ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STP Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 02:07 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

i was perusing thruogh my local motor spares shop when I noticed some STP 'Octane Booster'. It was about a fiver a bottle and did basically 50litres. Aside from thinking that was bl**dy expensive I also thought that I'd never seen it mentioned on this BBS before (NF and Millers mentioned regularly). Is this because it is cr@p??????? Anyone no anything about it?

John
Old 07 September 2001, 02:38 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have used the STP stuff once (Orange bottle I think) and Millers.

The STP stuff really made a difference to the performance of the engine smoother power delivery and more power compared to SUL on its own. The Millers stuff is cheaper and doesn't seem to make as dramatic a difference as STP.

Apparently Millers Octane boost has some sort of regulating effect on the point at which the fuel ignites and the temperatures generated inside the engine(search for flame front). I am not sure if the same is true of STP.

Millers is apparently FIA approved for what it's worth.

Ultimately and with no evidence for this what so ever I felt that Millers was probably safer option so I use that.

Scoobymania might be able to advise you better as I'm not sure that I fully understand all of the arguements for and against octane boosters.

Regards

Jason

Old 07 September 2001, 03:00 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

If you want any NF email me.

Old 07 September 2001, 03:04 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Wink

If I were to be cynical (and unbiased of course) would an octane booster get FIA approval as it would give no unfair performance advantage?
Old 07 September 2001, 03:31 PM
IggDawg
Scooby Regular

Hey there.

I'm from the states, and that octane booster stuff is dirt cheap and in any Wal*Mart. Its useless stuff. Everyone tosses that stuff into their car to try and make it go faster, and it doesn't do a whole heck of a lot. sometimes I humor myself and toss a little into whatever car I'm driving and it doesn't do much. It DOES however make the engine ru nhotter and sometimes has solvents in it that can damage your seals. See that stuff just below the NF stuff on the chart just above? Toluene? I work in a chemistry lab, and that stuff's one of our stock solvents. don't spill any on yourself. and for God's sake, keep it out of your engine. I had to use octane booster in my 1970 Lincoln Mark III. Its 7.0 L V8 would turtle unless I threw in 93 at the pump, some lead substitute, and some octane booster. Thats just because it was old and was used to high octane, leaded fuel. Its certainly not worth the money you pay.
Old 07 September 2001, 06:22 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've only used STP once, due to its cost (£9 for 1 tank ), but other than not mixing properly it made a huge difference to my MY00.
I normally use Millers as I have found it to be the best compromise between smooth running and price.
I am using NF at the moment, but sorry Craig, using either single or double strength seems to be of no performance / engine smoothness advantage over SUL, I do get the normal mpg improvement I see from all other boosters. I will try putting a whole bottle in when down at the rallyX, but at that sort of strength it will be the most expensive tank of fuel I've ever put in the car.

Just the way I've found things
Old 07 September 2001, 06:56 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Craig/Dingy
Are you guys going up to K'hill next weekend?
Old 08 September 2001, 04:29 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robertio:
<B>other than not mixing properly it made a huge difference to my MY00.[/quote]

Robertio, serious question, how do you mix it properly/not mix it properly??? Niavely I just pour it in before filling up, is this wrong?

Thanks fo rall the responses, thus far it looks like......
Scientifically speaking....... NF is better
Practice...................... STP seems to have given decent performance.

Old 08 September 2001, 04:35 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Smile

Disco, you do just pour the bottle in and fill up with petrol, for some reason though the STP stuff worked fine for 90% of the tank, then I got a huge surge in performance for a couple of miles (over 100yrds quicker between 30 and 100 ), the car then started running as if it was just SUL in the tank .

Probably just a strange blip, that would prove impossible to reproduce, but mentioned it just in case.