ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

GT2 - taking it back.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2000, 02:11 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

okay - I want to whinge, and hope Dario replies!

This game has pi**ed me off to the extent that Im going to take it back. I love the new cars and new tracks, but there are too many bugs, its too unstable, and it feels totally rushed together - rather like a Lotus

so......

1) Why does it not save track times? At all?
2) Why does it keep crashing?
3) Why does it automatically go straight into a replay? even if i've quit before end of race/end of licence attempt?
4) Whats happened to qualifying?
5) Why doesnt it default to 'start' on races etc...
6) Whats happened to the graph on gear ratio selection??? The numbers on their own are a little meaningless
7) Why cant you actually race in the arcade dirt track mode?

I know these are all a little petty, but I had very high hopes for this, and frankly I think its worse than the original cos it's so incomplete.

boo hoo

yes Im pathetic
Old 09 February 2000, 02:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Not gonna take mine back, but I share your views, especially the auto replay! that this *real* pain, I've come really close to throwing the controller at the wall (maybe I'm not a well adjusted individual)

Anyway, I'd like to add to your list:

* Why can't I save/load the car setups. I have to resort to pen and paper - this is the 21st freaking century for gods sake!

* Why do the dealers display the wrong HP for a car. Classic example, Toyota GT One - Dealer = 591 hp (just right for the GT300 race) Take it to my garage and it's HP has gone up to 593 - What!!!!! this means I cannot race it in GT300, what a waste of a million credits.

* An option in your garage to change machine settings would be nice, no need to enter a race or go to machine test to change things

* List of who you are going to race. It galls me that I can enter a race and stomp on the competition and then next time things get more even!

* Where is the option to fine tune the boost setting being used?

* A better manual explaining the settings, for example, TCCS, ASSC, auto setup of max speed and accelleration.

* GT2 screenshots in the manual, not GT1 ones!

* probably loads of others but I've got to stop or I'll smash my keyboard in frustration!!

grrrrrrrrrr!

Maybe things will be cleared up for GT2000 / GT3, on PS2
Old 09 February 2000, 03:11 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

If you want a real giggle, go to the test where it says Tuned NA or tuned Turbo cup, use the wrong type of car for the race, ie a turbo for NA etc, and it says the wrong error message, ie in Tuned Turbo, if you use a NA car, it says "this is for NA cars only you cant enter" and the same if you try to use a turbo car in the NA one

BTW I agree with all the points Nightmare and Markus made, but mine doesnt keep crashing, the b***** auto replay thing is infuriating

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 09-02-2000).]
Old 09 February 2000, 03:35 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Nightmare,
is your PSX a bit old?

If it is try turning it upside down (really!). Apparently some internals can warp if they get too hot (especially if you've been using it on carpet (a hard suface is best for airflow). I used to get crash probs with Driver (this cured that).
Old 09 February 2000, 04:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sickboy is right. I had a problem with my GT2 GT Mode disk not working on my PSX, which is a first gen one, ie; purchased on the first day of release in the UK. Turning the PSX on it's head made the disk work.

The bummer was that it worked OK my girlfriends PSX, so I exchanged the disk and now it works on mine OK!! go figure!

I would suggest a replacement disk, but as you are peeved with the game, this will not change with a new disk.
Old 09 February 2000, 04:53 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Angry

And I would like to race my friends in GT Mode not Arcade Mode, where you bounce of walls and come out faster, and can accelerate on the grass!

Where's all the skill should we have a challenge in two player mode?
Old 09 February 2000, 06:01 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Nightmare,

You sound just like your user name (only joking)

We did the best job we could in the time available time - GT2 broke all sales records in the UK in it's first weekend 92,000 (the previous holder was Zelda on N64) and I have just found out that it has received Game of the Year from Edge (and they're very picky) - this will be in next month's issue.

What you have to weigh up is - would you rather wait a few extra months for some of the 'problems' to be fixed or play what is by the whole a very good game now?

I know this sounds a complete cop-out - but generally people are very happy with the game.

Regards

Dario

P.S - Colin Mcrae 2 - WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! - just in today - only driven the focus so far - but graphically the best driving game on the PlayStation.

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2000, 12:19 AM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dario

I understand the old *corporate* "you'll have it ready for X regardless!!!!" attitude (I'm also s/w programmer)

BUT

I can't believe for one moment that whilst playtesting this game, everyone didn't go up to the *menus* programmer and say "Oi! Sort it out mate! The logical order of those menus is ****e! Get a grip or the public'll kill you "

Can't we go padlock this guys garage up with 100 different types. That way everytime he wants to go for a spin, it takes him 1/2 hour just to get the garage door open

Still the BEST EVER driving game EVER! (But is FAR too easy, just went on a spending spree of 8 million last night, bought some cool stuff)

L8r
Old 10 February 2000, 09:24 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

Dario,

Hear what you are saying, but if my company went with that attitude I don't think they would stay in business very long...
Old 10 February 2000, 09:34 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Spence
Best book your return ticket now then [8^) .
Old 10 February 2000, 10:39 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree the auto replay is a pain in the ****.

Also don't like the gear selection set up, but once figured out its not so bad.

As far as I know, the game uses almost all the PSX resource, so perhaps that's why some of old games features aren't there.

Personally, I'd rather live with the current setup for the improved gameplay, that have crap gameplay , but brilliant set up (as in Formula1 98)

D.
Old 10 February 2000, 11:04 AM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

In my defence I don't usually complain about things at all - honest

Sickboy et al - the PSX is a bit old, but this is a problem being shared by everyone I know with the game (about 18 people) - who are suffering to varying degrees. Im sure this isnt all the games fault - the PSX is just overstretched now really...

Dario..... what can I say???? Im sure the deadline wasnt your decision, and as a result the bugs arent your fault, but YES of course I would wait. This is an example of milking a cash cow because you can. Having it as a big opening seller is no surprise at all - but thats based on previews by mags and the first games rep - not this one itself. And mag reviews are always incomplete! How would you feel if the new Scooby came out, and was full of faults making it worse in a lot of respects than the old model and they used that response????

I know it isnt your fault, and your response is the only one possible in the circumstances, but its not very impressive really.... I know a lot of people who will now view GT2000 with some scepticism, and therefore hold off buying a PS2 until they are sure this sort of thing wont be repeated.

I agree that most people sem happy with the game, but then as the original excitement dies down, ten quid says that there will be more and more complaints....!

ooh - I sound just like an old person on 'point of view'

Night
Old 10 February 2000, 11:13 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

Cool

Spence,

Except in Italy!!!
Old 10 February 2000, 01:08 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Thing is, are they gonna fix the bugs in a later (unannounced) release? If so then maybe people could exchange their slightly buggy versions for the pukka fixed one. Can't see it happening but I guess you never know. As I understand it, the US version was worse than the UK one for bugs anyway so maybe they did do a fairly decent job in the time given.
Old 10 February 2000, 01:11 PM
spence
Scooby Regular

Bajie,

Looks like you have seen through me... doh, I'm off back to Italia as Nick suggests...

Still say that is a **** poor attituse when you consider the game cost 40ish quid..!
Old 10 February 2000, 01:34 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Angry

40 quid??? Mine was only £28.
The auto replay really is getting on my ****! Especially as I'm stuck on the I-B licence. I really don't want to see a 106 crash for the 100th time in the slalom test!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 February 2000, 01:48 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Mark Champion,

So don't crash the bloody thing!

Moray
(Got used to (Start)(down)(X) or whatever sequence to cancel the replay very quickly!)

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 10-02-2000).]
Old 10 February 2000, 02:03 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

As I understand it, the US is already on its 2nd release. The 1st release had some pretty bad bugs, including one that irreversably corrupted the garage on the memory card! Sony swapped game disks for those with the earlier version.

I am appalled at the bugs in the UK PAL GT2, and don't accept that nobody was aware of them. I reckon that Sony deliberately released GT2 with full knowledge of what wasn't working to avoid having to put the release date back again.

The fact that lap times aren't saved is such a glaring fault!

Andrew
Old 10 February 2000, 02:12 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Off to Italy is it Spence!
Best stock up on the kiwi fruit then ...
Old 10 February 2000, 02:39 PM
JohnS

If you have complaints, why not send an e-mail to their customer care dept.

I found this address:
Old 10 February 2000, 03:10 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

cheers John - am off to look now...!
Old 10 February 2000, 03:15 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

cheers John - am off to look now...!
Old 10 February 2000, 07:57 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So far my GT2 hasn't crashed once. I can live with the auto replay - just. The only thing that really really annoys me is no record lap time. I simply cannot see how at some point in testing that wasn't picked up and fixed.

Does anyone know (Dario ?) is it saved but not displayed or just not saved ? i.e. if at a later date a less buggy version was released would your best lap suddenly appear ?

Oh the other thing is... I bought a 71 Elan sprint went to tune it and found you can fit a 'Sports Rom' . Please. I ask you. I eventually persuaded myself that it was probably a form of electronic ignition and therfore a feasible mod but it took some doing.

Its minor bugs like this on a playstation game which make me think I should upgrade my PC and use that for games so at least bug fixes and patches are available.

Dean
Old 11 February 2000, 08:02 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

On my US version, it saves all the records but doesn't display them during a race.
Have you looked in 'records'?
Is there a 'records' in the UK version?

Stef.