ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Any Motor Sport or Scoobs near Orlando?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2001, 07:33 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Going to Orlando in 2 weeks time for a fortnight and wondered if there was anything motor sport or Scooby related near by worth a visit
Cheers
Paul
Old 08 July 2001, 10:31 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

There is (from memory) a subaru dealer on 'obt' (orange blossom trail) in Orlando, you might wanna pop in and see if they have any merchandise thats cheaper.

The only other place motorsports related thats really worth visiting in the orlando area is Daytona, site of much car and bike racing. Its about an hours drive north east of Orlando, oh and it has a great beach with some sites that are REALLY worth seeing (you'll know exactly what i mean if you go there).

I always thought banked ovals was a little sad and very overrated, but after doing a few passenger laps at the richard petty driving school i have much more respect for them as we clocked 178mph with me inches away from a concrete wall.

There's a little musuem there and a guided tour of the venue. Plus the richard petty driving experience which is REALLY worth it.

The only other place that springs to mind is a place on International drive called 'Race Rock' its a bar stuffed with motorsports (boat, car, bike, truck, drag etc) memorabilia, its not particularly cheap but its pretty damn good and worth a visit to see various cars/bikes/helmets etc.

I would also advise posting on i-club the american subaru owners club as they might have a meet going on during the time your there etc.

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 08 July 2001).]
Old 09 July 2001, 06:56 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

The other thing is Disney's Wide World of Sports, where you can take a Nascar around an Oval - either driving or as a passenger, it is pretty expensive though I think.

As far as restaurants is concerned, there is also a Nascar Cafe at City Walk (Universal Sutdios) - not as well kitted out as RAce Rock, but its got to Nascars, which start up and wheels spin round - looks better than it sounds!

Also, and finally, Rock N Roller Coaster at MGM is a must based in a "super stretch" limo (so sort of car based!), indoor coaster set to Aerosmith music - a must.

I'm off there soon aswell - enjoy yourself.

Matt
Old 09 July 2001, 07:52 AM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I did Daytona which is about 2 hours drive - My Missus reckoned is was one of the best places we visited on Holiday - make sure you do the three laps there in a Nascar (about $100 but money well spent)
Old 09 July 2001, 10:43 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Saying that, there used to be a richard driving experience right next door to Epcot as well, its not a proper racetrack but if you can't get to Daytona at least you can pay for a few passenger laps or driving laps if you fancy it.

Daytona was two hours drive ?

That'll be why i got a $400 speeding fine whilst going there then

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 09 July 2001).]
Old 09 July 2001, 12:07 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Not much to add to what ptholt said, i-club is at
Old 09 July 2001, 04:22 PM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Red face

I would never condone speeding, especially in the US...

My web searching says Daytona Beach is 56 miles form Orlando down the I4 so 2 hours should be workable (it was also 5am when I did it so my speed my have crept slightly...)

Whatever take it in if you can and if you like speed and noise (must do you run a Scoob) then check NASA's site for Shuttle Launches (normally an early start but an awesome spectacle) - Next two are scheduled for July 12 and August 5, allegedly

Willo

[This message has been edited by Willo (edited 09 July 2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2001, 06:28 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Willo,

On the question of speeding - every time I go, people never seem to adhere to limits. It always strikes me as the same as over here. Just my opinion.

Matt
Old 09 July 2001, 08:26 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

thats what i thought till i got pulled Matt, i'll recite the events and you can make your own minds up.

I was going up a two lane highway north east of orlando, as i was going through some road works (at the speed limit i might add) i caught up with an old beaten up ford weaving between both lanes.

As i got closer to the car it started gradually slowing down while still weaving.

I decided i didnt really want to be slowed down and sandwiched beteen armco and roadworks, so as we exited the roadworks i went past it.

as i went past the car accelerated and started to chase me and try to get back alongside.

I had a good look at the driver on the way past, middle aged african american, no shirt on - i thought he looked drunk.

I decided i'd have enough of this nutter so sped up with him following.

At this stage i noticed a police bike coming the other way, on seeing us it slowed down, cut across the grass central reservation and joined our carriageway with it lights on etc.

I felt a fair bit happier having now got some police protection so started to slow down, the ford sped up and flew past and carried on going.

The police bike came up behind me and indicated me to pull over.
I pulled over, the policeman got off his bike and told my wife and i to keep our hands on the dashboard (i was in a convertible so he could see everything we were doing - if you get pulled DO NOT start rummaging for passports and drivers licenses !!! THEY WILL pull there guns out on you i was told afterwards.)

He asked me if i knew what speed i was doing, i said i did and explained the situation above, saying how we were tourists etc and scared of this nutter behind us.

He then wrote me a ticket for doing 80 in a 55 (and doubled it as I had started speeding whilst still in the roadworks section which is double speeding fine).

I tried explaing that in the uk the police would have stopped the faster car (meaning the blue ford that shot off once the policeman gave chase) and he said in the states it just the luck of the draw and he;s decided to check my speed with his front mounted radar and was not in the least bothered about the other car.

The best he could offer was - i should have carried on at legal speed till the next highway patrol station (about 2 miles up the road it turned out) and got help there!

Needless to say i was less than happy with this, but stayed I stayed polite.
The good news is you can either pay cash or on plastic I opted to pay on plastic once back in the UK.
'Boss hog' then gave me a lecture about skin cancer as well (just wearing shorts) before sending me on my way.

But i'm still a little aggreived at the above and how i was treated.
For what its worth, if you do get pulled bring the ticket home, you can leave it as long as you like and there are no interest charges
Old 09 July 2001, 09:15 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ptholt,

Sorry to hear that bud, especially bad when you have those nice V8's roaring - life's just not fair!
Matt
Old 09 July 2001, 10:02 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Nice v8's ??
I was in a 3 litre chrysler sebring cab that went round corners like a wind surfer and couldnt pull the skin off my wifes gravy !!
Old 10 July 2001, 06:23 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

You obviously picked the woring car. I've had LHS's in the past with Northstar (?) V8's - may not handle for ****, but lots of torque.
Old 10 July 2001, 08:42 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Chryslers run a 3.5 V6 in the LHS and Sebring. Northstar V8 is found in Caddies.
Old 10 July 2001, 10:14 AM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lat trip to San Fran on work saw me hiring a Mustang GT Convertible for the weekend, which led to 1000 miles in 48 hours - Awesome car, especially with the traction control switched off!! (and only $300 all in)
Old 10 July 2001, 10:33 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

3.5 litre in a sebring ?
felt more like 1100cc
till i saw how much it drank anyway.

Which hire company does mustangs ?

I've been with a few hire co's and isially end up in chryslers, had a ford bronco once which was seriously disapointing.
Old 10 July 2001, 10:46 AM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got the GT from Budget who also had a nice line in Jag convertibles - I guess they do anything from the Ford stable??
Old 10 July 2001, 09:26 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas for all the advice sounds like there's plenty to do. I had heard they were strict about speeding, thought we had it fairly bad, must remember not to try and hire a Scoob, could not afford the fines!
Ptholt, sorry to hear about your experience, but I think I would have done the same if it's any help

Cheers
Paul
Old 10 July 2001, 10:25 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Going for a Dodge Durango 4x4 this time Wilf - V8 Ithink