ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

LPG Conversion Now A Reality

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2001, 11:35 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Not my bag, but it was a recent topic. We have a few cars at work that have been converted very successfully, and with our own LPG tank in the yard it only costs about 24p per litre.

I was taking to the guy who does our conversions and he says that it is now possible to convert Scoobies. It will cost approx. £2,000 and take 3 days to install. This is due to extra work involving multi-point fuel injection systems and these systems carry a price premium at the moment.

If anyone wishes to obtain further information they can contact Northern Autogas on 01924 235755.

Naturally, usual disclaimers apply as I do not know if he has actually converted a Scooby before and what it was like after. Make your own mind up.

TONY
Old 03 August 2001, 11:49 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Location: Waltham, a nice village that's just a little too close to Grimsby!
Exclamation

Scooby should run realy smoothly on gas, due to the high octane of the fuel (about 108 i believe!)
However, LPG does have a downside...
I recently created a website for an autogas conversion company near Louth(Lincolnshire), and they mentioned problems with certain cars. Honda's apparently dont run for very long when switched to LPG! This, I am told is down to the Dryness of the gas?
Turbo cars are quite an entertaining conversion aswell, because of the varying fuel pressures/delivery rates, it's important to get the correct fuel/air ratio throughout the rev range.

I'm no expert on this subject, as you can probably tell, but I am just poining what I have been told... Some cars won't run on LPG for very long before it all goes pear shaped!!!
If you don't know of a Subaru that has been converted, then be very carefull! There could be a reason!
Old 03 August 2001, 11:52 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Cool

NBC

As I stated, I am not interested in it. I will stick to the SUL Recently others have expressed an interest.

TONY