MY00 - too smooth through the Revs?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 12:40 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

quick question, I've had my MY00 'completely standard' Impreza Turbo for a year now and never really experienced the "kick in the back" when the turbo cuts in, its all a little too smooth - but fast enough. Having previously driven a Cossie I was expecting an equal ammount of punch from the Scoob, but alas...

So question is, is the MY00 generally a smoother performer than previous years models, or are they all a bit "smooth" or do I have an OAP engine in the car?

Any thoughts....?

cheers

Neil
Old 10 September 2001, 12:51 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MY00's are very smooth but also very quick when run in you dont actually feel any lag and the only time your going to get the feeling of being pushed back into the seat is if you get the PPP fitted
When i had my brakes uprated to Brembo 4 pots one of the guys who fitted them was out with me to see if all was ok with them, he was amazed how quick we were going when he saw i was doing 90! (kmh ) then again that Ferrari was also amazed that i outpaced him too

Tony (MY00 PPP'd)

Old 10 September 2001, 12:55 AM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The old kick in the back was more noticeable on the 96 model year cars, because there was more lag from the turbo. it was a bit like an on/off switch, where as, the newer cars have less lag and more torque lower down the rev range, hence a much more progressive acceleration. Also I have noticed if you become a passenger in your own car and let some else drive, you will notice a lot more of that kick.
Old 10 September 2001, 03:58 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Got a MY00 meself mate, and it definitely has a decent kick as the turbo wakes up. Probably not as severe as some of the older cars, as Robin says, but it's definitely there.

I took to the passenger seat yesterday on the Cat & Fiddle so that my mate could have a drive, he's considering a MY01.

Scared the hell outta me!

Now it's gotta go back to the dealers, as it seems that left hand side of the car is definitely faster than the right.

Maybe yours is underboosting, or not fully run-in yet? If you're positive that it's not running right it might be worth getting hold of a boost guage.

[This message has been edited by whip (edited 10 September 2001).]