Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Autocar Mag - Its Official - Racing Puma better than Scoob.

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2000, 06:04 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Can't remember the wording but the review of the Racing Puma in this weeks Autocar ( same edition with scooby scoop) seems to say the Puma is better than the Impreza Turbo.

Haven't driven the Puma but can't see it myself.

Ed
Old 28 January 2000, 07:58 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I had a puma on order last year till my son made an unexpected appearance and we had to cancel the order and get a sensible four door car - YEAH RIGHT !!

Anyway, i found the puma a damn good drive. the engine revs beyond belief (its built in partnership by mazda and yamaha) and its like a motorbike engine compared to most cars.

But it just doesn't have the grunt, the handling or the acceleration of the scoob.
Old 28 January 2000, 08:59 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Scoob and Puma - No comparison!
Puma is a nice car no doubt about it but no way is it anywhere near the Scoobs league.

Mick
Old 28 January 2000, 09:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't think it quite said that...it said that it was not as fast or as able, practical, but it did suggest that at LOWER speeds it was more fun - not least of which 'cos it's performance envelope is a bit smaller than the Scoobs.
Old 28 January 2000, 09:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Oooops
Sorry I can't claim to have driven the racing Puma! I missread the header and fired off!

Mick
Old 28 January 2000, 09:27 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Must trade my scooby in for one .

I just dont like the looks, too trended and no bonnet scoop.

Not really that popular IMHO as I havent seen that many (standard pumas that is).

Its just the journo favourite of the month until a mag prints that the cars rubbish and they all suddenly drop it like a hot brick.

Back on the thread, the racing Puma will probably be a good car and sell well, not for me though

Cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 28-01-2000).]
Old 28 January 2000, 11:53 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Guys

My wife has the (ordinary) Puma and it's great!!

I sometimes even enjoy driving it more than my WRX Sti Type-R as you can "throw" it about without too much worries.

Steve.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2000, 12:22 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

hahahaha

can't stop laughing..

is this post for real..

Do I really own (will do shortly when the insurance pays out!) a 4wd 218+bhp super sure footed, agressive looking, head turning blat mobile - or do I yearn for a souped up hair dressers car?? Let's face it in the climate we have over here it's usually going to be damp/wet - I know where I'd rather be!

Oh I would don flame suit for all you girlie types who want to have a go... but I have just come back from the pub and I'm fuelled up - and can feel no pain.

p.s. (patiently waiting for the men in white coats)

rant over - "appreciate what you have got, as you will miss it when it has gone"

[This message has been edited by jjones (edited 29-01-2000).]
Old 30 January 2000, 11:00 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Careful here as everyone seems to be jumping on the 'Puma better than Scoob - No Way' bandwagon.

Remember that Autocar are talking about the Racing Puma which has been seriously breathed on by Tickford. It costs about the same as the Scoob and according to Evo is a damn fine car. In fact I think they described it as the best fast Ford ever (any comments Mr. Rainbird - serious and interesting comments that is of course).

Whether it's as good as the Scoob is of course a subjective opionion, but I think we should tread carefully before slagging it off.

Personally I think it looks rather good (from the pictures in Evo - I haven't seen one in the flesh yet).

Regards,

Tiggers
Old 31 January 2000, 08:10 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiggers,
Never driven either standard car or "Racing" version, as despite its supposed capable chassis, at the end of the day it is EVEN more girlie than 4wd (fwd that is...!)
LOL
Mike
PS Probably change my mind if I drove one!
Old 31 January 2000, 08:17 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Tiggers

23K for Puma. When did the Scoob cost that much. For 23K you could have a Scoob with the PP.

Now we have

0-60 in 5.2 secs vs 7.2 secs
0-100 in 14.2 secs vs 22.2 secs

The Scooby driver has gone 0-100-0, got out of the car and lit a *** before the Puma even hits 100.

The Puma's performance is a joke. An 12k VTS or 106 is only .5 sec of its pace. It might handle well, but the performance is woefull. The 306GTI 6 would eat it for dinner and cost 5k less. It might be a great Ford, but thats what it is a Ford. Hate to think what Ford will charge for the Focus. 23K for a car without 4 wheel drive or a Turbo.

On top of that its like the MG, SLK etc a Hairdressers car.

Jonathan
Old 31 January 2000, 08:52 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

Outright power is nice but wonderful handling and brakes can make up for a lot. The Puma is one of the very best fwd cars there is, right up there with the Type-R Hondas.

I agree that it's mainly bought by women, and that it could handle more power, but that doesn't make it a girly car - it's incredibly capable and agile. And more than that, it's real fun.

Incidentally, you're right to worry about the Focus - from what I understand, the transmission for a 4wd turbo version would have to be completely bespoke (read expensive). Estimated price is a minimum of £30k, though it would be a stunner if it ever arrives. I wonder if it isn't too expensive though - after all, the biggest hook about the Impreza is that it's a supercar for Mondeo money.
Old 31 January 2000, 09:06 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

All we have read about the Puma is from Journalists. The Puma has yet to be given a full group test against the 306, 206, Scooby, Accord etc. Most test have been on a nice smooth track or the USA.

I agree that good handling can make up for a lot, but not this type of performance. The price is a joke. 18k yes, but 23k makes the P1 look the bargin of last Millenium and this.

I'd still take a 306 and spend 2k with LAD. Or why not buy an Elise for the same money. Is it really better than that ?.

Jonathan
Old 31 January 2000, 09:16 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I don't think you can realistically compare the Puma with the Scoob, except on price.

They are, IMHO, way too different and will appeal to different people.

I would, mind you, be a bit p**sed off if having spent that much money I couldn't outrun a half decent hot hatch in a straight line. Racing puma was originally touted to have 175BHP, not the 153 its ended up with.

Seen one in the flesh and it does look the business, so to speak.

But I know where my £23k would go.

D.
Old 31 January 2000, 09:20 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Well .... value for money is a highly subjective one. I've driven the 306-GTI6 and been less than impressed. OK, so it's fast, but I was bored. No way would I pay £18k for it, still less pay an additional £2k to improve it.

The Puma has has a serious amount of money spent on the suspension and steering, so there's nothing more to spend (other than a limited slip diff, which is a cheap option). And it'll not depreciate much - only 1000 of them, all sold out.

Having said all of that, Elise vs Puma? I'd take the Elise and live with the discomfort, impracticality and additional costs.
Old 31 January 2000, 09:54 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Torque drives cars - BHP sells em.....

UK Scoob has around 220lbs torque (as rolling roads confirm) WRX's have 260 odd
Racing Puma has 119lbs.....
They weigh almost the same (EVO mag actually has the Puma heavier than a scoob)
Thats one hell of a difference.

I bet the Puma is no faster then the hot hatch brigade (306-6/VTS/Golf GTi)...the very cars I have so much fun leaving for dead on any type of road....

Ro

Old 31 January 2000, 01:58 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

I have had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure, of driving one of our development ST160`s last week. Yes I work for Ford!

In essense the 150miles I spent in the car were more `exciting` than the same roads in my Scoob.

Now before you all start going on the Puma was doing at LEAST 20-40MPH less than I would have been in the Scoob for the same driver concentration.

Conversely roads where you would be cruising in the scoob without even thinking about it would have you with a furrowed browed, white knuckels and sweaty palms.

The reason - The Puma feels so raw. The intake noise, popping on overrun and instant throttle responce adds 30PS (in your mind).

It is set-up so stiffly that it will steer you into the hedge if you don`t pay attention.

The flip side is a car that I reckon would give a scoob a run for its money in-terms of corning speed / adjustability especially on a track (the straights would be a bit boring mind) and has mind-blowing brakes (I imagine this is what the scoobysport Brembo`s ar e like).

All in all an awsome bit of kit, certainly slower relative to the scoob, but arguablly more thrilling!
Old 31 January 2000, 02:30 PM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Great car the Puma nearly bought one before our daughter came along. The mechanics,drive etc were fantastic but pulling onto a motorway or parallel parking it...scary!!
Old 31 January 2000, 07:03 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Used to have a 306GTI6, great car, but you had to work hard to get the performance out of it.

I guess the Puma is the same which leads me to isolate one key Scoob advantage...

-the ease with which cracking performance is delivered.

To be fair Autocar does acknowledge that the Scoob 'in the cold light of day' in performance terms was better, but then concluded that the Puma had more charisma.

Flat four vs straight four...know which I prefer.

Ed

Old 02 February 2000, 01:29 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

By the time you've got aircon bolted on to the Scoob which you have to have if your to breathe in summer or see out of the car in winter your getting pretty close to £23K particularly if your having the metallic paint option.

Anyway unless you know a different meaning for the word 'about' I would say that they are 'about' the same price.

Still the world wouldn't be the same without it's fair share of pedants would it.

At the end of the day I'm sure the Scoob will ultimately see the Racing Puma off in back to back performance tests. I was merely pointing out that the Racing Puma is not your average run of the mill shopping trolley.

What a lot of people on this BBS seem to forget is that at the Scoob/Racing Puma level the biggest variable in the performance equation is you, the driver. The only reason you only 'blow away' some of these cars by as bigger margin as you do is because they are not trying!

Regards,

Tiggers.
Old 02 February 2000, 05:53 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dont dismiss the Puma, most mags rate it as an excellent drivers car.

My last (pre scoob) car was an MR2 MK1 which in many respects was more of a drivers car than the Scoob becuase it offered a more chalenging, communicative drive. I bought the scooby becasue I do more miles now and wanted something Fast, reliable, bigger that can overtake anywhere and doesent bother about wet roads. The scooby is fantastic (unbeatable?) for this but still does not quite have some of the "fun" that my MR2 had. I suspect the Racing puma is more MR2 than ScoobyDoo.

Sorry

Dave.
Old 04 February 2000, 10:31 PM
Steve Mason
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Pants !
It's a FORD.
23K for a Fiesta in a dodgy coat.
Let's face it, it's all personnal choice, if your mad and stupid a 23K underpowered Puma seems like great value.
Incidentally, Autocar stated this week that the Lotus Elan S2 is still the best handling FWD car ever made ( I agree, mind you I am biased as I have one and a Scoob ) so where does that put Mr 23K butch hairdresser Puma ? The media always constantly contradict themselves. Some of the so called great cars they like I hated in test drives, like I said it's personnel choice, still think 23K for a Puma is a lot in todays world.

Steve.
Old 04 February 2000, 10:53 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

You dont think the press were influenced by the 1st class flight to San Francisco and 5 star hotel. How can they compete with the P1 drives at sunny Banbury.

Interestingly What Car this month thinks the std car is a better bet and question the price.

Jonathan