ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dreamcast or Playstation

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2000, 07:53 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Dreamcast myself -Sega RAlly2 is the biz, used to have PSX, like the look of PSX2, what about everyone else ?
Old 09 February 2000, 08:42 PM
ChrisB

Playstation fans may want to take a look at this story...

Sony confesses PlayStation 2 won't play all PSX 1 games

Sony has admitted that the upcoming PlayStation 2 may not be quite as backwardly compatible as the consumer electronics giant has previously claimed.

According to a Bloomberg report, Sony Computer Entertainment director Kenichi Fukunaga said some older titles may not run on the new console after all.

Potential problems with the PlayStation 2's ability to play original PlayStation games was first mooted by Japanese gaming publisher Jiji Press. It claimed some games don't work with the new console's video system.

Get the full story at:
Old 09 February 2000, 09:02 PM
Steve Gee
Scooby Regular

PSX every time!
More choice & cheaper.
If my games don't work on PS2, it won't stop me buying it, and anyway I wasn't going to throw trusty PSX1 out anyway.
Playstation rules.
Steve
Old 09 February 2000, 10:35 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Playstation.
Sega always miss the boat with their systems.
The Dreamcast is already outshone by PS2.
Looking forward to the next generation Nintendo console but if it uses cartridges they can stick it right up my an HKS Super Drager!
Old 10 February 2000, 12:02 AM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

My Dreamcast is just collecting dust at the moment (mainly thanks to Tony Hawk and of course GT2!!!! )

Quite frankly I don't think it'll get used much since the PS2 will wipe all opposition!

Still with Sega's back catalogue, they should still be able to bring us some classics! I know I'll be buying Ferrari 355 Challenge if they ever release it (if you don't know this one, keep your eyes peeled next time your near an arcade, it's *worth* it)

Metropolis Street Racer looks cool! Let's hope the car dynamics are up to scratch, I quite fancy rippin' it up around London

L8r
Old 10 February 2000, 07:29 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

absolutely everyone I know is dismissing the dreamcast. Sony will clear up.

the PSX hasnt been technically superior for a long time, but when companies are squeezing 95% out of it it holds its own.
Old 10 February 2000, 09:55 AM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A fellow PSX owner bought a Dreamcast - we tried it for half an hour then plugged the PSX back in! Maybe technically superior, but the games are crap.

BTW SegaRally2 was one that we tried - much prefer the old Col.Mac. Rally any day.

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2000, 10:01 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

DEFINATELY Playstation.

CMR is far superior to Sega Rally 2 and CMR2 is said to be even better.

Anyway, you can't get GT2 for a Dreamcast.

Case Closed
Old 10 February 2000, 10:20 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Playstation. Why? well apart from my loylaty to sony products, it's a rather groovy machine, and most of the games are cool. Dreamcast is groovy but I, and many of my friends have no faith in Sega after the Saturn debacle, and I think a lot of other people may agree.
My friend only got a DC because a) It was cheap, and b) He could play Soul Calibre, which they dropped from PSX development!

I *will* be getting PS2, mainly because of the DVD side of things, as I don't yet have a DVD player and I'd rather kill two birds with one stone. Plus I *need* GT2000.

Very, very tempted to get a friend to pop over to Japan and pickup a PS2 in 20 days time, though I doubt I will, mainly as GT2000 or Tekken Tag Tournement are not going to be released on launch day.

Ah well, looks like I'm going to have a reall groovy Xmas pressie this year! (and I hope santa brings me a scooby too!)
Old 10 February 2000, 11:26 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I don't think we've seen the best from the Dreamcast yet - it took PS programmers three years to be able to really stretch it, and most of the initial wave of releases were pants.

I think the Dreamcast is at that point in it's lifecycle, and the quality of later releases will improve a lot.

Having played a bit of Sega Rally on the dreamcast, I must say that I was very underwhelmed. The handling was unrealistic and 'arcadey', the quality of the UHF output on the TV was rubbish, and the resolution seemed to be very low as well (512x384?).
It didn't really look that much better than the current crop of PS racers - I was disappointed after seeing the Edge screenshots of things in development.

The hardware spec of the PS2 is very much superior, so if it were my money I would wait for the PS2 launch. There will be a similar wait for decent games, but it offers much CPU and graphics power, more flexibility and DVD for not much more money.
It should be awesome once the developers get to grips with programming it.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 10 February 2000, 11:34 AM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

PSX..... more of my friends have them, so more game sharing can occur!