just post here or if you want e mail me at

motadvice@talk21.com

i'll do my best to help
Old 25 September 2002, 12:43 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers

For starters.... Does the boot on my Mk2 Golf have to open, because there is no external lock and I can't be arsed fitting a solenoid, it was last opened about a Year ago
Old 25 September 2002, 01:00 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

in theory yes as the tester is supposed to examin the boot floor.
(note he could ask for the boot to be emptied and if he was a git then ice installs could be a problem)

in practice if he / she is reasonable then you should be ok, especially if you take parcel shelf out and rear seat can fold down easily

good hint here find a tester thats human and stick to him, try and get your m8's to go there and go with them, that way you get known and have a better time of it
Old 25 September 2002, 01:15 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Cheeky.. but here's another one?

I was given a Vehicle Defect Ticket yesterday for having a small plate on the front of my Scoob.. I have to get it changed and stamped by an MOT Station.

Are they supposed to charge me for this? A Mate said it would cost me a Fiver [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Cheers

Andy
Old 25 September 2002, 01:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Do you know if a MY99 impreza 'should' pass emissions with only the original centre cat in? Some peeps on the board have made it through.....others have not. Thoughts?
Old 25 September 2002, 01:22 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

I have a 94 imported WRX.

Do I need to have a rear fog light fitted for MOT?

There does not appear to have been one fitted before.

Cheers.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:31 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I have bought a 95 import WRX. When I picked it up from the dealers, they had lost the MOT. They went and got me a duplicate which had written on it "duplicate of test Cerfificate" then the number of original. The car hadn't been registered when it was MOT'd so there is only the chassis number to identify the car. In the box where the reg should be it says NOT DISPLAYED. Is this a valid certificate? I've been told that when I need to tax my car in 5 months time, they wont accept the MOT cause it's not displaying the reg. HELP! I'm really quite confused!!!
Old 25 September 2002, 01:58 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

defect not echarge upto MOT station

£5 advised, most round here don't charge for something they can check just by walking to car

Old 25 September 2002, 02:06 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I had to pay a fiver to have my back plate checked (italic writing, back to normal) not on the scoob, on another car.

and he spent 5 minutes examining a normal bog standard number plate to "make sure" it was correct, when it couldnt be more obvious.

whats the co2 level supposed to be under as well, my old RSturbo passed at nearly 4% on idle, but the bloke said he wasnt bothered as it would never have driven if emissions set to legal, and as the area inspector wasnt there it didnt matter. and he didnt bother with the boot, (fcuked solenoid).

have to take my scoob with de-catted HKS Super Drager down there when it's due...
Old 25 September 2002, 02:07 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

JasonWRX

I have just found out that TSL do red bulbs for just this purpose
Simply rewire the offside reversing light to a seperate switch on the dashboard & fit a Red bulb, also looks better than a Halfords bolt on piece of c**p.

You may find dashboard switch has to be the illuminating type to show when the light is on

Stuart
Old 25 September 2002, 05:29 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

sorry for delay - work

all cars registered after april 1st 1980 need a rear fog light

switch must be illuminated / have a warning light

red bulb is good way. if car has twin brake bulbs or tail light bulbs then these can be rewired.

take note mot requirement is different to road traffic act requirement. we just need one fog either central or to offside with a switch and warning. road traffic act and therefore police require that you either have

a single rear fog light mounted central or to offside that is switched, with warnign and only illuminates when dipped headlamps are on

or

twin rear fog lights, switched etc that only illuminate when tail lights are on
Old 25 September 2002, 05:33 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

duplicate mot will have duplicate and original certificate number written at top. it will have the original date of issue and expiry filled in and the original tester. it should also have written at the bottom the date the duplicate was issued and who issued it. (by the way when MOT's become computerised in next 12 ish months you should be able to get a duplicate from any mot station, not just the one that tested the car)

if a vehicle is not registered then the reg box will have something like "not registered written" instead so your sounds ok
Old 25 September 2002, 05:44 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

emission levels depend on age

01/08/76 to 31/07/86 - co < 4.5% HC <1200 ppm
01/08/86 to 31/07/92 - co < 3.5% HC <1200 ppm

01/08/93 to 31/07/95 if in emission
standards annex then at raised idle - co < .30% HC < 200 ppm
Lambda ratio .970 - 1.030
at idle co < .50%

if not in standard then as per 86 to 92 figures

01/08/95 onwards

all cars in annex or not to comply to 92 onwards figures

ie at raised idle CO < .30 % HC < 200 ppm, Lamda .970 - 1.030
idle CO < .50 %

Old 25 September 2002, 07:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I have a few questions if I may be so bold!!

We have a 1 owner, 16 year old Nova in the family with a genuine 56,000miles on it. Its in immaculate condition.

I maintain to the wifey that its worth every minute we spend on just getting it looking as clean as a new car - the tester is always amazed. The engine bay is given an annual wash down, underseal is reapplied each year and its given a damned good polish.

Does the cleanliness of the car affect whether the tester reckons it will pass easy - so they do not look too deeply. However, if a tatty looking car all dirty rolls in would the tester think it would fail and therefore looks deeper??

Pete
Old 26 September 2002, 02:54 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

ugh got flu

er yes a clean car generally does get a better time of it but mostly because if it's spotless then usually everything else is looked after as well. also if its clean underneath then the moisture doesnt cling and so you get less rust.

officially we can refuse to test anything thats filthy. personally if its covered in cow muck (we get a lot of that) i dig as deep as i can get because its often hiding something