ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

De-catting / Downpipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2001, 09:12 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Speaking to Dr Evil and Nito (nice to meet you) on saturday with regard to the above.
I have 2 years Subaru warranty remaining so done want to do anything to jeopardise this; but wouldnt mind increasing performance a touch.
a)How much to decat? Would it have any bad effects on the car? Invalidate warranty? Performance increase by how much? Any other points?
b) I am sure that the downpipe would invalidate but curious anyway.

Anyone done any of the above?

Cheers

Jas
Old 23 July 2001, 09:21 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

you can change the mid-section cat for a straight thru section and the backbox without invalidating warranty, but if you change the downpipe and cat, you will invalidate warranty.

bhp increase from changing the mid section and backbox with, for example, a scoobysport one, would be around 30-35bhp (can anyone be more accurate here - pete c !!)

dave

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 23 July 2001).]
Old 23 July 2001, 09:22 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by druddle:
<B>AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH mondays. i hate them.
[/quote]

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 23 July 2001).]
Old 23 July 2001, 10:52 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Following on from what Dave has said - a lot depends on your dealer - some won't even let you fit a new back box, while others have a more 'enlightened' attitude. If you were to have a problem, a lot would depend on their attitude. For instance, if you have the DP done and your brake discs crack, most dealers would say that the two events are not connected and would put in a claim for new discs. Others may not be so understanding...

Chris
Old 23 July 2001, 09:02 PM
AdrianM
Scooby Regular

I've got a full Scoobysport system (incl downpipe) so have no CATs at all. The dealer in Pangbourne has told me my warranty is OK...who knows what would happen in the event of a claim though???

Adrian
Old 23 July 2001, 11:01 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi jjk,

Taken from the SIDC website:

"4.11 Warranties and the effect of modifications
From the Subaru Passenger Vehicles Service and Warranty Book:

What is Not Covered
A. Defects, malfunctions or failures resulting from misuse (e.g. overloading, rallying or racing), negligence, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper adjustment or repairs, accidents, installation of parts not equivalent in quality and design to parts supplied by SUBARU (UK) LIMITED, add-on parts, improper maintenance or use of fuels, oils and/or lubricants other than those recommended.

The key phrase here is "resulting from ... modification". If you fit a non-standard air freshener and then the rear axle falls off, chances are the warranty claim will be allowed. If you rewire the lights and then you find you keep blowing bulbs, chances are it won't."

I would suggest that any adjacent part to a modified one would not be covered as it may be deemed a course i.e. a new centre section and backbox on the exhaust would still leave the downpipe between you and engine.Therefore no problem. If you changed the downpipe and had turbo issues a dealer may link the two and say no...........

Really its your decision and your risk. But in the end its down to that dealer

J