ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How many Legacy owners on the board?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2000, 09:31 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

There seems to be more Legacy owners starting to appear on the board, I was wondering how many of us there are - I know we are looked down on a bit by the Impreza drivers so perhaps we should stick together

I always get very strange looks when i wave at Impreza drivers from my GT-B

Paul
Old 19 February 2000, 09:43 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Well, there's at least two of us - '96 RS-B
Old 19 February 2000, 10:42 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I currently have a scoob MY 98 turbo and when its time to change (possibly in 2 years), I was thinking of getting a legacy GT-B. There's nothing wrong with the scoob but wife and family , etc may dictate the need to get something bigger but I still want something with good performance.

How do you rate the GT-B?
(I understand performance is almost on par with the scoob).

What's insurance like?
How easy are they to import or buy?

Info from any other legacy owners greatly appreciated.

D.
Old 19 February 2000, 05:30 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Gave a GT-B a good stonking in Milton Keynes this afternoon.....bless him.

Stef.
Old 19 February 2000, 06:36 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to get one sorted out to turn into a rally car over the next couple of months.

Either that or buy one ready prepared.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Simon
Old 19 February 2000, 06:43 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Simon

Go for an early legacy turbo, the later twin turbos are far more difficult and expensive to tune, although they do have at least 65bhp more to start with.

There also seems to be far more parts available as the high perfomance Mk2 (BG) legacies were never officially imported or rallied.

Paul
Old 19 February 2000, 06:54 PM
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Smile

My mate has a 94 Legacy Turbo 5 door. Driven in his normal 'enthusiatic' style he has no bother keeping up with my standard Imp. Much more of a 'q' car than mine - excellent laugh to see the faces of GTi drivers when they get Lagacied! ;-)
Old 19 February 2000, 07:06 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I raise my hand.
We currently own a 2.2 GX Legacy saloon as well as a Scoob. Have also owned a 2.0 Turbo Legacy saloon.

Mick
Old 20 February 2000, 01:54 PM
Matt S
Scooby Newbie

Not sure if I count being that I'm from the states, but I have a first generation Legacy turbo with the EJ22T( 2.2 turbo). Very fun car with tons of potential. It's going in to have a 3" exhaust fitted from the turbo back with an Apex-i N1 muffler and no cats. Should get some attention from the Impreza guys then !
Old 21 February 2000, 12:25 AM
JOHN BRODERICK
Scooby Regular

Cool

there's more of us out there than we think
gt-b i'v only ever seen estates are there saloon ?

john
Old 21 February 2000, 12:50 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Saloon's are a scarce as hen's teeth - my RS-B is one of only two I know about in the UK.

Brian
Old 21 February 2000, 01:15 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

All GT-B's are estates, the fast saloons were known as RS (of various type, RS, RX ,RS-B, RSK etc)

You can get a GT saloon in the states, butthis is a NA 2.5sohc

Paul
Old 21 February 2000, 04:00 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

do i count??? being new AND AMERICAN...

i have a 99GT (2.5 N/A) over here in the states...
Old 22 February 2000, 01:31 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Subie Gal!

It would be extremely bad form to exclude a colonial cousin merely on the basis that one hails from the other side of the pond.

... and anyone who drives a Subaru shows a remarkable degree of good sense and style.

You are most welcome.

Brian
Old 22 February 2000, 02:42 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Talking

gee... thanks a lot!! nice to be welcomed!

and yeah, I do so love my Legacy!
Old 26 February 2000, 11:46 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Subie Gal
Is that graphic displaying your pertfect american teeth ?
There's a guy round here with a Legacy Turbo estate. I was doing my best (full throttle)in my previous F-Reg Cavalier across 'the bumpy road' ( single track) up to 80 mph with a large blue estate chewing my rear bumper. I recognised it at once. As we hit the dual carrigeway up hill he drew alongside ginned waved and disappeared! (With my foot planted all the way!) I just knew I had to have another Subaru Turbo!

Mick
Old 27 February 2000, 11:46 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Wink

How many Legacy owners are out there ? I've run a 92 Legacy Turbo Saloon and have only ever seen 3 others (saloons) in the last 2 years. Shame Subaru didn't carry on with a performace Legacy saloon in the UK. The B4 RSK looks great but will a Subaru dealer 500 yards from my front door the ease of having a UK car made me go for an Imporeza Turbo which I'm now waiting for.
Old 05 March 2000, 03:37 AM
MOC
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Well pnebbs,
It looks like there's about a dozen of us.
So how do you suggest we stick together?

I myself have just recently acquired a 92 Turbo Estate and think it's absolutely F*~#+&g brilliant. I didn't know they existed and was totally blown away by it's performance. I did 135mph (before bottling it)uphill with more-to-come . And it's so unassuming that boy racers and Make-Believe sports car drivers are such fun-to-burn.
I've still not quite pushed it yet on country roads but, as the light nights are beginning to head our way I should have it under control soon.

Mark

[This message has been edited by MOC (edited 17-03-2000).]
Old 26 July 2000, 08:59 PM
SMOKIN
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I must be the newest member of the Legacy club......2 weeks ago I took delivery of a spanking new B4 RSK... and it's FANTASTIC!

I'm currently living/working in Cyprus and would be glad of the contact with UK fans, especially as I will be returning there with the beauty next year.

S B.
Old 26 July 2000, 09:09 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Cool

I suspect there will be a lot more legacy owners when it comes to changing cars. I'll probably be one when me MY00 starts looking a little tired
Old 16 August 2000, 09:51 AM
Rob Haylock
Scooby Newbie

Lovely to see a few Legacy's out there. How common are they in the UK? Here in NZ they're pretty common, mostly used imports from Japan and rarely "standard".
Lucky old me though, I picked up a "New Zealand new" (as opposed to questionable import) 1991 Legacy RS with 49,833km on it, FSH and totally standard.
The previous owners were a retired couple who traded it in on a brand spankers 4-door STi Impreza!!, so it was (and still is) a "minter".
I love my Legacy, the Impreza is an awesome vehicle but it's smaller and more "out there" to look at. Still, if someone gave me the keys to an STi6, I wouldn't say no......
Long live Subaru Turbos!!
Old 16 August 2000, 04:10 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

BG twin-turbo Legacies are available as estates (GT and GT-B) and also in saloon form (GT and RS).
Note that Japanese GT saloons are different to US versions. We all know their obvious differences.
Old 18 August 2000, 09:13 PM
PETER WALKER
Scooby Regular

Hi folks, I'm another Legacy owner. I've a first generation 1995 Legacy Turbo Estate.Having had a 1991 Turbo Saloon before this.Apart from the usual noisy tappets every once and a while,the car is fantastic.
The estate I have now had the engine slightly tweeked by Prodrive before I got it,and it's giving out about 240BHP.The only problem is, up here in the Highlands of Scotland the roads are nice and quiet but there're twisty as well.I've been trying hard to find an uprated suspension kit for the car ,within my budget! Scooby Sport told me that Leda are now doing a kit which has to be fitted by them.Unfortunately it costs £1400 which is way over my budget.I'm sure this kit is fab, but I'm not wanting to go Touring Car Racing with my estate!!
Can anyone help me find a cheaper kit?
Old 05 September 2001, 12:13 AM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another Legacy owner checking in. I've got a '92 Turbo Saloon in white.

A few mods on it :- K+N induction kit, blitz dump valve, superchip, full Mongoose exhaust (turbo back), STi carbon fibre strut brace, 4pot brakes, Impreza 16" alloys and front seats.

I'm very happy with it, and its still going strong with nearly 142k miles on it.

James

[This message has been edited by JCM76 (edited 05 September 2001).]
Old 05 September 2001, 12:39 AM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

I have a 91 Legacy turbo saloon which has done 94k, and it is in the middle of a major mod project. So far it has ported, flowed skimmed heads, De-cat, Mongoose exhaust, K&N panel filter, 1.0 bar boost, Forge dump valve (not an atmospheric type), quickshift, Sti clutch, 7.5x17s etc etc etc.
I do agree that Impreza owners look down on Legacy owners. My main aim with the car is to get it to the point where I can kick some Impreza butt on track days (without spending £20k)
As regards suspension, AVO do a kit that fit, and Whiteline in Australia do A/R bars, strut braces etc. Brakes are the same as early Impreza. The Legacy deserves more respect than it is normally given, after all, without it the Impreza would never have been.
Old 05 September 2001, 12:56 AM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Another Legacy owner checking in!!
'94 turbo saloon 147kmiles and still going strong - only slight front end vibration above 95mph!
Alex
I know there are a few more in the US, OZ and NZ, but how many are in the UK

[This message has been edited by Shimster (edited 05 September 2001).]
Old 05 September 2001, 11:53 AM
Govert
Scooby Newbie

Peter,

I have a 92 LEgacy Turbo Saloon, LHD, I think there must be less than 10 in the Netherland. I did buy some good suspension parts from Middleton rally team, also full 3" exhaust with high flow CAT and special air filters. After the fun and one cracked turbo, (my own fault) the car is back to standard. It's done 120,000 miles now and I will have it rebuilt at 150,000 because there is no LHD B4 available.

Regards,

Gover
Old 05 September 2001, 01:07 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

99 B4 RSK (saloon)

there's a few of the new Legacies in the UK now I think, (Hi Paul w, Brian, Ed F, Grant, Colin)
although I do see more estates than saloons

check out
Old 05 September 2001, 02:29 PM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

Question

Bigrex, how do you find the STi clutch? I suffer from terrible clutch judder and was wondering which one might be best for the car.

There has also been mention in other threads about getting the flywheel lightened and balanced a the same time, what do you think?

Cheers
James
Old 05 September 2001, 06:39 PM
Luke
BANNED

North London Legacy estate Crew member !!!

Waiting foe a 4.pot upgrade. Car has 125k and has hit 150 (On the clock..)
Dont give a monkeys if its scratched,spend my money on good service (A new Steve Lawson Customer )

These cars are so discrete, have had some serious fun!!

How about a meet??

Luke

Quick Reply: How many Legacy owners on the board?