4000 pounds sir......

I think "don't get carried away" is the answer.
Old 10 July 2001, 07:01 AM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

Went round Castle Combe on Saturday in the S2000. There's a chicane after quary where we had it sideways

Wouldn't laugh at Avon/Quary. That's a poo pants set of corners....

There was a sprint there a couple of years ago where there was a guy who had an RS500 (completely stripped and body panels replaced, etc etc). He lost it big time going over Avon and headed backwards into Quary He lit the back wheels up and kept his foot in and stopped just as he reached the gravel . Everyone was standing and cheering.

If you don't get an instructor - keep it tight to the right going over Avon or you'll never make Quary (cross the white line - there's a couple of foot without kerb the otherside) [like *I* know what I'm talking about ]