Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi Launch Technique?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2001, 09:22 AM
stiv62000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Australia, the official hard launch techique consists of sidestepping the clutch at 5500rpm and short shifting at 7500 rpm. Does this sound right? Comments? Anyone break any thing?
Old 19 August 2001, 02:31 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>Anyone break any thing?[/quote]

lol
Old 19 August 2001, 02:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear the words "ouch" come into it!!
Try from 4k, dont side step the clutch but bring it up, side stepping just sh@gs your transmission up as its pretty damn harsh
The hardest part is not "bogging" your turbo down, if you do it you will know what i mean, ie dropping out of the turbo and your power band but if you get it right.... Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
As for changing gear..... when you feel the engine start to slacken off, then change, but i have a normal uk car (with ppp fitted) so mine is good all the way to the red line where as it use to be a little lacking near there
Hope this helps.

Tony
Old 20 August 2001, 08:50 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Alternatively you can use my technique.... press the SLS button, depress accelerator all the way to the floor, wait for the boost to reach at least 0.5bar, preferably about 1 bar (at this point it will be sat at about 4500 RPM and producing lots of flames), then come up pretty sharp, but not too much so, on the clutch, a slight chirp and about 0.5 seconds later it's time to change into second and it's plain sailing from there on When the clutch engagement is just right, it is as if someone had smacked you up the rear with a freight train! Suffice to say it is brutal beyond belief on the gearbox and should not be used every day For extra effect it is possible to turn on the ALS to get some nice flames during gear changes

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 20 August 2001, 09:07 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL Pat........
Old 20 August 2001, 11:12 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Talking

I managed to record a 4.41 0-60 today at the BAnzai thrash in my RA, by sticking 6000/6500 on it then letting the clutch in pretty sharpish...

I promise i will NEVER NEVER treat my car that badly again!

Rus
Old 21 August 2001, 09:43 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL @ Pat!
Your car really is something special matey. I think that it will take some time for my drive with you to be forgotten! Your exhaust still sounding as sexy as ever? Nicest sounding one I have come across so far, shrtly followed by my new one. The blitz is animal!
I personally still haven't got the rocket start pinned down yet, but I rarely do it with my old beast anyway. I'm more into drop down 3rd gear fly-bys myself .

Cheers,

Nick