Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX Sounds!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2001, 08:35 PM
DuggE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys/Gals well I finally picked up my WRX MY01 with morettes in blue/black this morning and I think the car is awesome!! with the morettes its really looks the dogs!! my only criticism is that the stereo sounds very tinny even with the bass at max.....is there anyway to improve the bass sound by changing the speakers alone ? I don't really want major internal surgery on my beloved car just for a heavier bass line so changing the whole stereo is something I wanna avoid if poss!!! anyone got any ideas ?
Old 01 September 2001, 09:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post in the ICE forum and you'll get more replies. To get good bass you really need to change the headunit and the speakers - assuming from what you say you don't want a sub.

A good set of 6-6.5" component speakers in the front doors such as Infinity, JBL etc will set you back under £100. A decent new headunit will be £150 upwards. You should put sound-deadening material in the front doors. A good amp and wiring kit will set you back £200 or >>>++£.

New speakers have much better magnets, coils and cones and are generally better made with much better power handling and low frequency extension. A new headunit will be clearer, but will give much more power as well. Unfortunately to get really good bass you need an amp, which could be mounted under the passenger seat or in the boot. Well worth it, even just to power some front speakers. Wouldn't bother too much about changing the rear speakers as you want most of the volume at the front and the rears as rear fill. If your HU is double height (Double DIN) you can get adaptors to take the slimmer variety of aftermarket headunits. Unfortunately you will not get good bass without a hike in power - bass notes require much more power as you have to move more air, and the factory headunit just isn't up to the job even in MY01.