Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed Cameras in the news today, in case you miss it...

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 03:26 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

A couple of articles thay may have slipped your attention...

The Sun reporting a politician saying that all speed cameras should be painted bright orange (so it must be true ).
Old 13 August 2001, 03:49 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Nimbus,

I think there IS more demand for speed cameras, I want more, BUT!

where they are needed, not on long straight A roads and motorways. Outside schools, and in town centres would get my vote.

robski
Old 13 August 2001, 04:20 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Angry

I can't believe that the public want more speed cameras. I can't believe that they save lives. I have never seen a working speed camera in a place of danger.
It is possible to make figures say want you want them to say. I am very skeptical about these claims that the cameras have prevented deaths.
I agree that there are some dangerous drivers out there who drive at completely inappropriate speeds, but the way things are going, we are all being inconvenienced to suit these self righteous little anti car groups. It is like culling 1000 cows because 1 of them has CJD.
Everyone is currently accepting the introduction of all these cameras. Will they also accept the introduction of lower speed limits? Will they accept harsher penalties, with increased fines and more bans?
Of course they will.
Then they will be complaining because their insurance has gone up due to the 9 points on their license. They might also complain when they get another 3 points and lose there license, which in turn causes them to lose their job.
If all the speed cameras were outside schools, or near playgrounds, then I would support the use of them 100 percent.
Unfortunately, they are just another tool used to take any enjoyment out of driving altogether. The freedom to travel will soon be a thing of the past.
Am I the only person who feels this way?
Am I wrong?

[This message has been edited by dustbin hoffman (edited 13 August 2001).]
Old 13 August 2001, 04:20 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Heartily agree Robski,

However the article does not mention that this is were they would be placed. If it's a continuation of the current trend then they will be placed on open dual-carriage ways and A roads that have no accident record just to bring in the revenue.

If the actual story was that "motorist want more cameras <I>in accident black spots and out side of schools</I>" then that's what they should report, not just an attention getting bit implying that motorist what speed cameras irrespective of where they are placed...
Old 13 August 2001, 04:28 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

At no point does the "truth" come into this argument any more. A small unelected group that doesn't represent the views of the bulk of the British public tells lies about speeding, then the government, the police and the media tell them again.

Speed cameras are being introduced for two reasons and two reasons only:
1) Increase govt. revenue by taxing the general public.
2) To monitor and record the daily movements of the population.

To (slightly mis-) quote
Old 13 August 2001, 06:13 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Did anyone see Tonight with Trevor McDonald last week? They had a guy on that who said that using death and injury figures to justify these things is a very bad way of doing it as whether someone is Ok, injured or killed in an accident is variable! Someone might die in a slow accident and someone may walk away from a fast accident with a scratch. Cars are getting safer and there are other variables so as someone else said on this thread "It is possible to make figures say want you want them to say"!
Old 13 August 2001, 07:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Two things...

Firstly, this John Spellar (Transport Minister) chappy was blabbing on about road safety, then what does he go and do?

He stands on top of a <B>step-ladder</B>, on an unprotected central reservation on a dual carriageway, in front of a Gatso, with tens of members of the press filming and taking photos.

He was putting himself, and all the sheep-like press, in unnecessary danger, and must have been a major distraction for passing traffic.

Absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Secondly, all this talk about lives saved by Gatsos is total an utter bollocks!!! Just about every Police force that participated in this "trail" had reported abnormally high road accident figures in the year previous to the Gatso blitz. Thus, the figures <I>conveniently</I> dropped back to normal the following year, but guess who gets the credit.

Don't take my word for it, see the facts at
Old 13 August 2001, 07:28 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Angry

ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! ABSOLUTE BOLLOXS (IMHO)

I have nothing further to add that hasn't already been said so i'll shut up.

MIKEY

p.s We should always question authority, especially if we think we have a better way of doing things.

p.p.s Does this all feel like we are slipping into a communist state where we will all be forced to comply?

p.p.p.s Ba5tards didn't mention this before the elections did they?

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
Old 13 August 2001, 10:20 PM
chelsie_uk
Scooby Regular

Yes
videos/news is good on

Old 13 August 2001, 10:34 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Someone took exception to one of the one-eyed monsters on the A64 in Leeds at the weekend and gave it a poke in the eye with a big stick. It looked quite strange with a three foot chunk of wood sticking out of the lense.

Some of the most law abiding citizens I know, who wouldn't drive 1mph over any limit, are turning very anti-police over the plans to install more highway robbery devices.

Its a pity they don't put as much effort into reducing real crime. Here in Leeds its like down-town LA on a bad Saturday night in some areas, with guns blazing on every street corner. You have to drive pretty fast with your doors locked to just to stay alive.

Ken

[This message has been edited by KenG (edited 13 August 2001).]