help

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 10:43 PM
kna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi

im looking 2 buy a scooby but there are so many 2 chose from
and i need some help ive seen a wrx sti 555 96/n 4sale but cant find any info on that model?? i can find 555 but not wrx sti 555 can any one help? also any tips on buying a scooby jap/uk what to look out 4 how do i tell if its uk or import any info u guys can give me would be really appreciated thanks
Old 17 October 2002, 10:45 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Hi

A good place to start is the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club(SIDC) FAQ on impreza's.

It'll tell you pretty much all you need to know
http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Feel free to ask any more questions if this does'nt answer them.
Old 17 October 2002, 10:55 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

indeed that is where i got started, fantastic resource.
Old 17 October 2002, 11:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

UK cars normally have headlight washers and a bright button, no aircon as standard and only rev to 7k rpm. (should also have a service book in english )
Jap imports normally have more power, higher spec'd cars but need a MINIMUM of SUL fuel (and you cant take them to UK dealerships for servicing, has to be a speciallist).
Both will cost around the same to service and run, most parts are the same but the STi's have different engine parts, diffs and gear ratio's dependent on model, servicing is 7.5k or 6 months, whichever is first, costs do vary but id set a good 500 quid a year aside (normally one cheap and one not so cheap service, 100 quid and 350-500 quid). Older uk cars will have 2pot brakes, later uk have 4pots, the STi's had 4pots a couple of years before the uk cars but they are still quite pathetic
FSH is a must on either a uk or jap import (where applicable) and the jap car will be more expensive to insure than a uk car.
Just look at spending over 5k a year on these cars (fuel, servicing, parts, upgrades etc) insurance will NOT be included in this ammount
Last thing, dont buy the first one you find, look around a bit until you find a GOOD one! there are many to choose from but some have been totally neglected

Tony