Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

While I'm in Japan......

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2001, 12:52 AM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shall I import a WRX? Okay I currntly have a UK spec turob back at home and after seeing these lovely motors out here in Tokyo I am wondering whether it is a good idea to ditch my UK spec and buy a Sti IV or V for the same money. I have found one here on goo web which is the Japanese equivalent of Auto Trader. Please can anyone help me with any info regarding export fees and downsides to exporting.

Example for you:
Old 24 July 2001, 01:22 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi

Nerd alert (me)!

Right, you may know this but that picture is not an sti4, it would be either be a 1 or 2 if an Sti at all. Reason for doubt is I can't see the sti logo behind the front wheel arch. If it is an sti, is it a version 1 then? Not sure. i.e. it could be a wrx with sti badges. Check the engine number.

Also, I think I spy a roof vent, so it is likely an RA (or V-limited perhaps?). If an RA, check for short ratio box, etc....

Would need to know more about the car to give advice i.e. exactly what model you are looking at. Current exchange rate means it is not necessarily cheaper to import from Japan.

Happy hunting

Mike
Old 24 July 2001, 01:29 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Would the fact it says WRX STI V2 in the text above it be a clue?
Old 24 July 2001, 01:49 PM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Hi nerd (Tractor) I was using that as an example Subaru Impreza regardless of STi mark. It was more to show the price of vehicle which is 1,580,000 Yen which works out at around nine thousand pounds. I would be happy importing a vehicle of this age and am not too bothered whether it be a four or five yr old Sti. Just wanted tips really about exporting problems/advantages.

Old 24 July 2001, 02:30 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Contigo..

You'd get a better deal at
Old 24 July 2001, 02:49 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

For info on what it takes to export a car from Japan it might be worth chatting to MVI services: take a look at
Old 24 July 2001, 02:51 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

To be honest a ver 2 with 65,000 km from 1995 is not a great deal at £9,000. You've also got to add shipping charges, insurance etc etc. You can surely pick up a similar car in Uk for the same or less - Just a casual look in autotrader finds for example a 1996 sti vers 2 with 30,000 miles at £9,500 from a dealer (so some sort of warranty) - it surely isnt worth it ?