ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mileage query

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2000, 04:08 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I have seen a few Turbo's for sale now with quite a high mileage on them and wondered what the record was with regard to this?
What is the highest you've come across without a serious mechanical failure?
Any answers would be of great interest.
Ron
Old 06 February 2000, 09:06 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RON,

I have been told (by an independent car dealer) that he knows about 2 Scoobies owned by vets that have about 150k miles on them. Apart from regular servicing and normal consumable items (tyres, clutch etc), nothing has gone wrong with them.

Don't know whether its true or not. But he didn't have any reason to lie (I wasn't buying a car from him).

DaveW
Old 08 February 2000, 08:42 AM
fudge
Scooby Newbie

Smile

i got my MY99 sport in dec 98. one of the reasons for this purchase was the reliability of my previous transport:
a 1991 legacy 2.2GX estate. it was 2 years old when i bought it, 64k on the clock and a full service history.
i sold it in dec 98 with 142k on it. apart from the usual consumables, the only item replaced in it's entire life
up to that date was the engine water temperature sensor. both the clutch and the battery were the original factory
items, and it didn't lose a drop of oil between changes.
Old 08 February 2000, 12:45 PM
CiaranK
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi there..
I bought my own 97MY 5dr with 29k on the clock, all of which had been put up in one year by a guy who worked for Kodak, and who had spent most of his time running up and down motorways. The car came with cruise control and had 4 main dealer stamps in the handbook. This was the main factor which gave me peace of mind when I changed to the Impreza from a succession of boringly reliable Golf Gtis. The car has now got 53k on it (after 20 months in my hands) and has been reliable to a point…the gearbox jammed a month ago while I was doing (thankfully) 25 mph and brought proceedings to an abrupt halt. The box has been replaced under warranty, and except for a new clutch (which I replaced when I saw the state of the original 53k one!) and new brake pads all around at 45k, the car has required only the normal servicing specified in the handbook. It now feels better than it did when I bought it, and assuming that the turbo was not abused by the first owner, I am not anticipating any other major expense in the next few years. I intend to keep the car for at least another 2-3 years if not more, as it could be difficult finding something else which would give me as much satisfaction. Another Impreza, you might say? Yes, but why lash out more money on another when this one has so much life left in it?
-Ok, if I win the lottery, then.
So, mate, go buy a second hand one by all means.. but find out as much as you can from the previous owner about what has been changed, and when.. if he has replaced 3 or 4 clutches in 50 thousand miles, don’t be surprised if Mr. Gearbox / Mr. Turbo give bother shortly afterwards. Get the dealer to extend the warranty for peace of mind. And if you have any doubts, walk away. But get a good one- and don’t get me wrong, I love mine- you will NEVER regret it.
Old 08 February 2000, 09:11 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

i should be able to keep my car until i'm 157 years old with no serious mechinical failures then!
cool!
Old 09 February 2000, 10:34 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A friend of mine has a 95/96 uk turbo, when
he got it, it was a dealer demonstrator ,
up to now he has covered almost 100k miles
with regular servicing , the only thing that
has gone wrong was a wheel bearing at about
60k , reliable or what! btw late last year
he was offered £11.5k trade-in on a new car.

Still waiting for mine from gertjan (april)
ray t