ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2001, 10:39 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok this is probably going to make me look really stupid but hey I'm not an expert on engines.
Coming up to my 1000 miles run in service at 860 at the moment. Noticed this morning that the car is letting off visble exhaust fumes and water dripping from the exhaust. Don't remember seeing this before but I have seen it on a lot of other cars. Is this bad or is it something that just happens. the car is going in for it's 1000 mile service on Friday so is it worth mentioning to them.

Cheers

Peter
Old 24 July 2001, 10:44 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

its good. its fine.

The perfect engine would produce only carbon dioxide and water in the exhaust, it is an indication of complete combustion.

When your exhaust is cold, the steam in your exhaust pipe condenses on the metal and then forms pools of water. This collects in the exhaust pipe then drips out.

When the exhaust metal is hotter, it wont happen.

There is nothing wrong with this at all.
Old 24 July 2001, 10:47 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Sounds perfectly normal (as long as the exhaust emmisions aren't blue or black!!)

You will get water anyway, and sometimes get a bit of "smoke", but not a lot.

My cars just had it's 1000 miler and I haven't noticed any smoke since. Still a bit of water tho'.
Old 24 July 2001, 10:56 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Don't worry, its water vapour coming from a cold engine. It should go away once the engine is fully warmed up. The exhaust condenses some of the vapour, hence the water dripping from the end. FYI, this is why cars that do a lot of short journeys eat mild steel backboxes very quickly. Its a valid excuse for uprating your exhaust to a stainless steel (read performance ) version.

Sleep well

Justin
Old 24 July 2001, 11:02 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for that guys. As far as I could see the Exhaust fumes were white. The exhaust didn't seemed to have any smell either after the engine was turned off. I was worried it might have been the supposedly thin oil they put in the engine to begin with burning up. I think I'm just paranoid about keeping the car in the best condition.