Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Lights At Dusk

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2000, 08:40 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mini roundabout last weekend, me tottering along very slowly (I obey the 30 mph speed limit)and I come to the roundabout.

I look, look again and pull out, as I look again I have Renault 25 almost parked in my side, lucky he braked otherwise I would have required some serious bodywork. He mouthed a series of obscenities at me, I shrunk into my seat mouthing extreme apologies and thinking what an idiot I am.

Thing was it was dusky he was in a grey car with no lights on.

For the rest of the short journey home, I did a brief survey.

Cars with lights on were very easy to see

White cars with no lights were easyish

Grey cars with no lights on were bloody difficult to see.

The moral of my story is beware at dusk and try to look for the car you may not be able to see.

Dave
Old 05 February 2000, 04:16 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drive arround with my lights on all the time.

One day when I grow up I want a Volvo!
Old 05 February 2000, 10:43 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Anders

Assuming your post is serious. Then I'm with you on this one. With all the safety initiatives around, I've never been able to understand why the issue of "running lights", or what ever you want to call them, has never been pushed harder. Lets be honest folks, a fair number of people take their brains out when getting into a car and even the simplest of jobs.... Like switching your lights on when the visibility drops, appears to be beyond then! Yes.... a pet hate of mine. Near F***ing invisible cars. I see it every day of the week... Rant, rant, rant...
Old 05 February 2000, 10:48 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

O'yes and while I'm having a moan. How about... People who pull out in front of you on a motorway (or any road come to that) with out bothering to indicate (like that plonker of an Audi driver on the M9 last week). People who use mobile phones while driving, still a major hazard and why o'why, has this not been made an offence! Peopl who see you pull out to pass them on motorways and then pull out in front of you, take beeping ages to try and pass the lorry in front, only for the lorry to pull out to pass another lorry that's coming up. Also people who have not a clue how to join a motorway from a slip road.... O'the list is endless. I'm also for re-tests every few years etc etc.

Glad to get that off my chest...
Old 06 February 2000, 05:33 AM
Raz
Scooby Regular

I read some place that driving around (volvo style) with lights on during the day reduces accidents by 12% (US study) .
Old 06 February 2000, 04:17 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Sidelights always on as they go off with the ignition.
Old 06 February 2000, 05:51 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Cool

My lights are always on, unless I am tracking a motorway Police car!

The nice thing about my Scooby Sport lights is that with my normal lights on, oncoming traffic sometimes think I am driving on main beam.

With a quick flash I can prove otherwise and it always has resulted in them turnig off their main beam!

Trending Topics

Old 06 February 2000, 06:12 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Cool

I allways drive with both sets of lights on during the daytime - ever since going on holiday in Norway - you have to keep your lights on there all the time - its law - but I think its a good idea - over my way - (yorkshire) theres loads of forrests etc that can get very dark during the day in summer even - it dont cost you out does it ? just to flip the switch
Old 06 February 2000, 09:30 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The sooner people learn to be considerate to others, the safer the roads will be. Making sure that everyone can see you is common sense isn't it ?

Philip,

Hope you don't drive with front fogs on. Coz its illegal don't ya know .

DaveW
Old 06 February 2000, 09:35 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

I do actually drive with a lot of due care and attention ) - I make sure that during the dark hours when driving into traffic - I do not use foglights, and make sure my headlights are on the lowest level possible to make sure people can see where they are heading - I wouldnt want anyone to scratch my car now would I ?
Old 06 February 2000, 10:23 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Personally I am for compusory dipped headlights from lighting up time, none of this "ok with side lights in built up area" *rap. Sidelights for parked cars maybe. I am observant but sometimes, specially on cars with sidelights not using the main unit (a la scoob), they are impossible to see. And when they have to brake sharply to avoid you (when they are obviously exceeding the speed limit) you get a torrent of abuse.

I would say that any accident resulting sidelights not being noticed would poss have a certain amount of contributory negligence on the other parties side.

Mike Owen

The use of mobile phones whilst driving is covered by the offence of "Driving without Due Care & Attention" & is also mentioned in Highway Code as a No No. BTW, using a handsfree kit is also a No No.